A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

About damn time! Nintendo Partners with Gamespy for online multiplayer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad it uses the DS instead of the remote, and you can say "shit", fartmonger.

And yea, they joined together for the DS awhile back, not that we've seen too many third party games that use that >_>

Unrelated note: Phantom Hourglass will have online multiplayer, but the multiplayer shown thus far is a Pacman ripoff, so it's not all that exciting.

Too bad it uses the DS instead of the remote.

Nice.

and you can say "shit", fartmonger.

No shit?

(Yeah, I knew that Phoenix, I just do that for the hell of it.)

Unrelated note: Phantom Hourglass will have online multiplayer, but the multiplayer shown thus far is a Pacman ripoff, so it's not all that exciting.

I'm looking forward to that game, but online multiplayer? Curiosity and bleh both come to mind.

Oh, and a good FPS would be good too.

You didn't like Metroid Prime Hunters? I played that with a lot of people, and aside from voice chat scaring the shit out of me, it was fun as hell. Still is.

No shit?

(Yeah, I knew that Phoenix, I just do that for the hell of it.)

ff12_ondore.jpg

DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES! I'm Captain Basch Von Ronsemberg of Dalmasca!

Something in my heart tells me their going to screw over this pokemon game too.

I really wish they would pick a battle system that runs in Real-Time instead of the old Pokemon Stadium type.

If they did it right it would look more like a pokemon battle rather than a Yugioh match without magic cards.

I can't see Pokemon battles being handled by anything less than turn based. It just would not work.

Phoenix, you're only half right. The Wii remote is used unless you're transmitting your Diamond/Pearl team to the game. DS is not required to play Battle Revolution... though there really isn't much point to doing so without your teams from the DS games. I'm pretty sure your team can also be saved in the game data so that you don't have to use your DS.

Something in my heart tells me their going to screw over this pokemon game too.

I really wish they would pick a battle system that runs in Real-Time instead of the old Pokemon Stadium type.

If they did it right it would look more like a pokemon battle rather than a Yugioh match without magic cards.

Consider the fact that you are the trainer. The trainer gives commands to the Pokemon, the Pokemon carry out those commands. Making it real time would mena either you have direct control of the Pokemon (which defeats the purpose of the concept) or the Pokemon would fight in real time, and you gave commands. The problem is with that is what the pokemon would do inbetween commands.

Hey Pikachu, use thunderbolt. Crap it's unaffective; gotta give another menu command. ::Pikachu continues Thunderbolt, which is useless, while the player plans his next move:: Uh oh, a Water Pokemon! Use thundebolt! Oh no! He ran out of thunderbolt because I tried to use strategy!

Turn-based just works for the series, and I'm sure they've tried other engine already.

Battle Revolution isn't worth it. Diamond and Pearl are already capable of online play. All BR offers is that same experience in 3D with your own customizable avatar. It doesn't even have many of the single player modes that made the previous installments worth trying to begin with. *thumbs down*

You've played them both? >.>

I'm actually considering Diamond and Pearl. I HATE every Pokemon post-Gold and Silver, but I feel like I want to get back into the loop. Supposedly you can take your GBA Pokemon into it, in which case, I'll buy FireRed and use the Rare Candy glitch, bring my oldschool pokemon to Diamond, and just maul everyone to death.

Lord knows I used it in Red and Blue version, by using that duplicating method.

Also, water pokemon are perfect for begginers and to keep training further ahead in the game.

Note that I no longer play pokemon, and I'm speaking from experience from......age 13 to age 16, maybe?

While I'm not sure you can have a full-on real time engine working, at least in the traditional sense, you can come pretty close. For instance, you could have your character do four moves just like normal. You choose one, then attack. Now, in the show there's this system of counter-attacks and reactions that the game's are completely missing. Perhaps you can have a counter that allows you to dodge and counter attack as long as it's not empty. So when the computer attacks, you just jerk the wiimote to the side you want the pokemon to dodge to. Then, it's once again turnbased- perhaps the on-screen action stops for a second?- and you choose a counter attack. Or perhaps you just have to pick an attack from your set of four. It'd be simple and yet a lot more fun and involving than what we currently have going on.

In KH, your practically non-stop hacking and slashing and yet you can run through commands such as healing and all that jazz. Take out the hacking/slashing and have it attached to the pokemon with simple button presses. Simple gestures can be used for dodging, throwing a pokeball, etc. As far as potions and the like, you can always just have a pause that, as we currently do. Or, they could always just make it so that your pokemon has some sort of AI where they at least attempt to fend for themselves (simple things such as dodging) for the 5 or so seconds it'll take for you to get out your potion/pokeball.

DW: That's why I duplicated all the stat boosting items, too. I kept boosting everything until it couldn't be used any more. I caught them all, and I maxed them all out :3

Scatta: true, but then you ARE the Pokemon. I think the concept of catching, training, and fighting them would require some sort of separation between the player (trainer) and the Pokemon.