A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Domineering mother much?

Aerosol

I want to go to Full Sail. My mom, in all her stubborness, won't even look at the place, saying that since its not a "traditional" college, it's crap and not worth it. As far as I know, she pulls my economic strings so, where she wants me to go, I go. But is it really like that? I'm sure there's a way I can simply go where the heck i want right? She's suggesting I go to a community college for two years and transfer into a state university, which would be worse..wouldnt it? I'm asking you guys cause my guidance counsellor is a goddam airhead. Thanks for any info mah brothers.

How is your guidence counsellor an airhead?

Most people go to a community college because they don't know what they want to do for a career, then transfer. It's better than wasting a year doing nothing.

If you and your mother can't agree yet, then go to a community college and try to work it out.

Going to a community college and transfering to a university is the best thing you can do, it saves money and you still get the same diploma, etc.

Stop whining and be glad your mom is paying for your College because you arent going to be treated as a teenager by your parents for much longer. I know plenty of people whose parents wont pay for them to go to college. Take what you can get and if you want it another way then go get a student loan and leave your mother alone.

Yea, my parents also pay for me to go to a state college.

Basically, I was all for going to Full Sail. I took C++ and everything in high school, but realized I was more of a creative thinker, even though I was pretty good at programming. So I focused on art.

At that point, I was all for the New England Institute of Art. Somehow, I got it confused with the Art Institute of Boston, and applied there instead. I agreed to have Umass Lowell as my backup school, since it offered Art and Computer Science, incase I wanted to switch back. Then I applied to Worchester Polytech. So I had 1 college for art, one for game programming (they have a course on it at WPI) and one that could offer both.

I got into all 3, but I chose UML because:

It was cheaper

It was close to home, but far enough so that it would actually make sense to live there

Wide variety of courses, incase I wanted to change my major

It's actually a really good school.

Really though, if your mother is paying for you to learn to be good at your future career, she deserves to have some say in the matter. I'm assuming you want to learn game design, and many other colleges and universities offer similar courses.

Plus, they come off and really desperate...they're still sending me crap, even after I said I already attend another college.

Ehhhhh Full Sail is kinda sketchy, to be honest. I go to school at Florida Tech, and we kinda do business with them in the sense that their bus will come here each year and recruit kids. Kinda lame.

I mean, if you WANT to do that kind of stuff, go ahead, by all means. But I warn you, just because you like to play videogames and like to go on the internet and browse forums will not make you a good videogame programmer, designer, etc. Be prepared for rigorous training in software engineering (feasibility studies, requirements documents, lifecycle models -- all kinds of goodies that bore people), programming with advanced algorithms and data structures, and other hard crap.

I'm a Computer Science major with zero experience in programming in high school. I'm maintaining a little lower than a 3.0 GPA right now, with my problem courses actually being programming (all Java crap). I'm tearing up my C++ class right now though, I expect an A in it. If you don't have experience in programming, be surprised for a rude wakeup call. It'll click eventually...

And your mother is right, Full Sail is NOT a traditional college, they even advertise that! You have to realize that one day you might not be Grandma's Boy (35 year old game tester) and need to fallback on your degree in another working environment. When you realize you don't have the experience from the generic courses that a "traditional college" shoves down your throat, you might kick yourself in the ass.

But do what your heart contents. You'll graduate in like 24 months or something like that and be in the beautiful south! :D

Yea, you really need an actual degree, since you need to claw your way INTO the gaming industry, and if you for whatever reason can't get in, you can get a temporary job, then try again later.

See, my ideas and ambitions are...well, ambitious. Getting a degree in graphic design and taking a wide array of courses, I can take on many other jobs, so I can eat and stuff. Basically, you want a degree that lets you get your dream job, but still be able to get those other jobs inbetween so you won't bum off of your parents.

Not to discourage you by any means. I think if you want to learn game design, you should look at more credible schools. Like I mentioned, WPI offers Game Design, as well as standard Computer Science. Had I attended, I would have graduated and have experience in the field I wanted to be in, but still have skills for those odd jobs I'd be stuck at.

Just look at more credible schools ;)

I wasn't even considering full sail for it's gaming courses...and that's not the point. I just want to know if I, or even people in general HAVE to go to the colleges their parents picked for them.

Yeah dude. My dad absolutely refused to pay for my college since it was not in state. So, I haven't talked to him for almost two years. Dick.

I actually just started Army ROTC. That should take care of the next two years, and I can use my stipend while I'm in college and Iran (oh dear me) to pay for my two years of loans.

I wasn't even considering full sail for it's gaming courses...and that's not the point. I just want to know if I, or even people in general HAVE to go to the colleges their parents picked for them.

Well, I told my parents all the colleges I wanted to go to, and only 2 got rejected by them: one was Full Sail, because it is expesive and out of state. The other was MassArt. That one, my mom insisted that the area was dangerous and that she wouldn't feel safe letting me go there. I agreed, mostly because I was fed up with the application process at that point, plus being shanked is only my list of things not to do.

After that, I turned down WPI, and the Art Institutde of Boston accepted me. My parent's weren't all "YAAAAAAAY!" because we pretty much knew I was getting in. Then after, UML accepted me, and then they were all excited.

I was pretty aggrevated, because I already got into a college, and they weren't really pumped then. Why get all excited about a state school? So the moment I got the letter, I called AIB and told them to withdraw my spot on the fall semester. They were pretty pissed that I made that important decision right on the spot (they don't like it when I spitefully do what they think is best. It's a low blow for them) and said "You should have given it some thought! Raaaaah!" And I just told them that I was doing what they wanted me to do, then went downstairs and played some Smash Bros.

They tried to convince me to reapply, and I said that I was going to UML, and that was final. So then they were mad because I didn't really give them much of a fight.

In the lon run, though, I've always come to realize that, even though they act like twits (oi...I think I've explained to them the BlueRay vs. HDDVD format war 16 times, and every time it's as if they never even heard of it) I know that they're: A) looking out for me and B) usually right.

My advice:

Tell your mom something along the lines of "fine, I'll go to (mother's insisted college here). I'll go there and be miserable, and I won't make any friends. My grades will probably suffer due to lack of enthusiasm, and I'll probably take up some dangerous habit to cope with my depression. I don't need to enjoy my college years." Not that dramatic, but you get the idea. Chances are, she'll feel guilty and let you go, or she'll get so pissed that she'll say "fine! Go wherever you want! I don't care!"

Or, you could be nonconfrontational and just sit down at dinner and explain your side of the story. Usually adults will cave in if the child shows maturity and just says "hey, I really want to go to this school, because I feel the environment is safe and the degree would be worth something, and I feel that you haven't given it much of a chance at all, and I don't think that's fair for me or the school."

i hate university. i gotta make my choices in a couple of months and i have absolute no idea what to do. going to a brit uni, the courses you take are very narrow, so theres no changing your mind once you've applied two years before you go, unless you start the process all over, in which you have to wait even more time, by which point i would have left school and it will be difficult to get ref's etc... shitfuckfannywaggle

EDIT:

Ash penetration $0/600
0.o

As for me, my parents aren't paying for my college because in the last few years they have overspent and are broke, so I'm on my own working my butt off or getting some kind of loan. However, even if my parents would pay for me to go, I would never let them tell me what school to go to. Just remember, in the end it's YOUR future, and if you think this school will be good for you then go for it.

I'm not all too crazy about Full Sail myself. Like.. I considered it, but in the end I just applied to 4 other colleges. I'm not sure if anyone agrees with this, but I've told Aerosol to just apply to a few colleges like Full Sail. Just to see if he gets in, you know? Perhaps they'll offer him a scholarship of some sort. I've also suggested printing out varios "tidbits" about the school such as tuition costs, courses, maps of the campus, pictures of the school, etc, etc and just placing them around the house in places she's likely to see them. On her makeup case, stick some in her pocketbook, put some on the dashboard of her car, on the cabinet where she keeps her coffee mug, etc. ::shrug::