A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What are you listening to?

hRook

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with this post is that you are listening to Foo Fighters.

Oh, shit. Oh no, you didn't.

Well, that just might be me not liking bands that no one has ever heard of because they sound like moaning dog shit.

Or maybe because I like a more instrumental sound with vocals to add more flavor, instead of listening to some guys thrash the same three chords over and over while recite shitty poetry that they think is deep in a weird high-pitched accent.

Oh, shit. Oh no, you didn't.

Well, that just might be me not liking bands that no one has ever heard of because they sound like moaning dog shit.

Or maybe because I like a more instrumental sound with vocals to add more flavor, instead of listening to some guys thrash the same three chords over and over while recite shitty poetry that they think is deep in a weird high-pitched accent.

Listen to Coheed before you try and trash them. They're a prog rock band bro. Their music is a lot more instrumental than the Foo Fighters are and they use a lot of really neat musical things like secondary functions, modulations, polyrhythms, syncopated phrasing, and so on. Foo Fighters are grunge/post-grunge/alternative/whatever. Not saying they're a bad band, but they're just a lot different than Coheed... and definitely far less musically intricate. Also, Coheed's lyrics aren't poetry; they're to be interpreted more like a narrative of a sci-fi movie.

The most ironic thing about this argument is that Foo Fighters' own Taylor Hawkins recorded drums for the upcoming Coheed album due to Chris Pennie's yet-to-expire contract with the Dillinger Escape Plan.

Rush, Dream Theater' Systematic Chaos album (Which is really good, it's like a more industrial, darker sound to Dream Theater without sacrificing any of the progressive amazingness. I really like how the vocals don't make you cringe on this album.), and Pat Metheny Group have been the bulk of my playlist lately.

I heard E.L.O. the other day and plan to attain some soon, as they sound amazing.

The world needs more grunge music though... I've already pretty much eaten my way through the 5 major grunge acts of the time, prefering the sound STP and Pearl Jam had over Nirvana (Ehh...) or Sound Garden. Alice In Chains was almost to far in it's own territory to be comparable, although they remain my favorite act.

I get the vibe that you're a pretentious music dick.

It doesn't matter what he says, he was listening to the Foo Fighters. We won.

But seriously, you aren't any better than us for not liking Coheed, and liking another band. You are entitled to your opinion, but when you are attempting to validate your points with things like, "his balls haven't dropped yet," you're really losing any chance you had at winning in a somewhat intellectual argument. Have you even heard Claudio speak? His voice is not high pitched like his singing style, at all. And while I admit maybe his vocals aren't for everyone, but there's no need to trash it when no one has even said anything about your music previous to your statement.

Coheed and Cambria is a very innovative band, as Hunter said, their lyrics are more like a sci-fi story, because they are based around a graphic novel Claudio is writing, which you and many other people here would probably enjoy. I highly recommend checking it out.

It doesn't matter what he says, he was listening to the Foo Fighters. We won.

But seriously, you aren't any better than us for not liking Coheed, and liking another band. You are entitled to your opinion, but when you are attempting to validate your points with things like, "his balls haven't dropped yet," you're really losing any chance you had at winning in a somewhat intellectual argument. Have you even heard Claudio speak? His voice is not high pitched like his singing style, at all. And while I admit maybe his vocals aren't for everyone, but there's no need to trash it when no one has even said anything about your music previous to your statement.

Coheed and Cambria is a very innovative band, as Hunter said, their lyrics are more like a sci-fi story, because they are based around a graphic novel Claudio is writing, which you and many other people here would probably enjoy. I highly recommend checking it out.

Dan, given my track record of music discussion with you, you have ZERO room to talk. Not to say you don't make some excellent points (you do), but it would have a lot more merit coming from Hunter or someone else. Holy shit, rofl. :smidge:

Anyway,

Smashing Pumpkins - Thru the Eyes of Ruby

Dan, given my track record of music discussion with you, you have ZERO room to talk. Not to say you don't make some excellent points (you do), but it would have a lot more merit coming from Hunter or someone else. Holy shit, rofl. :smidge:

Anyway,

Smashing Pumpkins - Thru the Eyes of Ruby

Keep in mind the last time I discussed music with you, or anyone on here besides Hunter really, I was about 16, and very babyish. But you do make a point, BUT IT'S NOT FAIR 'CAUSE YOU KNOW ME TOO WELL.

ps; I miss you baby.

Keep in mind the last time I discussed music with you, or anyone on here besides Hunter really, I was about 16, and very babyish. But you do make a point, BUT IT'S NOT FAIR 'CAUSE YOU KNOW ME TOO WELL.

ps; I miss you baby.

me2

But alas, drugs, sex, and rock 'n' roll have taken up my life...

Also school.