A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

OMG Sonic Time Twisted on TV

OverbounD

logo.gif

Alright so not really but this is still kinda cool http://gamepwned.tv/ did a video review that's kinda cool. I'll probably put it on my website sometime but for now there you go.

Also due to the poor reception of the my last demo that no body played I'm probably going to release one more before the game is complete. 2 full rounds City Edge and Perplex Puzzle. But that won't be for a while. Damizean (thanks) redid the tiles for City Edge for my they are way better but its a pain in the ass to change them over so its taking some time. I'll post some screens when I get closer to being done with that. But I mean its Damizean so you already know its gonna be sweet.

Anyway in case somebody wants to play the demo or review the demo now for some reason here it is Remember this is the Full City Edge and the New Act 1 of Perplex Puzzle:

Demo Download

Time Twisted Home Page

and here are screens which some of you may or may not have seen

stt_ce_boss.pngstt_z1_tree.png

stt_z2_snail.PNGstt_z2_spout.PNG

stt_z2_drop_snail.PNG

Oh, a .tv website. You had me exited there for a second. Still pretty cool, I guess.

I thought that the show itself was terrible, mostly due to the acting. It's really cool that you were one of the few to get a review, though. Props to you. I also just noticed that I was in your special thanks, so thanks for that.

Isn't this demo suposed to have one act of Perplex Puzzle, as it says in the download section of your page? Because I got stuck in the boss act of City Edge... After completing the boss the invisible wall kept there...

Looks great so far, I just have some points to complain about:

- The rolling physics are not ok, when I roll in a slope it decelerates too fast, it's not like in the classic games...

- The temporary invencibility when you loose rings/shields is very fast, sometime I get hurt again before I touch the floor... Also the semi-transparent thing is confusing (both sonic and the rings), I thing that blinking gives a better sense of invencibility (sonic) / fading out (rings)

- Good or Bad Future would be nice ;)

Other thank that, awesome stuff...

Wow...they're just now getting around to reviewing Mario Blue Twilight and Neo Sonic Universe?! Way behind there, guys. XD

Haha, I liked their review of NSU.

"It's not good, but it's not bad.... But it's not good. It's just... not Sonic?"

Which is pretty much exactly what I thought

• 4 weeks later...

Epic bump because I just remembered that I need to play this.

Zone 1:

-I don't remember if the last demo had this problem, but I think the acceleration should be a little lower. It's almost hard to control Sonic.

-Time travel is a cool feature and all, but it still seems like it serves no purpose. When will you make it relevant to the game?

-The invisible wall in the first boss is annoying because you can see past it. It makes it seem like there's no wall at all, and I tried going right and got stuck and got hurt. Make the camera stop scrolling at a certain point before the invisible wall or something. I like how metal sonic picks up robotnik by the way.

And now I'm starting on Perplex Puzzle Zone. I'm liking the vibes I'm getting from this level. Like I've told you, the music would better suit an outdoor beach level, but in this level it does sort of fit when you actually play it. I really like the gimmicks and moving blocks, you really keep the player busy, something that's important for level design. Two paths branched off in the beginning of the act, but they rejoined soon after and I didn't see any other paths. You can correct me if I'm wrong, I may not have seen them if they're there - there's no level select feature and I don't feel like playing through the first zone again to get explore more. Even if there aren't multiple paths, you made up for it by making the level design very interesting with a good number of gimmicks. The level doesn't become stale anywhere, every part seems original and is different from the rest.

A few other things:

-The slime trail the snail badnik leaves is awesome.

-If Sonic touches the water of the geyser while it's already shooting up, I think it should still carry him up. It's weird to see Sonic go through it. It's a unique gimmick though, I like the way you did the water bubble too.

-The warp object is awesome. The sprite is awesome, and its sound effect is even more awesome.

-I don't like the water slide gimmick. When the slope ends, Sonic's sprite shouldn't rotate as he slowly crawls along the 90 degree wall. Take a look at Labyrinth's slides and fix yours.

Good job, I enjoyed this very much. I may play it again later and have more to say. I wish I played this sooner.

Your mom jokes? Ag don't get me started. My life is a your mom joke. If you don't under stand that good its probably better that way. Anyway on the my thoughts

-I don't remember if the last demo had this problem, but I think the acceleration should be a little lower. It's almost hard to control Sonic.

k.

-Time travel is a cool feature and all, but it still seems like it serves no purpose. When will you make it relevant to the game?

Well I'm not having any Chaos Emeralds at this point. So to get a good ending to the game you will need to get all the robotizisors destroyed. That doesn't show too well in a demo though... Other then that. There are lots of differences between the past and the future and while that doesn't exactly make it relevant. It does make it fun :D.

-The invisible wall in the first boss is annoying because you can see past it. It makes it seem like there's no wall at all, and I tried going right and got stuck and got hurt. Make the camera stop scrolling at a certain point before the invisible wall or something. I like how metal sonic picks up robotnik by the way.

It will be fixed. I too love the way Metal Sonic picks up eggman. You know when your making a game and you get something working exactly how you like it and you just like yeah... that was better then sex? That was one of those moments for me.

And now I'm starting on Perplex Puzzle Zone. I'm liking the vibes I'm getting from this level. Like I've told you, the music would better suit an outdoor beach level, but in this level it does sort of fit when you actually play it. I really like the gimmicks and moving blocks, you really keep the player busy, something that's important for level design.

Perplex Puzzle I'm pretty proud of. Its pretty much exactly how I wanted to make a Sonic underwater level. I credit a lot of it to what I learned at SFGHQ . So thanks guys.

Two paths branched off in the beginning of the act, but they rejoined soon after and I didn't see any other paths. You can correct me if I'm wrong, I may not have seen them if they're there - there's no level select feature and I don't feel like playing through the first zone again to get explore more. Even if there aren't multiple paths, you made up for it by making the level design very interesting with a good number of gimmicks. The level doesn't become stale anywhere, every part seems original and is different from the rest.

As I said above this is my best work I think so far. The level design does get a bit more liner towards the end of the level. But there are different paths to take depending on if you are in the future or the past. Reason for this is that Originally the level was going to be longer. But when I realized it already took me over 2 minutes to beat it I decided to stop and work on the next act.

A few other things:

-The slime trail the snail badnik leaves is awesome.

Funny story about that. I asked my girl friend who knows nothing about video games or Sonic, how a robot snail might attack you she said slime. So that's what came to be.

-If Sonic touches the water of the geyser while it's already shooting up, I think it should still carry him up. It's weird to see Sonic go through it. It's a unique gimmick though, I like the way you did the water bubble too.

Good point I'll have to change that. By bubble water you mean the plant?

-The warp object is awesome. The sprite is awesome, and its sound effect is even more awesome.

Yes another one of those better then sex moments.

-I don't like the water slide gimmick. When the slope ends, Sonic's sprite shouldn't rotate as he slowly crawls along the 90 degree wall. Take a look at Labyrinth's slides and fix yours.

K.

Good job, I enjoyed this very much. I may play it again later and have more to say. I wish I played this sooner.

Glad you liked it despite the bubble pattern and bad music XD. Right now I'm converting City Edge over to Damizean's new tiles which is a huge pain but totally worth since they are way better then the previous ones.

The first level was a little boring in my opinion (Specially at the first act), but the second level is pretty good. I liked most of the gimmicks and concepts you used, and the graphics are also quite better than the first level's. However, it's on urgent need of underwater distortion.

Also, the missiles on the first boss could do a smooth curve or something... It feels too unnatural.

I haven't finished it yet, so I'll post more criticism later.

BTW, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but on the "Sonic Got Trough" screen, it's written "TOTOL" instead of "TOTAL"

Edit: About the jump sprite, he probably forgot to change it.

Sonic got a long, narrow, generally shallow receptacle for holding water or feed for animals?

XD Just because every post about spelling mistakes needs to have such a mistake on it.

Anyway, @Rael: The word "Total" is an English-Portuguese cognate. In fact, it's written exactly the same in both languages. That's probably why I noticed it.