A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Nexus [BETA DEMO]

Slingerland

Do you know about the teleporters? They stick out of the ground a little. Press up and away you go.

The only bug I remember is when I died and then got air bubbles after.

I think Azu made those teleporter gimmicks, so I'm confused as well.

So, here are the level maps of these bad boys. They are huge, so I thought I'd just show them in one screen:

PPZ Act 1:

PPZ1Map.gif

PPZ Act 2:

PPZ2Map.gif

WHOA.

story.bill.ted.ap.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros

+This game actually has level design a feature a lot of games "Forget". I hate water levels like everyone else but I can appreciate the effort that went into this.

+Lots of Gimmicks to be had here.

+Everything is fairly smooth even if there is a awkward engine bug or two.

Cons

-That wavy thing maybe its just me but that's in Sonic CD if I remember right. But its not quite as severe a wave if I recall right. I think you over did it a little.

-That starfish is damned annoying.

-Maybe this is just me because I tend to feel this way through a lot of fan games. However I'm not too big on the design of the badniks. I usually don't like fusion badniks and thats the case here too. They always seem too big.

-The crank and the teleport were a little hard to figure out and didn't seem very sonicy to me. Doors in Sonic have always been opened with buttons you can't just change that its MADNESS! Also I like the teleports in Sonic and Knuckles better. Whatever that Zone is that only has the one act. I think they should work like those ones do.

All that being said. It takes a gig of ram. There are bugs. But its the best damn thing shown at Sage so far.

Great job. I couldn't enjoy it at full because i played it on a 900 mhz at 20fps XD but it was quite nice. I didn't like the part where th background changes. It breaks the flow of the game. And much less the part where you had to hang on platforms. I couldnt pass through there.

BTW, if you are hurted when you are hanged on a platform, you stay in the same y position moving left and right.

The thing I was annoyed about though was the way the yellow pod thing dropped down. Maybe I'm stupid or something, but the first thing I did when I saw that flashing thing appear was get Sonic to try to do something with it. All too late I realized that the pod was coming down and it would crush me if I stood underneath. :P

XD

That was the best gimmick in any sonic game ever.

It almost got me, but DAMN its great if it actully owned someone

Lol DW your bosses are fucking awesome. By the end of the second part of the fight i was on my toes expecting some kind of Sonic Adventure styled last-ditch effort to destroy my plane.

I played this again to try and beat the boss and see the ending of the third act, but I couldn't even get there. The culprit? BUBBLES.

It seems like whenever I don't need any, they would shoot out 5-10 breathable bubbles in a row, but whenever I wanted some, I would stand there forever and none would come out. I counted the last time before I quit, and I was there 15 seconds until I drowned and not a single breathable one came out. Are there functioning and non-functioning ones? If so, why?

Overbound: -Maybe this is just me because I tend to feel this way through a lot of fan games. However I'm not too big on the design of the badniks. I usually don't like fusion badniks and thats the case here too. They always seem too big.

No one else had a problem with MY badnik design. So yeah, it's just you, and I don't see what's the problem with fusion badniks. Too big? Wtf?

Would you rather see the same old rehashed badniks?

Jesus, why the hell are some people so damn picky?

My only complaint are those damn kamikaze starfish. Twice in a row, in act 2, I got killed by them because they hit me while I was trying to grab an air bubble or grab onto a hanging pole, I got stuck in midair, and they came back around and screwed me. The only reason I was even able to keep retrying was because the hanging pole dropped me low enough to the death boundary - if it hadn't, I would have been stuck there the whole time without ever dying.

Other than that, the game was cool, the presentation was cool. Give us more.

Well, I slept in like a motha fucka to make up for the lack of sleep throughout this week. I'm going to finish work on Saturday Night's Main Event and then get on with an optimized Nexus with some (that means NOT ALL) bug fixes and problems.

List of planned updates:

• Air bubbles spawn more frequently
  • Use of badniks need to be turned down
  • Foreground layering issues
  • Act 2 in general
  • Checkpoints
  • Making the Oil Ocean platforms shoot up more often.

Look for that around Saturday/Sunday.

EDIT: I guess I should explain the second world in this zone. A "Palisade" is "any of a number of pales or stakes pointed at the top and set firmly in the ground in a close row with others to form a defense." I hid the teleporters around the level, so you had to do something cool to get to them. The teleporters were the defense to get this underwater utopia. Sure, you can call it Atlantis.

The dual world part of this zone is probably my favorite aspect of PPZ.

EDIT 2:

Because people set their standards too high for me and anything I release. Truth.

Lol DW your bosses are fucking awesome. By the end of the second part of the fight i was on my toes expecting some kind of Sonic Adventure styled last-ditch effort to destroy my plane.

*notes*

Anyway, I'll have the glitches everyone is complaining about fixed before long... and I'll even consider making the starfish a little easier. I do love my starfish though. I wanted it to be annoying much like the ones in Metropolis Zone, but not in the same way.

Meh... I liked the difficulty of the starfish... I mean, when was the last time you actually were 'afraid' or got hit by an enemy in a Sonic game that wasn't out of crappy control/camera (Secret rings being an exception?)

If anything, it's the placement of the starfish more than the difficulty of them... Especially near those O shaped platform circles...

My suggestion?

Instead of gimping the starfish, i would suggest giving Sonic some kind of Insta-Sheild like he had on Sonic 3/S&K/S3&k.

Some badnicks you make can have a sort of aftereffect if you use it on them. For instance, Insta-Sheilding the starfish instead of killing it would repel it away or change its direction so you avoid getting hit. Instead if it destroying it completely (making it wayyy too easy then), if your quick and notice it coming you can avoid losing your rings.

Nice game at all, I simply love the music, the level design (of act 1), the graphics and the water effect. I can see that much effort was applyed here.

The bad part is that I couldn't clear act 2... On the pipe part, in one of the turns it shoots sonic to the right until I drown. I've tryed twice, and both times that happened, then I gave up.

Well, the rest people have already said, with those bug fixed this game will rock!

Ah and I like your idea Slingerland, of not putting a tropical zone in the demo. It makes it look more unique on Sage.

F6 skips act 2 since its incomplete.

If you'd like to get straight to the boss fights, try the boss-only version available here:

http://darkdjinn.brpxqzme.net/Nexus

right click, save as.

Honestly, I didn't really want to use the distortion effect because its just too... dizzying. Sure does make those wind tunnel segments more interesting though.

Oh, as an added bonus, you can play the bosses usually without needing an overly powerful computer mostly because it doesn't contain an enormous amount of objects like rings and crap.

No one else had a problem with MY badnik design. So yeah, it's just you, and I don't see what's the problem with fusion badniks. Too big? Wtf?

Would you rather see the same old rehashed badniks?

Actually, the truth is that I didn't really think the fusions looked that great either. i just didn't want to have to pull out my massive flame shield again.

Because people set their standards too high for me and anything I release. Truth.

Because you mods make it out to be the semi-main game of SFGHQ. Of course people are going to expect alot from it.

I seriously dont see what all the fuss is about the things you people are fussing about.

Its a FANGAME. These people have LIVES. Everything will not have 40 frames of animation, you will not like the look of every badnick ever created...What the hell are you people bitching about? I can see bitching about the bugs, but the badnick designs? Graphics? Mad because he got the lighting effect from the Mystical Forest Zone? (I actully noticed that immediately because i frequent there for my game effects)

They arent getting paid for this, why are you people expecting Sonic Adventure 2 out of it? Its not like any fangame currently shown can stand up to this anyway.

Edit:

Wow is this how i sound when i go on bitch sprees

F6 skips act 2 since its incomplete.

Honestly, I didn't really want to use the distortion effect because its just too... dizzying. Sure does make those wind tunnel segments more interesting though.

I don't know how MMF 2 works since I don't deal with MMF for a long time, but isn't it possible to make the distortion only affect the background? I mean the paralax one, like in tidal tempest of the final version of sonic cd. This way, it will not fell so dizzy, but will keep a nice water effect.