A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

(W.I.P.) Green Hill Zone act 1

Damizean

Green Hill Zone?___________________

I've been lurking around some forums about Sonic the Hedgehog hacking lately, and found out that some of the others Sonic communities have a very bad image about fangames. They claim fangames can't mimic the original games innerworkings nor the feeling. Of course, I want to probe this wrong:

Here's a (W.I.P.) proof of concept "port" of the first stage of Sonic the Hedgehog, Green Hill Zone. Since it's still Work in progress, there's almost half of the level objects missing, but I think this will be enough for prove fangames can.

The level (wich has been provided by Hez) is a dump from SonED2, wich includes the front layer, back layer and even collisions layer (this will ensure the collisions are 100% like the real thing).

Physics values are as accurate as I possibly could, most of them I got from The Taxman, Upthorn's Sonic the Hedgehog tricks and Hivebrain's Sonic 1 disassembly, so they somewhat feel like the real game. There's only one missing thing, though, and that's the on-air speed cap that Sonic games have, but well, that could be implemented in near no time (will do, later) :)

The engine used on this test is part of another project of mine, called Sonic the Hedgehog Worlds.

Sonic the Hedgehog Worlds?__________

Sonic the Hedgehog worlds is an open-source community-based project, where using the Vitalize! tool, people can freely play independant levels online (something along the guidelines of a "Showcase" webpage).

In the community webpage, I'll provide the engine in Open Source form, wich contains all the basic stuff in (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Rings, Monitors, Badniks, Hazards, Gimmiks and all the fancy stuff we have here =D), so people could focus on design and contribute with new levels. This webpage will probably have a rating system and competitions in order to attract and promote level creation (but don't except really good prices, I'm not that rich x_X).

If anyone is interested and wants to contribute with this project, everyone's welcome :)

Download__________________________

Get it from here

Credits____________________________

Engine:

- Damizean

Level:

- Sonic Team

- Dumped by Hez with SonED2

- Modified by me :)

Physics help:

- The Taxman

- Upthorn's Sonic the Hedgehog tricks

- S1 Disassembly by Hivebrain

- #S2Beta IRC Channel (more specifically Rolken, but meh)

Sonic CD-ish titlecard font

- Sir Euan (<3)

Sexy smoothed S2 walking animation:

- BlazeHedgehog

- Have fun!

They're just not true fangamers, and they probably suck at making their own. That's what I see when people say something like that. My definition of fangaming is making for fun, not making it to be better than SEGA or Sonic team. I'll try this now.

EDIT: Damizean, that is freakin' amazing, way to prove people wrong!

Rep point given.

Congrats to everyone who help.

Interesting project, and works quite well, for a work in progress. There's some nasty slowdown in there, like Midiman pointed out, but it's well on its way to emulate the Genesis games. Of course, Retro Sonic already did this, but it's nice to see that you can accomplish that level of accuracy on MMF.

Now, Sonic the Hedgehog Worlds... I commend you for your ambition, and I would help you if I could, because that's the most ambitious idea I've heard of around these parts. And it rings true to me: I'm still very much interested in fan-gaming, but anything other than the design process is such a chore that I would never get any project off the ground. Fine-tune an engine and create wicked gfx are way out of my league, I'm more of a layout man.

Having a basic "Sonic" engine ready for public use would probably spawn a nice community of people really commited to create good, original Sonic levels.

Maybe some people would be able to build a reputation in the fan-gaming community as "level designers", contributing levels to various fangames. One-man teams are becoming rarer as games get more complex, and this would be an excellent vehicle to encourage collaboration within the community.

Thank you, I'll probably have something more solid after I finish adding the important stuff (there's no death available yet, but I've already made the hurt and invincibility system). For people experiencing slowdowns, this is probably due the fill option for filling the whole window. Try out using the full screen mode, it gives a decent boost of speed (Alt+Enter)

Heh, this is awesome. And it'll be opensource later? Maybe then I'll be able to practice level design more. =D

Plays very well on my Athlon 64, but then I tried to use it to test full screen display on my old Pentium 2/450mhz which is currently hooked up to a TV =P. And it runs horribly. Around 5 fps, I think? I know PCs are getting faster, but I know a couple people who still run old ruins like that thing and they'd be left out of the fun.

Heh, this is awesome. And it'll be opensource later? Maybe then I'll be able to practice level design more. =D

Plays very well on my Athlon 64, but then I tried to use it to test full screen display on my old Pentium 2/450mhz which is currently hooked up to a TV =P. And it runs horribly. Around 5 fps, I think? I know PCs are getting faster, but I know a couple people who still run old ruins like that thing and they'd be left out of the fun.

Thats because of MMF2. I'm sure that if Dami made this in a programming language, that wouldnt be the problem at all, but that wouldnt make it as feasible as a MMF2 version, since its meant to be easy to use. If he had to make this in a programming language, he would need to make tools, implement scripting etc. which suddenly elevates the scale of the project to another level. I'm glad he used MMF2, as that means it will be done, and done fast ( Dami always delivers :D ) . It also makes it easier for those already used to the click product series ( which is atleast over half of all Sonic fangame makers )

I may be wrong though, but I believe thats it

Of caurse it's very kind to make it as opensource but think again. Not all of the people who has MMF2 are professional programmers. Some of MMF2owners are newbies who has no skills in gamemaking and programming with MMF2. But all of them dreams to make a sonic fangame. And despite learnig MMF2, lazy people will just say "You bet! The only thing I need is cool engine! If the game has a cool engine then it's cool". They will take your engine and there will be tons of badquality games with "cool 360 degree engine". Is it good?

Of caurse this is just my own opinion.

Aye, I can't code in MMF to the extent others can for diddly-quat, but I think I could create a impressive level structure.

Anyway it was a great engine and didn't really suffer from a slow down at all, although full screen there was a slight slowdown, I blame my PCs age. I like where your going with this, so good luck, and expect a few levels from me XD

Even if the amount of crappy games increases, the amount of good designers will increase aswel :)

But as far as fangaming popularity is conserned, the fact that the amount of crappy games will increase causes the increase of good designers to amount to nothing.

Of course, that's just as far as fangaming popularity is conscerned. If you want MY honest opinion, TRD comes pretty damn close...

Well, from here he was. Now spends his creative energy over at Sonic CulT, where he has a shitlist that reads:

SFGHQ - just go to the forum, say fuck once or twice, youll see.

BlazeHedgehog - This guy just straight up loves dick.

Of course... the first point is rather moot as of now.

He's also rather involved with S2Beta's forums... which isn't a place I frequent.

Does Hez use this? I've seen that he has ported GHZ, LZ, and SLZ to MMF. It is quite impressive.

EDIT:

link for those who don't know what I am talking about.

Nope, he's using another engine based on RCs, even though I offered him my engine if he wanted to use =3 Anyway, yep, it's impressive, he's doing a good work.