A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

NiGHTS on the Wii? Here we go again

Pheonix Gamma

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay for two more control scheme ideas!

1) Nunchuck control: Sort of defying the point of putting the game on the Wii, but whatever. The analog stick moves NiGHTS, and the A/B buttons make him dash. Hitting Left or Right on the D pad changes the camera (as the kids). By performing certain gestures (sounds like jesters) with the remote/nunchuck, NiGHTS will pull of different stunts and tricks. Yay...

2) Wand Control: Probalby the best idea. Remember when Miyamoto showed off the Wii Controller at E3 by using it to conduct an orchestra? Sort of like that. You hold the controller like you would be using the pointer, but the pointer is not actually used. Instead, tiliting the front of the controller in a direction moves NiGHTS. The A/B button is used for dashing, and by holding a direction on the D-Pad and performing a gesture, NiGHTS will pull off some wacky stunt, getting you points or something.

This is one of those games I'm going to blindly buy. I usually wait for a game review before buying, but I'v been waiting for this for years. I love NiGHTS. :D

I played this one airplane combat game on Shackwave way back in the day, and it was cool how the controls would work for the sideways controller method. I never played NiGHTS cause the emulator is friggen' lame, but here's how it works in the dark bowels of my brain:

holding the controller sideways, the way you tilt it affects the way NiGHTS tilts. Imagine his outstretched arms following the remote. So you tilt slowly to the left, he follows, doing a wide turn. Tilt more, he turns sharper. Now tilt the controller towards to, as if to pull up, and NiGHTS does an even SHARPER turn. I'd have to show it in motion or something to describe it, but it would ultimately allow what the basic concept requires:

easy controls

movement that is as fast or slow as the player's action, granting total control

use of the motion sensing in a manner that makes sense and works well.

I'll doodle some mockup sketches in Ethics class today and scan then when I get back to show you what I mean.

From Here

- A brand new NiGHTS for the Nintendo Wii

- The fan-favourite game that introduced the innovative sensation of flying on the SEGA Saturn comes to the Wii in a brand-new adventure. Take advantage of the unique controller to enjoy a whole new experience of flying.

- 'Persona' masks open new possibilities

Three sets of masks give the player new shape-shifting abilities and more ways to explore the world.

• Dragon mask: Transforms NiGHTS into a huge dragon and makes him resistant to wind effects.

• Dolphin mask: NiGHTS can change into a dolphin and explore under water.

• Rocket mask: NiGHTS takes the shape of a rocket and travels at supersonic speeds.

- Seven fantastical dream worlds to explore

The seven unique environments of Nightopia introduce an extraordinary, magical world unlike any other.

- Wii connect 24

Exchange items with friends via the network and change the scenery according to real-world seasons using the Forecast Channel.

Real-world season effecting the game? thats a nice idea, although it might take a while to get the "snow" scenery XD

The seasonal thing is from Christmas Nights, it had loads of date activated events. On april fools day you play the christmas stage retextured to the normal sunny spring vally rather than it's winter variant AND play as Reala, NiGHTS evil alter ego persay.

On christmas eve you can see santa#s sleigh and reindeer flying in the bg, on new years the title screen changes to wish you happy new years etc.

Stuff like that, Hope they can be as inventive this time around.

The masks sound fun, their really just an extention of stuff already in the first NiGHTS though, such as him changing to a more mermaidy shape when in water in splash garden or turning briefly into a sleigh in elliot's snow stage (frozen bell?)

woo

It wasn't a 3D controller, it was just a bloated analog controller. Although NiGHTs can be a very 3D game, the gameplay was very 2 dimensional.

I know, thats why I snickered at it. They called it a 3D controller when there was nothing more 3 dimensional about it than anything else at the time.