A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Favorite Game of '06

ila

Well we have the movie topic, but thats a tad too boring. So how about personal favorite videogames of 2006? Its a toss up for me since I have not finished any of the new games I've got this year, hell I forget what actually came out this year.

But if you want my opinion the game I've enjoyed the most is Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Souless Army. (Damn that name is ever worse than Super Mario Advance #: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island) Anyway the game is like the other SMT games except battle is more like the first Parasite Eve's battle system. Otherwise its a great tounge in cheek detective game with that demonic twist.

And yeah, Final Fantasy XII is somewhere on the list, but I'm really not sure where. My feelings about the game are both good and bad.

The Wii in general is in my list, but once again I'm not sure where as until recently I haven't been able to play it.

Also, although it took until 2007 for me to figure it out, Phantasy Star Universe (single player mode) is pretty excellent. I'll make a new PSU topic later though. And yeah, I actually finished that.

I loved FFXII. Definately my favorite FF. FFIII really pushed the DS this year too.

Of course, I followed KH2 since the secret ending in the original. At launch, I faked sick, and when my mom went to NH for dog agility, I hauled ass to the mall and got the very first copy, fresh out of the UPS box, then spent god knows how many hours that day playing. It didn't quite live up to my expecations, but I'll say that the battle system itself shattered them. It's really high up there. Square really stepped it up this year, IMHO.

Guitar Hero II is a blast. The tournament at my dorm attracted over 30 people (we had more people in the room than fire regulations allowed, and we were definately too loud during quiet hours.)

Disgaea 2, anyone? Best strategy game ever, though the dialoge doesn't match the original's. But the gameplay is amazing, since you can do almost anything.

WiiSports is fun. Sometimes, I'm in the mood for a relaxing game of...whatever... Elebits looks amazing. I might pick that up this week.

Metroid Prime Hunters has some fun multiplayer. Singleplayer blows. The only reason to beat it is to get the BFG-esqe gun for multiplayer. I remember the first time I played with an SFGHQer, we sent a voice message to each other saying "hey", but I always get freaked the ____ out when I hear other people talking from my speakers, so we sent text messages saying "poop." Then we realized we were both on AIM and it was redundant.

I'll say Twilight Princess, but let me just say it's not the game of the year for me :E

WTF....Zonar...Ila made it clear that it's FAVORITE. I.E. PERSONAL OPINION. Ergo, stop saying "is better" or "pwns." Say things like "I enjoyed this game a lot because" or "this game's controls are superior or others in it's genre, in my opinion. Not how Midiman makes it clear that he's not trying to state his opinion as fact.

Elite Beat Agents is fun if you get past some of the song choices (I rather detest YMCA) and they did an excellent job localizing the game for the Western audience.

Tekken Dark Resurrection & Mortal Kombat Unchained PSP:

I was amazed at the quality of the game and the graphics, Although Tekken looked more detailed than MKU.

Favorite DS game is Metroid Prime Hunters, The multiplayer mode is kickass, can't wait to buy the Wifi unit to battle online.

Guest Shadix

IMO this year has been pretty dry in good releases.

I won't be able to provide a good response to this topic until I have thoroughly played through Gears of War and the other games I got for Xmas.

I could be devils advocate though and say Sonic Riders.

^ Or Sonic the Hedgehog. :D

*waits for Sereph to bash the crap out of that game for no apparent reason*

But really, not too much for me to pick from. Guess I'll go out on a limb and pick Tales of the Abyss, even though the US release is a little buggier than the JP version.

Do I hear a Gears of War anybody? Obviously the best game of '06 nothing comes close to this game besides Twilight Princess.

GoW was a blast to play, but after a while of the same fighting it gets boring. Plus it was 10 hours too short.

I think we should've had categories. So I'll do it as such. Keep in mind I haven't finished the majority of these games, as I tend to play my games slowly so they last longer. These are some of my faves divided into categories to show why I pick them and explain why they deserve the title.

Effort and Improvement: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

- Adventure fields and multiple paths are finally back and in full swing. Upgrades, overall better level design, great boss design (of which I haven't seen the likes of since, say, SA2), and just an overall better experience. Only things that bring it down are glitches and the lack of smaller things like physics on rails. Definitely a step in the right direction, regardless.

Game I Want Most: Gears of War

- I'm not really one for shooting games. I'll play a little bit of capture the flag in Halo, but I've never really been crazy about a shooter since Goldeneye on the N64. Playing GoW last night at a friend's house changed this. It's one of the more unique games because it allows you to take cover and blind-fire allowing for excellent online play. However this is also one of it's faults: I wouldn't really buy this game to play by myself. I'm only going to purchase it after I get ethernet ports installed in my room so that I can play either co-op or live.

Most Surprising: Table Tennis

- Table Tennis.. as a videogame. No, that didn't really strike me as something that would be so utterly awesome. I don't even like sports games, save for NFL2K. This is a complete and utter surprise from Rockstar. Developing a fun and addictive game in which no one smokes crack or gets killed? Amazing!

Overall Favorite Game: Sonic Next >.>

"GoW was a blast to play, but after a while of the same fighting it gets boring. Plus it was 10 hours too short."

So wait.. it gets boring for the short amount of playtime you have, yet you still want to keep playing? Haha, wow. Contradictory much.

It wasn't contradictory, I just didn't give enough information. I enjoy the game, but the game is too short, thus resulting in me playing it more to get more playtime out of it, which makes the same fights more boring.

See how far a little brainwork goes, Scatta?

Andrew: That tends to happen when you play a game of this sort over and over again, anyway. I should've known that by "same fighting" you meant that you played the same game over and over, and didn't mean the much talked about engine that allows you to fight in a different way than most games by ducking behind objects and the like. Honestly, you're saying that I could use a bit more brain work? You could've combined those two sentences so that they didn't seem like two completely seperate ideas. Heck even changing "fighting" to "fights" would've made that more clear because as of now there's no indication you played the game more than once. My fault for not knowing what you meant or, essentially, you not giving enough information.