A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Game style Genesis or advance?

ZFG

Streak, I don't comment on that because I acknowledge that you don't have any other choice. Yes, it's obvious, but there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. You want all these fighting moves at the same time as you want the platforming. So the stylistic differences just have to be ignored.

As for everything you said Aero, I had already acknowledged the pushing one, The spring animation is NOT the same animation as the one I'm talking about, and yeaaah. Also, I mentioned rotating while standing in place and not moving ala Carnival Night... though I used Hydrocity as the example.

The spring animation is NOT the same animation as the one I'm talking about

It's not?

attachment.php?attachmentid=762&stc=1&d=1209575227

Sure looks to be that way...

Also, I mentioned rotating while standing in place and not moving ala Carnival Night... though I used Hydrocity as the example.

I don't remember a platform like that in Hydrocity... hmmm...

post-14-138639762024_thumb.png

Aero : You know those spinning columns that would go up and down, and you had to use them to get up through the only hole in higher platforms? When you landed on those, you'd do that spinning animation.

I remember now. That's spinning while standing still, though.

Yeah, it's not, because the one from SAdv 3 isn't really running. He's just flailing his feet a little and there is no emphasis on foot planting. There are many little differences between the two that really change what they are showing. It wouldn't look natural in the same gimmicks.

It's actually from SAdvan2, for use in corkscrews. I really don't see why It can't be used for the other things. It looks "natural" enough to me.

Actually, I was just going by the spring animation. For all I know, that one actually does it. But since you said spring animation, I watched said animation in game rather than trying to visualize it frame by frame in my head from the sprite sheet.

But then again, it's Sonic Advance 2 anyway, so... not quite on point then.

@Sereph: Hell no they aren't. Your eyes would have to be pretty jacked up to think that Sonic Battle uses the same style as Sonic Advance 3 or that Sonic Advance 3 uses the same style as Sonic Advance. Battle especially so.

attachment.php?attachmentid=763&stc=1&d=1209618257

Order from Left to Right -> Sonic Battle, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2

I picked rather slow/idle poses from each sprite sheet for a short comparison. Obviously, Sonic Battle uses a different shading style and more straight lines from the others and Sonic Advance 2 is just plain ****ed up. Sonic Advance 3 mostly reverts to the Sonic Advance style, with some exceptions. First, the arms look longer and bulkier, most noticeable in the walking frames, and in any other frames where the arms stick out straight rather than bending. Second, Sonic's limbs in Sonic Advance 3 are more likely to become curved in the bones instead of rigid like in Sonic Advance 1. Light Source in Sonic Advance 1 comes from more above and to the right rather than from the lower vantage in Sonic Advance 3.

Jumping especially changes between the two games, but I'm not going to put a whole lot into that. The change is however a reflection of the animation changes in both sets.

post-17-138639762025_thumb.png

Note that a handful of the more common animations are reused from Advan1 to Advan3:

attachment.php?attachmentid=764&stc=1&d=1209661989

These 12 frames are used for jumping in Advan2 and 3. The last 4 frames at the bottom are used for rolling. Advan1 didn't have the first 8 sprites, so the rolling frames had to be used for jumping as well.

Sometimes the sprites needed to be updated for consistency between Advan2 and 3, as shown here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=765&d=1209662263

(Note: the Sonic frames shown are the same in both 2 and 3)

In otherwords, they're different enough, so you have to be careful when mixing and matching.

post-14-138639762026_thumb.png

post-14-138639762027_thumb.jpg

The difference is so small that it makes no fucking sense to even bring it up

who looks at sprites blown up by 8000%

200%. And it's noticeable. But if you don't care about having art consistency, whatever. =/

I, personally, am an accuracy nut. It would bother me. I wouldn't say anything to you about it, but it would bother me.

...ugh. we're nitpicking at what seems to be the most fucking retarded thing ive seen be nitpicked on in ages. They redo every animation in the game for every sprite sheet but follow the exact same proportions and shading styles, YES even in sonic battle. If you can seriously see a difference in Sonic Battle and adv3, then im just blind.