A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Kingdom hearts tidbits, tis for you scatta!

shadowgoten

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/20/more-kingdom-hearts-in-2007/

Look like Kingdom hearts is going to definately have a sequel. We can only hope that they move away from the PS3, like dragon quest did.

We also get more offshoots of the series as well, like chain of memories. I'd like to see something hit the psp that can rival the gameplay of 1 or 2...no gimmicks..just straight up KH action.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, they'd feel inclined to use uber amounts of excess polygons and normal mapping, and the entire artistic style would just collapse in on itself.
No. Have you seen the KH CG intros? These had a lot of polygons and ____ yet didn't kill the artstyle.

Regarding platform choices, current candidates as of today in no particular order are:

-PS3.

-Wii.

-PS3/360 multi.

-DS.

If it ends in the DS, it'll be ruined. Wii I don't know how it'd work properly and it'd take a graphical hit compared to Square's next gen stuff, but I can bear that. The other two choices I'd be happier with, given their PS3 White Engine and all.

Don't expect development on this to start any soon though, not with Nomura doing Versus and that DS game.

The engine makes the game work, but does not dictate the gameplay. That's why, in example, you can have the UE3 powering up RPGs. If it settled the gameplay, commercial applications would be limited to FPS only :P

The White Engine is being put to use at this moment for a traditional RPG and an Action RPG (XIII and Versus respectively) but nothing stops Square to create a, say, Einhander sequel with it.

Problem with ports is how specific the engine is. It's been tailored to PS3 hardware, which is pretty different than the 360 and I don't think Square would be willing to rewrite all the code and optimize again, they're not of the porting kind. Hence 360 users would get a comparatively crappy game, running much worse than it's PS3 counterpart. It goes like this for almost every "console specific" game - ever saw MGS2 Xbox? Totally gimped compared to the PS2 original, despite being the Xbox much more powerful (which wouldn't happen this time).

Of course, Square could have taken Capcom's approach and design an easy-to-port engine: Lost Planet could run on PS3 easily, and so DMC4 on 360... but neither of them will look as incredible and if their were made to use ALL of the console's power. Optimization ftw.

Meh, I'm writing all of this from the perspective of a person who knows he'd get the "lead" version in either case, perhaps if it was the other way around I'd welcome a crappy port... but it's also true I do have certain technical expectatives for a Square game :P

360 and PS3 are almost equally hard to program for, although the former being easier to code than the latter. This is probably what you've heard of, and is due to PC similarities (many Xbox devs are used to create PC games, hence they're better) plus Microsoft's tools are a tad better than Sony's. It's worth noting developing for PS3 is much simpler than for PS2, tho.

But that wouldn't affect the scenario I described at all. S-E currently has a PS3 game engine, designed to run PS3 code on PS3-alike hardware. To create an hypotetical port Square could: A] "Force" the PS3 code to run on 360 hardware. B] Rewrite the entire engine to 360 code.

Option B is much more time consuming and costly, given the nature of the WE they'd have to find workarounds for certain areas the 360 could not handle properly (but also implementing stuff the 360 can do better than PS3, I guess).

Option A is cheaper and faster. But the result will be less spectacular, to put it lightly. Square has spent a lot of money on R+D to create the WE, not to mention the ingame assets. They wouldn't want to spend more (ruling out option "B", they'd want a quick cash-in. Hence why I believe this would be their approach.

And the overly high polygon thing was mostly a joke ;-;
I *knew* you were clever than that, but just in case I commented :3

And for some reason, there are all kinds of games being released on both platforms that don't have a fraction of the userbase of Final Fantasy games. Dude, porting a title between these two consoles isn't that expensive and the yields for releasing on both platforms would be astronomically higher than the yields just for releasing on the PS3. Its a no brainer.

Dude, everything is fun on the Wii.

I would highly enjoy swinging the keyblade and pointing at my enemy as i yell "FIRE!!" and watch my spell dart into their face with pinpoint accuracy.

I havent played KH2 yet, and already theirs a 3?

Square Enix is doing it again....

I'm not talking about the likeliness of a port, I'm talking about the comparative quality of each version :P

Certainly. And I'm saying right now that its not going to be a big issue. And if push really comes to shove, Square will put the primary development with the console that has the larger user base. Maybe not for the first game... but once they see the sale, there will be a shift.

I have a 360 and a Wii, and I don't EVER plan on getting a PS3. Its amazingly overpriced, and Sony doesn't usually let the price drop of their systems for 3-4 years. The graphics are a little better than the 360, no big whoopidy doo. Most people don't own an HDTV anyway. The 360 is good for oldschool gaming stuff, and the Wii is new and original. I can see why Sony said the PS3 would probably be their last system, I can see it dying right now. These developers pulling out on them will just make it even worse.

Certainly. And I'm saying right now that its not going to be a big issue. And if push really comes to shove, Square will put the primary development with the console that has the larger user base. Maybe not for the first game... but once they see the sale, there will be a shift.
Assuming a multiplatform KH3 comes out (not earlier than 2009 I'd wager) and the 360 version sells a crapload more, then yes, there's a chance Square would tune their engine to fit both consoles nicely or the 360 better... for KH4. The third game'd have suffered already.

Another possibility is Square creating a whole new engine for the 360 out of the blue (LOL) or Microsoft sending trucks of money to S-E HQ to make a WE X360 game pre-KH3 (they'd have gathered experience).

Actually, my best hope is that this generation smashes that pathetic ego that Sony has had for the past X number of years and makes them make something good. If Sony were to actually die out, we'd be missing some critical competition.
I wouldn't mind that outcome this generation. And I'm the PS3 guy here :D Thanks to competition products get better, and seeing Sony go the SEGA route (as in "own games sucking after third partyness") would be really sad. Whoops, thread derailment alert.

@Spike: wtf? XD

@DW

I saw it on some website. I didn't save the link. (They said it MIGHT be the last system)

I hope it crushes those little rich kids who only care about graphics, too. That's one of my 'pet peeves', when someone gives their arguments about a system and just says "graphics, graphics, graphics. Wii sucks because it has worse graphics, cry cry cry".

@DW

I saw it on some website. I didn't save the link. (They said it MIGHT be the last system)

I hope it crushes those little rich kids who only care about graphics, too. That's one of my 'pet peeves', when someone gives their arguments about a system and just says "graphics, graphics, graphics. Wii sucks because it has worse graphics, cry cry cry".

Pfft. Little rich kids who love graphics play PC games.