A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

I'm Back, and I'm Kicking Bottom

DragonXVI

You may remember "RedXVI"

You may also perhaps remember a few of the following games. Sonic Khaos, (Or was it Kaos? I can't even remember myself now...), Sonic Thirdscape, Sonic Thirdscape 2, Sonic MAdventure and the "Probably-Only-TFH-Was-In-Development-Longer" Ill-Fated Sonic MAdventure 2. You may even remember "Sonic vs Waffle X" Minigame I did for one S.A.G.E. because I had nothing to submit that year (It was a Powerstone parody), and some of you might even remember the whopping 3 levels of Sonic Vs Eggman or my fancy Sonic: Geonicide City hoax :D I'm sure I did a 10th Ann thing as well...

If not, remember Sonic: Time Attacked? I did some of the music for that one... Even got my name in the credits for SRB2 and Mystic's Addon too, and . I even did a fair bit of Sonic Epoch's original score and once programmed half (if not most) of the 2nd S.A.G.E. interactive experience under the watchful helm of Luckett...

And if you're really lucky, you'll remember "Sonic Adventure 2 Minutes" and "Highest Heaven", my crazy Tails Puzzle-Platformer, or perhaps even "The Caffeine Enhanced Ninja"'s many incarnations, or "OMFG! NINJAS!" or perhaps even my forays into multiplayer games with "Sonic Deathmatch" and "Metroid Online?"

Wow... When I list it like that I really was quite busy back in them days huh?

If absolutely none of these things ring any bells whatsoever, I've obviously been away longer than I thought :P But no matter! Some of you will, and some of you may be wondering where the hell I've been for... a few years now. I surfaced a few times on various boards but never really stayed around for no longer than 5 minutes to voice an opinion on latest game releases and then disappear again.

So where have I been?

Well I'm not about to admit I've been away for 5 years working secretly on a Super-Ultra Sonic Game that will revolutionise Fangames for years to come (Much as I'd like), because that's a lie :P Truth is, I was busy with other things.

I went to University for 4 years to study Games Programming, learned the whistful arts of C, C++ and C#, Physics, AI, Procedural Generation, 3D Vector Maths and all that nonesense, and emerged 4 years later with some knowledge in Rigid Body Dynamics I'd probably forget in 3 seconds and an honours degree in software engineering and the knowledge that I now know what A*, Scenegraphs, Finite State Machines and the like actually are.

Then I entered a competition to, with the help of 4 friends, create an original game prototype in the space of 10 weeks. We made essentially Guitar Hero meets Zelda - A Rhythm RPG called "Ragnarawk" controlled entirely by the Guitar Hero controller (This included walking around talking to NPCs) - And we won. We won a lot. Google the name and you'll see what I mean.

I'm now working for ("The Man" as many hippies would have say) a major Games Company as a Games Programmer so I'm pretty much where I wanted to be, and truth be told I owe a lot of it to SFGHQ. This place was one of the main reasons I seriously got into making games

Back when I joined, games were made with CnC & The Games Factory (There was no MMF at this point) and were... 'Charming' in their simplicity. Through endless hacking, tweaking and fiddling we'd eventually try our hand at our own methods, using various extensions, to try and recreate a Sonic Engine as close as possible. Hell, I remember the time that Slopes were a hot new feature for Fangames (As were, at the time, "Static Engines"), and Loops were just out of the question entirely :P With all these limitations, some of the best games tried to find a way to make their games "Unique" instead of just a direct Sonic Engine clone, and this gave rise to many games I still remember to this day. To this day it was one of the best online communities I've been in, but at the time more and more people were leaving - Either fed up with the community or fed up with Fangames in general, and a lot of friends vanished to do their own thing.

Now we're on what, MMF2? C++? Things have certainly improved since then. I've seen that little 3D Project lying around here, and I've caught up on how Retro Sonic (After all these years) is doing, plus the many other viciously close attempts at recreating the old girl (Nexus, XG and the like). It's good to see that we've come a good way since Tails' Bible Adventures :P

So now I'm back. What's next...

'Something' may return. At heart I've always loved the original Sonic games and I won't get into what I think of the newest ones on this forum. I enjoyed trying to map my own little Story around the Sonic Universe while trying to come up with fun ways to play them. In my spare time I've been coding a little 2D/3D Engine (I've done C++ and C# and I'm settling on C# for now) for me to spit out little Indie Game ideas and you never know, I may return to the realm of Sonic Fangames yet, complete with my trademark use of:

a) Explosions

B) Ridiculous Storylines

c) Photoshop Lens Flares

d) Impossible Boss Fights

But I'll obviously have to wait and see. I don't want to promise anything this early... I can see the competition's gotten a lot tougher since I was last here (And I see Clickteam finally got around to including proper rotation and maths :P). But now I'm back, older, wiser and with 5 years of Code-fondling under my belt I'm curious to see what would happen if I went back to Sonic...

Of course one reason I came back was to see if TFH was finished yet *Slaps Blaze* :P

So. What did I miss? :D

Red! I remember back in the day when you became a SFG admin, you were a pretty chill guy. Then one day... you just stopped showing up. XD I'm Ducky, I kissed your ass a couple times back in the day. So I'm going to do alittle bit more of that again. Thirdscape 2 was groundbreaking and established you as a God in the fangame community. ;p

Honestly, not much has changed. Except the people, pretty much everyone was replaced by a new all-star cast. Jackles gone, Covox is gone, PC0 is still around but barely pops his head in. SFG got hackedz0rd hardcore and we had to switch back to EZBread for a while, but eventually after some forum switches we wound up where we are now.

Good to know you're an official game programmer now! I figured when you disappeared, it had to do with college. It's weird knowing that these past 5 years of sitting around in these forums making comics for people to giggle to, you're off somewhere going through intense training on becoming an uber game programmer. 40 lashes a day?

You didn't miss too much. Just new programs and members and the like.

Also, you don't remember me, but I've played your stuff way back in the day. I think it's been seven or eight years now since I first joined. Welcome back.

EDIT: Yup, 8 years next month. I first started downloading games and pirating TGF just before my birthday in 8th grade. Good times.

Pirating? Shocking!

Although admittedly I can't remember exactly how MMF came into my possession all those years ago... But I'm sure it was entirely legal and not at all skullduggerous.

EZboard? Christ that must've been fun :P Anytime I hear that name I get that "VOICE ENABLED BY MESSAGEBAY" nonsense they added once stuck in my head... Good to see S.A.G.E. is still going strong too.

The names do ring a bell, but it has indeed been a while :)

Wow...I was just playing the old MAdventure 2 demo when I saw this topic. I think I have powers.

Anyway, I was a big fan of your stuff back in the day. It's what "inspired" me to learn how to sprite...and probably also why I can't do anything but Crackers sprites. XD

If that 'something' is MAdventure 2 I will die happy

I'd originally pondered about having a go at a Sonic Engine in C#, but now Sonic Worlds has more or less rendered that effort futile (To an amazing degree I might add) :P After a night of messing around all I had to show for it was Tails runningly buggily up and down various ramps and loops, and I can't argue with how it's done these days (Admittedly there's apparantly a bit of a collision speed limit which could probably be solved with some clever ray-casting or while loops, not sure how MMF/GM handles that these days)

So if anything It'd probably have to be something different to the traditional Sonic game for me to stand out, and that leads me back to 2 different locations.

One of which I prefer over the other.

Hmm.. *Ponders*

I don't know what you're talking about, TFH has plenty of momentum now that I can stop worrying about how to handle slopes and loops :stare:

Good to see you back and I hope you stick around. There've been plenty of "I'm Back!"s from people around the internet that consist of around five or six posts before they vanish in to the aether again.

OMFG ITS RED.

Wow, its awesome to see how successful you've been. Great to have such a contribution to the fangame community back. Not much has changed since then, but you'll notice that our production cycles around here have been severely altered.

The Eyes!

Well hopefully I'll stick around, there seems to be plenty of developments these days... The trick will be getting past the initial "Oh Bugger I've Got Work To Do" bit of starting a new project :D

MAdventure... Hmm. I'd love to make a proper MAdventure with actual gameplay, but at heart it was supposed to be an RPG and, well, oof. There are 2 ideas floating in my head and I may just develop both of 'em as I go, both very non-traditional Sonic Fangame concepts,

As for production cycles? Well, granted when 5 new games were release each week it was a bit much, but it's good to see people taking time on their projects now. My one worry is that as the time goes on you learn more, and you decide to scratch what you've done and restart.. And longer development times run the risk of resulting in Canned Spam due to lack of interest.

I loved making the "Quick and Daft" games, and MAdventure 2 was just taking too long to get anywhere. I suppose making it "Episodic" would've fixed that :P

Just because you were busy making love to NFA-ε's don't mean you can just waltz back in here thinking everything is fine! You crushed our hearts ='(

Weba. I actually was just thinking of you last week when I dug up a bunch of NTDQMTH stuff that you did with Johny back in the day, along with Super RPG Adventure and Anime Wars... if you don't have copies I'll send them your way.

~EDIT~

Typos :E

http://cid-f1679c905e7f3c25.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public

I just uploaded them to my SkyDrive. There's a few things you did in there.

Guest Shadix

Holy crap this is incredible... It's been 5 years now...

Are you going to stick around? Some of the older users that haven't disappeared completely are gone from here\hang out in #srb2, and others usually pop in for a few posts every eon or so.

I definatly remember since I played just about all your Sonic fan games. I thought that Sonic Kaos was legendary even though your Thirdscape series was much better visually and technically. Sonic Kaos has some sort of style that was priceless also the gameplay was exellent, so thats why I think I loved it so much.

Oh. I know you. You're that god on earth that composed crystal caverns from time attacked. And the final boss theme is the most epic and grandiose song ever. I love you.

Good to have you back, hope you get into fangaming again. Ila, Slingerland and I are the new sheriffs in town. Or the only ones active anymore.