A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Random Doodlez Thread 2.0

Serephim

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks doods. As always with me, criticism is welcomed, helps you improve faster.

ixoraconcept1.png

Same character as above, main character of a game im working on. There was actually a scene to this picture, but i wasnt going to finish it anyway because it would have taken too long.

Lillian.png

I've been working on my shading and values and whatnot, as for a good 60% of my life, all my drawings have been mostly just lines. I actually looked up a tutorial for dealing with shading her hair. It helped, but then i ended up confusing myself (lol).

Im slowly starting to learn how you can use dark colors in conjunction with light colors to make something stand out.

lily2.png

Same person. Was trying perspective a bit here but wasn't quite paying attention, heh heh. I learned a bit while drawing it though.

unnamedtransformer.png

Another character from my game project. I was redesigning him, and just kind of drew off the top of my head. Hes supposed to be able to transform in to a kind of lizard beast.

I only really feel like drawing in the vampire hours of the night ( > 1:00AM, with the help of tons of 90's music and Stevie Wonder). Unfortunately, i lost my 0.5 pencil, so i probably wont be doing anything until i can find another one. For me it's so much easier to draw with both a 0.5 and 0.7 instead of just one or the other : O

I'd say with the guy his eyes are looking a bit too far apart imo, but I think you've definitely been improving. I too agree with using both a .5 and .7 really, I think having that variation in line thickness can really add some oomph to a picture. Pictures with linewidths that are all the same can get really boring, or there appears to be a lack of depth. So I think its cool you're using both!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Shit, Sereph! You're an incredible artist!

Eggggh...Thanks i guess lol. Im aight. But im glad people still peak in here! Its been pretty dead for a good minute now.

Soooooooooo...last post here was 8/2011 for me? here's a glimpse of the last 12 months of art for me i guess.

I noticed the links to some of my other artwork is broken, but thats okay because it's embarrassing anyway. But just for practice ive been redoing alot of those pictures to get clarity on my characters' faces. They're all characters for a game im working on now so they get alot of my attention. Alot has happened since last time i posted. I've since acquired an Intous 4 tablet, and have been desperately trying to learn to use color better. There's a character i posted earlier (really long-haired girl) that i have few digital drawings of, but this is the first picture i colored with my new Intuos.

It was originally a pencil drawing with like 4 images, so i just tried a different coloring style on each one. Coloring is quite foreign to me since i used pencil exclusively through school. The hair was especially annoying.

Liliancolors.png

...but this image was also a huge slap in the face when i noticed how much (or little) color can completely change the percieved shape of a face. Or anything. Where i can draw a face with lines and hatches in pencil, when you have to fill it with color, i realized just how little i know about facial detail.

This is the second color image i've drawn with this tablet, and technically the first "full" environment i've ever really tried to color.

IxoraForest.png

I think this picture is where i became exceedingly annoyed with outlines when trying to add value to a picture. And as a result, almost every picture i've colored afterwards has been an attempt to teach myself to draw without using my lineart as a crutch. I struggle alot with values and contrast, and thick lines dont really seem to help me move past that i think.

Afterwards i did this one:

Lora.png

I had scanned lineart for this one, but i forced myself to merge my color and line layers after i had the base of stuff down. Kinda derped on the background lol. alot i'd like to fix but i learned alot while doing it i guess

I've been watching some youtube videos and speed paintings to try and get more value and coloring techniques down. This is an image I made to fill the background of a website i was working on:

mascot.png

Here's something im doing right now:

This is the image of the main character of my game (Ixora) that i posted in this thread:

IxoraStylepose1.png

And yesterday i decided to start redoing the picture and this is what i have so far:Ixora.png

Basically redrawing everything as i go. I actually merged all the layers of this image, so im basically repainting it over it like an actual picture. It's fun practice.

More random stuff:

IxLiAz.png

The 3 main characters of the game. The one on the Left (Ixora) is the MC. Other two are sisters, rightmost being the eldest.

Light.png

27 year old captian of a dangerous army. Rumored to be invincible in combat in the story, so he's a serious boss. Im currently having a blast coming up with his attack patterns. Im thinking DMC3 Vergil 3 (serious mobility) mixed with a bit of Omega Zero from MMZ3. (serious aggression)

My Intous was about $350, but every penny was well spent. Before it broke i was using a Wacom Graphire 3.

It's most definitely sharper than my Graphire, but honestly you learn to use whatever you get. But my advice is if you're going to get one, you may as well get a good one so you wont waste more money later down the road when you want to go bigger. But im sure a regular Wacom would be good for most people. Most of the super features of this tablet i dont even use, but im sure ill find use perhaps when i get better.

My biggest advice though is size advice. 6x8 active area is ideal. I wouldnt bother with anything smaller than that and my friend has one thats bigger (intuos 4 large) and i find it extremely awkward to use. Before i told him he could just lower the active area, he was considering selling it to buy a medium like mine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sweet stuff doodz

K so a buddy made me join a stupid blog (http://365artworks.blogspot.com)where everyone draws a doodle and posts it on the website every day. I thought it'd be a good exercise in both drawing actually finishing pictures instead of putting them off.

So if all goes well, i should keep this thread bumped at the very least once every other day.

11-9-12.png