A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PG vs. Roomate

Pheonix Gamma

K, so I'm in need of some advice, and, because I know some of the members here are a bit wiser than myself, I decided to come here for help...which I'll probably regret...

I have what is possibly one of the worst roomates. A rundown of some of the issues:

• He showers maybe once every....3 weeks? Factor in his smoking, and he smells like ass.
  • He's messy as ____: I have to clean up his shit so that I can walk around our room. Plus he leaves food around, so our room smells like him.
  • He plays, IMHO, shitty music, and plays it fairly loud, and refuses to use headphones. He also sings along with it, but he can't sing for crap. He told me he's a great singer, though, so it must be true.
  • Stays up late, usually keeping me up with the sounds of the Godfather the Game.
  • My TV has appearantly become his TV: He uses it more than I do
  • He builds up odor in his sleep. He frequently decides to sleep in until maybe 1PM, so this is a huge problem.
  • He doesn't even really come here to go to class: he's an aspiring band member looking to hit it big...but he's an english major who wants to be a history major and still be a Zoologist on the side while taking Alchemy classes. I didn't make that up, either.

So basically, my problem is dealing with his odor, and how he thinks he has a right to my TV. I did a photography project in my room, and needed to unplug his PS2, which is in my extension chord. I later put his PS2 beside his bed, with all of the shit I cleaned up for him, and I hid the power chord, because I'm sick of him spending all day sleeping and whoring up my TV. I came back from class today to see that he went through my desk and found it, then hooked it all back up, unplugging a few of my things in the process. What worse is that when I had Okami, he would play it nonstop, on my memory card on his PS2 on my TV. I couldn't get to use any of my shit, so I hid the game in my bag, thinking it would solve everything. It didn't, and I have a feeling he plays just in spite of me now.

At this point, I don't even want to talk to him; I walk around with headphones so he thinks I can't hear him and shuts up. I tried to get a new roomate, but noone wants to be stuck with him, so he's my problem.

My last resort is to tell the RA about the rum in his fridge, since we live in a dry dorm, but I'd rather work this out another way, but he's too thick headed to comprehend the words that I say to him.

So, I guess any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I want to avoid confrontation, but I won't be afraid to start one if he's going to get as bad as he was last semester.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't patronise you by telling you to sit him down and calmly explain how you feel about these problems. I have the feeling you've already been through that scenario, or at least considered that.

Besides that and the 'rum in the fridge' solution, however, I'm out of advice. Sorry.

Well anytime I bring up him smelling, he denys it. Any time I point out that he never went to class (and I have friends in his classes) he says he went. He pull the ol' "deny, deny, deny" trick, and it's annoying as hell.

Also, I didn't mention how he kicked me out for 5 hours to bang an ugly chick. On two occasions.

But ratting him out to the RA would be a douche move, and I'm gonna try to avoid using that unless it's the only way I can be happy in the place I live in.

I've posted pages apon pages of shit about him on myspace. I'm leaving out a lot because SFGHQ isn't my personal blog or anything. Basically imagine an egotistic wannabe emo kid with BO, a smoking habit he denies, and takes other peoples' kindess for granted (he owes a lot of money, plus our room is basically his room, his shit occupies most of it.)

Ugh...it's making me emo now...if life is so fair, why do roses have thorns? ;_; ::slits wrists::

My advice if you want it:

*Talk to him about your problems with him, stay calm but also keep a serious attitude.

*Try to reason with him for a bit even if he is denying it.

*Show him what you mean, ask friends to back you up. Sometimes words from multiple people gets somewhere.

*Tell him that's your property and you have no right touching it without your permission, period.

*If he still denies anything and you are on your last nerve, threaten to rat him out.

*If he still doesn't listen, rat him out.

I dealt with people similair to him before, trust me, and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It wouldn't be a douche move as it appears he's the one being a douche.

I was nice at first to my first roommate, who shared many qualities with your roomy PG, but then I blew an air-horn and screamed, "TAKE A ____ING SHOWER, ASSHOLE." Then his lethargic ass crawled into the shower.

When I wanted some private time to myself, because his creepy ass was always staring at me the way his desk was arranged, I told him to "GO ON AN ADVENTURE." He'd leave for about 3 hours.

He smelled so gross. He sat at the computer all day in a chat room, composing techno music with his MIDI keyboard and mixer. I always pretended to enjoy it. It was pretty harrowing especially when he'd return from the Lincoln "punk scene" at 2 AM. Plus, this kid was 3 inches taller than me and I am 6'3" of pure man. I felt so uncomfortable around the clock.

I got a new roommate ASAP...like a month into the school year. I requested a person on the tennis team and all we do now is party. Yay.

In summation, talk to your RD and switch out.

dude...MINE WATCHES ME ALL THE TIME TOO.

I stopped playing Zelda cause he would sit and watch me, he used to read my IMs and stuff, so I moved my laptop over to my bed away from him, because he had to sit right ____ing next to me every second I was in the room.

See, I want to do that, but I'm not as good of an asshole as you (no offence >.>) I left my phone charger in the power strip, and the phone's plugged in, so if he unplugs it, I'll just unplug his PS2 and put my headphones on and sit on my bed.

Get a thing of wd-40 and spray it into the cd-slot in the PS2.

I'm assuming that means dead PS2? I don't suppose WD-40 would kill his speakers and his odor, would it? If so, I'm gonna need a lot of WD-40, because my poor Febreez can't keep up.

As for the music problem, though, I discovered that he hates religion, and ska. I'm currently playing Five Iron Frenzy to get back at him for playing the same Thrice album over and over and over and over.

Ratting him out will accomplish nothing. He wouldn't get kicked out of your room, just put on probation or something screwy.

Seriously, tell him to shower. If he gives you lip, get in his face and tell him that if he doesn't start steppin' up to some shit, you're gonna bust his ____in head open. If he retorts, lay him out. Simple as that.