A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

We've come bearing gifts...

rogueyoshi

Presenting the cutting edge in open source engines:

The Xmas Gift Pack(based on technologies from Sonic Dash)

lolrp3.gif

Features:

Advanced parallax backgrounds

Advanced animation system

Data Encryption

Ultra accurate physics(360 engine)

Failsafe Movement(Works up to 3600 times the speed of light)

Item boxes

Character actions

And other various features/examples

Credits:

Damizean(for Co-Programming this thing)

Me(for Co-Programming this thing)

Upthorn(for providing various Sonic-related algorithms)

Midiman(the HUD)

This is basically a gift to the community that gave so much. The gameplay and quality herein is what you can expect from the upcoming "Sonic Dash".

btw, if anyone is able to put this on the main site, please do. i want this to get exposed to as many people that can use it as possible.

Merry Xmas Everyone!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

done. sorry i forgot.

haha, that thing is old anyways, I should just give away that thing.

its "MEH".

EDIT: oh and for you people trying to port this to MMF/2, take out the code and organize the sections in wordpad, and translate them into events. That's probably the easiest way to do so.

By the way, this engine features a fail-safe engine, wich reduces dramatically engine glitching at ultra-high speeds. I've tryied with 3600 times the speed of lights (calculated by Mark based on Sonic's height xD) and it works correctly.

By the way, play out with the Gravity Angle (Q button), you'll see flying and gliding works aswell with changed gravity direction :D

Yes, pretty much had it working several months ago :3

T_T Sucks then that I had the idea a year ago but not the knowledge to put it to work.

Get GM6 then.....

That's not the problem. The problem is that something in gm6 hates my computer and causes any games made with it not to run.

Some things I didn't like...

1. The engine is almost COMPLETELY differently used than your old engines, Damizean, so it would be hard to implement some aspects of this if you were already very far along with the other engines.

2.All of the characters sprites are seperate images, instead of many sprites in one image file with an animation engine.

3.If the character that follows you goes offscreen, he's gone forever. Tails usually flew back to you in the other games.

Other than that, awesome job.

1. The engine is almost COMPLETELY differently used than your old engines, Damizean, so it would be hard to implement some aspects of this if you were already very far along with the other engines.

The older engine was cluttered and not all that organized, according to mr Yoshi up there. He's been planning the rewrite ever since the August Builds.

2.All of the characters sprites are seperate images, instead of many sprites in one image file with an animation engine.

He loves all of us who use clickteam products, thats why.

And he wants all of us using MMF/2 to create a similar engine of his calibur and make him proud ;D.

Some things I didn't like...

3.If the character that follows you goes offscreen, he's gone forever. Tails usually flew back to you in the other games.

Other than that, awesome job.

1.- Yes, that's why it's a good improvement. We've tryied to make a balance between readability and organization. How everything is handled now allows some room for easier implementation of other actions, as they're now just interconnected.

2.- Yes, this was done for some reasons:

a) It saves VRAM space

B) It's easier to make animations

c) It's faster (render wise and collision detection wise)

The new animation system, while it's not much different at all (Only the way how things are accesed had changed, plus added independent keyframes), it lets you select wich sprite you want to assign to that animation, and what frames you want to use. It also lets you change the speed for each single frame, so it makes easier to do animations like the idle one from Knuckles.

You can still use a whole spritesheet, but due the reasons I said before, it's not recommended. I always used a whole spritesheet because I was kinda lazy, but now I made a decent animation system.

If you want to check the animation files inner format, you can decrypt them using the script for encrypt files. You need to use the "FreeForUse" signature.

3.- Yeah, that wasn't implemented ^^

Midi : MMF sucks! Long live to GM!