A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Game style Genesis or advance?

ZFG

ok, I have gotten some computer trouble and all the GM files is gone, so I'm starting from scratch. I need to know wich style I should use, genesis or advance. Any suggestions?

'Votes:

GENESIS: 2

ADVANCE: 1

Eh, I'd probably need to know a little more about where you're going with it before I could make that call.

Personally, I prefer Genesis style just because they seem "fuller"...I'm not really sure of the word, but they just have more of a presence for me.

Genesis definitely. It's more suited to a computer's display and the Sonic 3 animation set beats out any of the advance games for overall number of actions, making it the most versatile Sonic sprite available.

You cant be serious. Advance series has at least 3 sprite sheets full of different sprites for each character, 4 if you include the Sonic Battle ones.

i'm gonna have to go with advance, i just like the bold crisp look to it, but it's really down to personal preference, so you probably shouldn't be asking other people what to use, as it's you who will have to make the assets to go with it, and the advance stuff you were making before was looking pretty beast (your floor tiles, for example)

If you asshats realized what you were looking at, you'd note that well over half of the sprites in the Sonic Advance 3 sprite sheet are composed of useless bullshit animations. For the purpose of utility (what I care about), the Sonic 3 sprite sheet does better. If what you want are a bunch of bullshit stunts and weird moves involving the other characters, I guess Sonic Advance 3 is what you want (is there any other choice)? But if what you want are sprites that are well equipped for whatever you want to put in your levels, Sonic Advance 3 certainly doesn't serve you better. I personally have no use whatsoever for Sonic whipping out a hammer. Also noting that if you do use any of the Sonic Advance art sets, you are constraining yourself to the worst enemies in the series in terms of art. The only time you get anything out of it really is when you pull a Streak on everyone and create 90% of your own stuff with a graphical style that maybe two thirds of a person here can pull off otherwise.

Now, here's a thought... what are you missing out on when you go Sonic Advance 3?

Well, first, pushing. Thats one that gets at least a little use in all of the Genesis Sonic games.

Second, Sonic spinning laterally while standing in place. Goodbye to some of the interesting platforms in Hydrocity Zone and Sky Sanctuary.

Then a personal favorite of mine, Sonic stopped/walking/running while spinning on his side. I'll miss you centrifuge barrel things from Metropolis and Flying Batter, and those weird gravity chambers in Death Egg from S+K.

Finally, the last one I'll mention, the monkey bar animation from Flying Battery. Goodbye monkey bars! I suppose I could always use the cheaper looking pole sliding thing from Sonic Advance 1 instead.

But oh boy, it's all worth it for that weird spinning kick thing, all the weird break-dance attack moves that only serve to slow you down, and the 50 frame victory pose with multiple thumbs up and peace sign action isn't it!

One more thing Seraph, the Sonic Advance sprite sheets aren't very compatible with one another.

Besides, we have animation additions to the Sonic 3 sprites right here.

Well, i always find the advance series far better to use because i dont ever make classic styled sonic fangames. I can find use for most of the animations in the advance sheets, and yeah for the most part they are quite compatable. At least i havent seen any screwups.

Guest Shadix

Or you can craft your own sprite frames and thus the "versatility" of the given spriteset is meaningless. You could shoot me the "well maybe they don't wanna make sprites", but at the same time that sort of shoots the support of "we already have sprite additions here"

There are Advance 3 push animations, for starters.

Sadv3-Tails.gif

Secondly, if you look at all those supposedly useless animations, they can be put to more practical use to create new frames and make smoother animations.

The advance sprites can also be very versatile if used correctly. I'm sure if you intelligently used the right sprites and tweaked them to match more that the Advance sprites could work together. (excluding Battle of course, I don't even think the Battle sprites are the same size.)

Lastly, prettiness and smoothness does matter, maybe not for you, but it is a very important part of attaining a high sense of immersion. Just think of how unstylish and bland Mecha Madness would be had it used the Genesis sprites. The Advance sprites have their place, it just depends on the application.

The Genesis sprites absolutely couldn't have worked for Mecha madness, not because of stylistic appeal, but because there simply aren't the types of animations Streak was looking for. Streak needed fighting type stuff, Advance offered it. You can act like you could just make new frames for them, but why bother? It's a lot of work to create quality animation, and if another sprite has all the shit ready for you, you are good to go.

I guess I just missed the pushing sprites. Oh well, that leaves the other 3.

Well, first, pushing. Thats one that gets at least a little use in all of the Genesis Sonic games.

Advance1 & 3 do have pushing sprites. What you talking about?

Second, Sonic spinning laterally while standing in place. Goodbye to some of the interesting platforms in Hydrocity Zone and Sky Sanctuary.

If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, the jumping animation works fine for that.

Then a personal favorite of mine, Sonic stopped/walking/running while spinning on his side. I'll miss you centrifuge barrel things from Metropolis and Flying Batter, and those weird gravity chambers in Death Egg from S+K.

You see that flipping animation Sonic does when he hits a Spring in any Advance game? Yeah, that's the same animation.

Finally, the last one I'll mention, the monkey bar animation from Flying Battery. Goodbye monkey bars! I suppose I could always use the cheaper looking pole sliding thing from Sonic Advance 1 instead.

Overrated, anyways.

Other things missing in Advance sprites: standing in place without moving; rotating while standing in place without moving (Carnival Night); running around a cylinder (Lava Reef, Sky Sanctuary); and holding on for dear life (Hydrocity, Mushroom Hill), among other things I don't recall. These are not easily replaced, either, so they will sorely be missed.

Other than that, there's just enough animation to match every action you might ever need. The problem is, the art standard is so high, designing anything complex of your own can be an extremely annoying chore.

You would think so but all of my sprites have yet to see a complaint. I mix Sadv3 and Sonic battle pretty clearly and I never heard you say a thing.

I would have, but then I took a "I wouldn't bother trying to fix the shading, so I doubt he would" approach and just let go.

I'm thinking DW did too, maybe.