A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Blitz: The Thread [Some Words, 06-09-08]

Sockman

Taking a break from engine tweaking to focus on more conceptual stuff.

Basically, I'm redesigning the game to act more as a 2D open-world adventure (think Maple Story, but with a rocket strapped to the avatar's ass). Sonic will explore an open side-scrolling environment, trying to find his place in a world that has moved on without him. (I'll talk about the story concept at another time) Exploring these open environments, you will go on missions for the three main "factions" of the game. (another concept I will talk about some other time) These missions will take place in the open world area, or will take place in a more traditional, linear "Action Stage" type area.

MSpaint Concept Diagram:

gameprogression1oi5.jpg

EDIT: Just so you guys know, my next few posts will be discussing merely conceptual stuff. Basically I want to get all of my ideas established, discussed, and decided on before I dive into full-on development. Had I done that in the first place, I probably would've made much more progress by this point.

• 3 months later...

Good luck.

TFH was (and in a lot of ways, still is) designed to be an open-world game. I looked more to Super Metroid and Castlevania for my inspirations, however. My early attempts (years ago) felt really messy and I got frustrated and am currently trying something that may still keep the "open world" feeling while simplifying it for me.

kirby + the magical mirror did a similar thing, but the problem is it is alot easier to adapt the kirby formula of a series of small rooms, rather than sonic, which require relatively large levels to make them work. ive never been a big fan of the 'adventure field' thing, but it will be interesting to see what you come up with

Good luck.

TFH was (and in a lot of ways, still is) designed to be an open-world game. I looked more to Super Metroid and Castlevania for my inspirations, however. My early attempts (years ago) felt really messy and I got frustrated and am currently trying something that may still keep the "open world" feeling while simplifying it for me.

You should really look towards the Megaman ZX series. I never played Advent, but ZX did the open-world thing really, really, really well.

ITT: DW bumps old stuff

If you could make all the world's seamless, so that I can run around the world again and again, that'd be awesome.

That'd be an amazing feat for an MMF2 game. However, the way the the project is moving (barely) I probably will go for something less ambitious.

As of right now, Sonic Blitz in its current form progresses like the Genesis era Sonic games. IE: Act 1, Act 2, Boss, New Zone.

However, I've been messing around with alot of the special moves and have developed a sort of training system that will let you spend points on different abilities, and gives you the option of "speccing" Sonic in three different categories.

The first category is a melee spec where Sonic will learn hard hitting physical blows. (The homing attack, something I originally said I'd never implement into the game, is one for example.)

The second category is a general abilities spec where Sonic upgrades his top speed, acceleration, jump height, attack damage, etc.

The third ability is a caster spec where Sonic learns Chaos-based attacks such as many of the abilities that were seen in the early videos. (Sonic Wind, etc.) All Chaos-based abilities will use a Chaos Meter (AKA: A green mana bar) which will needed to be filled by collecting rings and killing enemies.

The levels will play out differently depending on how you level up Sonic. If you teach Sonic the melee Up+B move, he'll be unable to learn the Chaos Up+B move. You can, however, mix and match Chaos and melee moves. You also have the option of spending all of your upgrade points on general stats and playing the levels like an old-school Sonic game.

The major setback I'm encountering is coming up with and implementing different moves.

An open-ended sonic game would be interesting. You don't necessary have to have them be large in size. They can be fields that contain small puzzles or quests. Doing a quest could help sonic in some way(Maybe raise one of his stats or learn a new move. You can even go as far as to make the adventure plain open up new levels that branch off each other. Actually, just recently I decided to implement Hub worlds into my own.( But seeing as it is an RPG, sorta means it's mandatory.)

Megaman ZX is a good example, but it's still very limited on as far as where you can travel. Basically, the Hunter base is the only adventure field. I think having multiple adventure fields based on being region specific gives you a more adventurous feel.

Megaman ZX is a good example, but it's still very limited on as far as where you can travel. Basically, the Hunter base is the only adventure field. I think having multiple adventure fields based on being region specific gives you a more adventurous feel.

Uh, no, MMZX's "hunter base" only gave access to specific warp points. You could physically walk from any one level on the game to another without warping if you wanted.

MMZX's "levels" were displayed as Sectors on the map. There was no HUB in MMZX, it was about as free-roam as a 2D game can be.

You're thinking of Megaman Zero, lol.