A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Kingdom hearts tidbits, tis for you scatta!

shadowgoten

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SG: When did Sega's own games suck? NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Shenmue, the Sega Sports line, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Phantasy Star Online, Chu-chu Rocket, etc were all incredibly awesome games. Granted those first two didn't get around much, but that was for other reasons and not because the games were of bad quality. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your phrasing or something.

PG: How hard can it be to plan? It can mean pretty much anything from storyboarding to writing to character design at this point. In short, things that aren't really "omb time consuming." For all we know this "planning" can simply mean that Nomura's been drafting various scripts or something. Planning isn't truly that hard a thing to do. >.>

DW: Oh really? At some point or another there was only Nintendo and Sega and the industry brought tons of great games from that, I don't see why it'd be any worse without Sony. Unless I'm missing some other hardware company that was around during the Nintendo/Sega struggle of the late 80s/early 90s.

SG: When did Sega's own games suck? NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Shenmue, the Sega Sports line, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Phantasy Star Online, Chu-chu Rocket, etc were all incredibly awesome games. Granted those first two didn't get around much, but that was for other reasons and not because the games were of bad quality. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your phrasing or something.

O.o when did I say anything about Sega sucking? I love most sega games pre-sammy merger

DW: Oh really? At some point or another there was only Nintendo and Sega and the industry brought tons of great games from that, I don't see why it'd be any worse without Sony. Unless I'm missing some other hardware company that was around during the Nintendo/Sega struggle of the late 80s/early 90s.

Realistically speaking here, more competition is always better.

Serephim: So what if you haven't played KH2? The game's been out for quite some time now. Note how I never complained about Sonic Rush simply because I never played Sonic Advance 3. No there isn't already a KH3, hence the use of the word "planning" as in it's not actually ready for release yet nor is it playable. Hence Kingdom Hearts 3 doesn't actually exist. So no, there isn't a KH3. Also, let's not forget that Square Enix is a huge team. They're capable of developing mutliple projects at the same time. It's amazing how you don't complain about Nintendo or Sonic Team doing the same. I especially love the next statement "Square Enix is doing it again.." What are they doing again? Developing a game? That's a horrible thing for a team of developers to do. Or are you talking about the fact that they're making another entry into the Kingdom Hearts franchise? 'Cuz like.. they totally aren't allowed to do that. Are you sure you're not the person that was arguing that there never would've been a KH2 if it weren't for the Square Enix merger? I know I asked this somewhere else recently and I believe you denied it, but I can't seem to shake the feeling off.

DW: Oh? Sure more competition is always better, but I'd rather have only two competitors that actually care about bringing top-notch games to the industry than another which seems to care far more about establishing a HD format that isn't truly needed and driving up prices. I'm not saying more competition isn't better, I'm simply saying that there has been a time when the industry did well with few competitors because both actually did their job- they provided games. And I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "realistically" here, since the example I gave actually happened and was.. real. o.O?

SG: Whoops. I totally meant to type "Sef" there. xD

DW: Oh? Sure more competition is always better, but I'd rather have only two competitors that actually care about bringing top-notch games to the industry than another which seems to care far more about establishing a HD format that isn't truly needed and driving up prices. I'm not saying more competition isn't better, I'm simply saying that there has been a time when the industry did well with few competitors because both actually did their job- they provided games. And I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "realistically" here, since the example I gave actually happened and was.. real. o.O?

Well, I don't know exactly what you've been noticing, but Microsoft was the first to start the price hike on videogames (400 dollars for the console and 60 dollars for games) and Sony pretty much just followed suit. Also, I'm willing to forgive the mistakes of the current generation if Sony goes back to the type of style where they promote creativity like that seen with the original Playstation. Quite frankly, I saw more risks taken on the original Playstation to bring innovation to gaming than just about any other console... at least with games that came to America anyway. I mean, FFT, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Mana, Saga Frontier, Valkrie Profile, and I haven't even gotten off of Square yet. Then of course there was Legend of Legaia, Klonoa, etc. Granted, the one truth to all these games just about is lackluster PS2 sequels (exempting FFT, and possibly Klonoa)

In any event, I'd rather see Sony return to being a good company than seeing the bad company that they are now die.

Off topic: Anyone see those sick KH2 figures? Square seems to be getting a lot of good quality figures that don't look deformed (like a lot of games and anime.) Too bad they're so damned expensive.

DW: I'd also like Sony to smarten up. I kinda miss the one on one console race that was Nintendo vs. Sega. I know it's kinda retarded to wish this, but I kinda hope Microsoft doesn't give another go at consoles.

Regarding PS2 games not innovating or taking risks as much, the PS1 was the first in the series, and the games on that system (as well as N64 and Saturn) were really the trailblazers of 3D games. The PS2 was essentially just PS1 but with more power, some little features here and there, and a DVD player (interesting how, at first, a lot of people got a PS2 for DVD support because the players were expensive, but PS3 isn't being scouped for Blu-ray.) IMHO, PS2, XB, and GCN weren't all that innovative at all, and if the hardware doesn't innovate, it's kinda harder for developers to innovate.

I read an article talking about how Nintendo developed the Wii with the developers and the games in mind, whereas Sony developed the PS3 with power in mind and let the developers worry about what they'll make. It was really well-written. I'll see if I can find it.

Oh, and Klonoa 2 is the best in the series, IMHO.

Yes. It is retarded to think that. Microsoft has been one of the better guys this time. I mean really, they are even pushing for the Indy groups. At this point in the game, there is no doubt that Microsoft is the most successful of this generation, and deservably so.

The reason PS3 isn't being scouped for Blu-ray is because no one cares about Blue Ray. Everyone hated the VHS tape while the DVD disk is generally loved. Blue ray doesn't add anything except resolution while the DVD added certain levels of interaction and took the ability for the reader to eat the medium out of the equation.

They have the most market penetration by far and the most games sold. What more is there? They had the first to market advantage, a price advantage over Sony, no considerable power disadvantage, and more 3rd party support than they did with the original XBox. What exactly is this "it" most successul is pushing?

Ok...not to come off as a total Wii-head, but the Wii has sold 3.19 million consoles worldwide, and just in a month. Consider that the 360 has sold a little over 7.74 million worldwide in the year or so it's been out, and it's not hard to predict the system overtaking the 360 in terms of units sold.

As for the possibility of the PS3 catching up...I've seen quite a bit of PS3s "in the wild" so to speak (i.e. in store shelve just chillin') but I don't have the figures on that, and we don't know how many will be shipped every, say, month. Maybe if it had a killer app it could catch up, though.

So yea, I think it's gonna be a much closer race, and I think the winner will be the Wii or PS3, depending on what titles the PS3 can get and how many units it can get out, and how soon Wii will stop getting the crap games the DS got it's first few months and start getting some really good titles (aside from....ya know...Zelda...which is consuming my life...excuse me...)

You see, PS3s are in markets now because the demand isn't high anymore... not because Sony caught up with some impossibly high demand. You had the people who were willing to pay any price buying them, and now you don't have too many people buying them any more.

But if PS3 does miraculously catch up, I'll be thinking...

oh... my... science.

ohmysciencety7.png

Then I suspect my head will explode.

"Consider that the 360 has sold a little over 7.74 million worldwide in the year or so it's been out, and it's not hard to predict the system overtaking the 360 in terms of units sold."

So? What's your point? Even if the Wii does overtake the X360, that doesn't mean the system is successful. Honestly, you don't have to come in first to have success. That's just ignorance. If you started a company and you ended up having a chain consisting of five stores which is significantly (understatement) less than say.. the amount of Wal-Mart or Best Buy stores, would you considering having that chain of 5 stores a failure?

"(i.e. in store shelve just chillin')"

I believe your word choice of "chillin'" proves my point. If you have tons of consoles just sitting around and you've -just- launched, meaning it's a "hot item" and everyone is supposed to want it that means there's a problem. It's better if you don't have enough consoles to stay on the shelves for long because it means people are buying them up and you're making money. And the only reason there were none on shelves when it first came out is because Sony is in idiot anyway. Get a book on economics or read up on Supply and Demand. >.>

Who cares?

Ultimately, nobody knows who's going to come out a winner. Let's just say that the 360 had a huge head start. That's all you really got to go on at this point.

At any rate, I think I'd like traditional control for Kingdom Hearts. Maybe if they bring it to the Wii the classic controller can be used instead.

"DW said the 360 would be 'most successful,' and I'm saying it's a possibility that it won't be." -DW

"At this point in the game, there is no doubt that Microsoft is the most successful of this generation, and deservably so." -PG

Microsoft is indeed in the lead as of right now, with the Nintendo Wii right on it's heels. So.. either way..

Sonic Project: But that's what he said? o.O;; Also.. how do these controllers work? I've heard that some games don't allow he GC controller and the nunchuck is sold seperately which leads me to believe it isn't required by all games either- it sounds like a headache waiting to happen if all the games are picky like that. >.>

Scatta you get 1 remote and 1 nunchuck when you get your console, so there's not too much of a headache there. I don't think many games yet are utilizing gamecube or classic controls other than the virtual console games. Metal slug does use gamecube controls for one of the control schemes (thank god).

Honestly I'm looking for more classic control compatibility, I love the look and feel of the control.