A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Tikal & Chaos

GooglePages: http://skylights1.googlepages.com/TnCdemo1-1.zip

Rapidshare : http://rapidshare.com/files/31104412/TnCdemo1-1.zip.htmll

For people that experience severe lag underwater with the current demo, replace the .exe in your game folder with this one:

http://skylights1.googlepages.com/TnCdemo1-1-DOff-.zip

Controls: Arrow keys, spacebar.

I added one little tweak in terms of control: Up - Action. Try it out on both characters and see what happens :o

Note: Before you play as Tikal, in order to do wall jumps, you must be in the air and have an arrow key pressed towards the wall you wish to jump off of, then press the action button (spacebar). I'll make a more fluent explanation tommorrow.

Have fun X)

My biggest complaint is that my computer is a piece of crap and only plays your game at 40 frames per second on land and 20 in the water X_X

Frankly though, it was cool. The game's level design might not be quite on par with some of the stuff Frenzy has been showing me, but it is leaps and bounds above the common fangame. I also love how Chaos controls. I do have a few complaints though...

1. Tikal's super peel out is trash and takes too long to rev.

2. The boss is ridiculously easy, even for a first boss. He is only made easier by Chaos' hands of ghetto rape.

I actually do like how Chaos can just completely cheat his way over spikes by using them as a platform to jump off of with his godly hands. You might want to limit them though. Really. I mean... I can understand swimming with them in the water, but as it was, I could just traverse the land by bouncing on the heads of my enemies, the land, spikes, and every other possible obstacle. It was amusing, but it takes all the challenge out of it. You need to find some way to make his second jump not complete rape of everything he sees.

New developments: Add rings to the list of things you can bounce on. You basically never have to descend... EVER!

and no enemy can possibly stand the wrath of having its head groped. Chaos's handjobs are of the most vicious of lethal varieties.

Anyway, this one has potential. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Feel free to ask me if you need help with anything.

GOD, finally an exceptional game!

The level design is amazing. Im so glad to play a 360 game without constant whoring of loops at every single turn.

You actully have branching and SEPERATE paths that are fun to explore. And i actully found Tikal's Peel-out pretty cool.

But the only problem i have with this game would be the framerate. i dont know if its this computer or not (im on my old one), but i noticed a huge leap in speed when i got to act 3 as opposed to the other ones. The gameplay is already a bit slower, but if you somehow could make it run faster it would make the experience even better.

Greatly looking foward to seeing you expand on this game.

Okay, lets see if this works.

The initial complaint in general was that there was too much slowdown, so I have readied a revised version which hopefully won't run slowly for people and won't cause error messages for people.

GooglePages: http://skylights1.googlepages.com/TnCdemo1-1.zip

Rapidshare : http://rapidshare.com/files/31104412/TnCdemo1-1.zip.html

If you've already downloaded it and don't want to download the entire thing again, download this instead and paste the .exe into the folder, replacing the .exe that you unzipped the initial game to.

http://skylights1.googlepages.com/TnCdemo1-1EXE.zip

SkyLights, that's one brilliant piece of work. One of the best uses of the engine. My only complaint may be graphically wise, colors get somewhat confused as everything seems to have similar palettes (foreground, background and sprites). Other than that, gameplay, level design and perfomance are brilliant. I may suggest you give the option to enable the water distortion at will, though.

I agree about the water distortion. It seems to be causing some problems for a couple people for some reason right now, so I'll definitely have some options in a future build to control graphical effects in general.

For the people that are experiencing super-lag when underwater though, I have this temporary solution. Download this and replace the .exe in the game folder if you experience truly significant lag when entering water. I apologize for all these download links, I guess I'm off to a rough start when it comes to getting this thing around >_>;

http://skylights1.googlepages.com/TnCdemo1-1-DOff-.zip

Dami, is that picture in your sig edited?

Its eyes are superbly disturbing.

</offtopic>

<ontopic>

But seriously Skylight, this game's level design borderline's Offical. Its just awesome.

Your game makes perfect application of this engine. I never got bored playing.

Only bugs ive seen :

-When Tikal is using her peelout, if she hits the top of a loop too quick she stops. However, this doesnt happen when shes rolling, so...

You did an awesome job with this, the backgrounds are beautiful and the game just screams originality.

The only thing I don't like is the water blur, it hurts my eyes alittle, and sometimes, the players don't complete the loop in some cases, dunno why.

Other than that, fantastic game.

The game is alright. However, a few problems were:

1. The sprites for Tikal and Chaos are extremely stiff, the walking animations are aweful. They pretty much just stand still and suffle their feet.

2. There is a real problem with loops. Almost every time I hit the top of one, I keep going along the cieling, ignoring the loop.

3. Chaos is too slow. I know it was to add some character variety, but he can't even get up a slope without spinballing, even if he is at top speed.

4. The boss is extremely repetitive.

Don't get me wrong just because I only listed complaints. I'm also looking forward to this game. The level design was very professional. Even though the level sprites were just some off of the Mystical Forest Zone, you managed to use them very well, most people can't do that with custom-made tiles.

I give it a B+.

EDIT: I forgot to say that acceleration and deacceleration are very unresponsive. That makes changing directions a bitch.

2. There is a real problem with loops. Almost every time I hit the top of one, I keep going along the cieling, ignoring the loop.

3. Chaos is too slow. I know it was to add some character variety, but he can't even get up a slope without spinballing, even if he is at top speed.

4. The boss is extremely repetitive.

2 - This particular loop wouldn't happen to be the first one you come across with Tikal, would it? I am also aware of another problem where Tikal will go airborne at the pinnacle of a loop, and I'll be fixing both issues later on.

3 - Chaos's build allows him to pass through areas without going fast yanno. :[ Sure there's like 3 loops he HAS to go through, but it's quite possible to spindash through 'em...

4 - I agree. >_>

Even though the level sprites were just some off of the Mystical Forest Zone...

You realize I put them there in the first place right :[

EDIT: I forgot to say that acceleration and deacceleration are very unresponsive. That makes changing directions a bitch.

...dare I ask what your FPS was

• 5 weeks later...

I am ready to show another stage in my game, for now in screenshot form. Tiara Cascades.

Seeing as Tikal wants to get her father to stop being an idiot and Chaos wants to beat the crap out of Tikal's father for kidnapping his Chao buddies, their quest will lead them to this zone, the natural wall of the Echidna tribe. Its easy to lose your footing on the slippery rocks that guide your way up the cliffside, and you can easily plummit to your doom if you fall and collide with the pointed spires at the bottom. Lets take a look at some of the general points of interest of the zone!

0013.png

Near the bottom, your vision grows impaired by the thick mist that the waterfall gives off when it hits the landscape. Other tribal echidnas will try to take advantage of the situation and hit you for damage, so make sure you are as alert to your surroundings as possible!

Since not all echidnas are able to scale the cliffside on their own, the engineers of the tribe invented a device enabling any echidna to travel sky-high. Just hop on and run, and it will take you as high as you need.

0014.png

What, you didn't think only the male echidnas would fight you, did you? The female variant can greatly assist the male with her bow by aiming at Tikal or Chaos and firing, regardless of if they're in the air or not. They don't really like close encounters though, and will attempt to stay away from the opposing character.

0012.png

Chaos is at a bit of a loss in this stage. He's too slow to use the flying machines, so they won't appear for him. Sure, he can utilize the platform pictured in the screenshot, but that will only lead him down. He can travel through water, but the water is currently going down and he needs to go up. Maybe he can change that though X)

I've also gotten through a good ways of another stage, but I'm going to hold showing that until it's fully completed.

Graphics are beautiful. Like I've said before, some of the foreground has really tiny detailed objects that are repeated and it's really hard on the eyes. Make tiling objects bigger. Some parts of your graphics are beautiful but others burn my retinas.

Played the demo a while ago but I guess I never posted. It's really original, and the level design is decent. This is one of the better fangames.