A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

great sprite? or...

SkyLights

I wouldn't call it a sprite. Its simply too much to be called a sprite. Its more like a background layer. At the same time though, its practically useless because its so bloody large that the player will be completely incapable of realizing its symmetry and overall design while playing. To put it bluntly, I think it looks good as just an artwork, sure, but for the purpose of game design, it simply will not do.

Don't be under the impression that I'm going to take this and copy and paste it a million times in my game. :P I am not one for repetitive cut-and-paste Knuckles Chaotix level design, so if I do put it in my game as-is, it's only going to be once. As an actual part-of-a-level, I think it can work if I do a few things to it... but this topic shouldn't be about that. It's more about the actual art.

And yeah, I agree that it's not exactly a sprite in the sense that it's not a character that walks around and animates, but it's not like I made it in a completely different way :(

I THINK IT IS AT LEAST AGREEABLE THAT THIS ONE IS WAY BETTER THAN MY OLD ONE

Wow, that's impressive. Only gripe I have is that the right staircase and wall in between the slanted decor don't have the lighter shading like the decor does, whereas on the left, both the decor and staircase have the darker shading.

The palette is supposed to be under the conditions of a sunset as opposed to daytime in the first one.

But I strongly disagree that the old one is better. The newer one is way more attentively (and correctly) detailed, I can use it for something, and I can actually have fun with it. That, and I'm hoping that seeing as it's 3 times as large it won't be used for some of the lame stuff I keep seeing it used for... (deviantart submissions with two dozen fancharacters running around it without anything new depressed me)

Actually, I dont like the both of them for the simple fact that the perspective is weird to me. It seems very very flat no matter how much shading you add onto it. It lacks any 3D depth. You know in popup books or cardboard cutouts? That's what it looks like.

Edit:

I dont want it to seem like I'm writing your sprite off. It's a good one. You worked hard. There are just some things in in that makes it lack. Here's one example. In 3D perspective, usually as things get closer to you, they are bigger in comparison to things further away. Look at the staircase. Each step is as big as the last. Perspectively that seems incorrect. Same with the walls that come in and out [iE the pillars on each side of the structure. ] The parts that are brighter, meaning they are closer to you, dont seem closer at all because they're just as big as the ones darker/further away.

Actually, objects only tend to get darker as they approach you because your face will block the indirect illumination coming from the environment.

@Streak: I agree that it lacks perspective, but I think he really wanted an isometric projection.

Anyway, it's really pretty good. Congratulations for the Daily Deviation. Maybe you should try making a daytime version as well, using the first pyramid palette.

Light works as both particles and waves. As an object is further away, the particles are more dense, shrouding it in sort of a mist. I don't need a lesson on how light works and physics, I know all this stuff =/

As for the light and how it relates to how close it is to you, I wasn't explaining HOW to do it. It was more like relating the lack of perspective to where his light and dark areas were.