A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

An SFGHQ resource project - Ultimate Gimmick Pack for 360

I've been in high spirits lately to work on stuff and Ogtrax has been missing, hence I've been bouncing around erratically between projects... So right now, I'm pleased to announce a resource that I intend to throw some effort into.

In the effort to provide people new to the fangame scene, I intend to start working on an overall pack of already made gimmicks consisting of almost every interesting mechanical gimmick from Sonic 1 to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. By mechanical gimmick, I mean something that the player interacts with which in turn interacts with the player.

Examples include some of the stuff I've been doing for Slingerland, which currently includes swinging platforms like those seen in Aqua Ruin and a working imitation of the screw/nut combination seen in Metropolis Zone. Right now, I'm also working on these:

[qimg]http://darkdjinn.brpxqzme.net/remoteimages/IceGimmick.PNG[/qimg]

Ice Cap Zone Trampoline

Now, the basic premise behind this project is the creation of gimmicks... particularly those gimmicks that are highly based in Newtonian physics. For that reason, I'm looking to the games for early inspiration, but at the same time, just recycling mechanics found in the game gets boring. So, for the sake of having some fun and so that I can leach ideas in exchange for actualization, lets try to come up with some new gimmicks.

Like for instance, that one up is, at its core, nothing more than a trampoline. The player hits the trampoline's platform, the player's kinetic energy (basically just a function of y velocity) is slowly converted to spring potential energy (which is reflected in the position of the platform... and thus the character; also, while the player holds the down key down, potential energy is produced more efficiently), and then when the kinetic energy is exhausted, it snaps back. The returning speed of the platform is given by a relationship of the current potential energy stored (which of course is being transfered back into kinetic energy at this point, only its being stored as a different value this time so as to make programming it easier). Because the platform is bound by springs, the platform will always be back at its initial position when the player's velocity exceeds the platforms and is thus launched. At the initial position, the y acceleration of the platform is zero.

Also, while the player is not in contact with the platform, the restoring rate (not to be confused with force, which is the same), is much higher. In this instance, both kinetic and potential energy of the platform approach zero much faster.

Anyway, thats the general idea. I want people to think about physical things like that, suggest a gimmick to make, and then describe how it reacts. Using that as a basis, I will make a gimmick embedded with the 360 engine and eventually release it as an engine template to compliment our current collection of 360 primers.

EDIT:

Also, to anyone who has already made and programmed gimmicks for the 360 engine, I'd be glad to look at them and integrate them into the primer eventually.

EDIT: I also intend to release both MMF and GM versions. Since GM is more optimized and uses a nicer scripting language, I'll probably lag more behind on the MMF version at any given time than the GM version.

Hit me on AIM "Sodisna". I have a SykSan Gimmick.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent progress, I'll have to say no. Zelda consumed my life, but thats finished now, so I'll be getting back to this project.

Certainly not grinding, and more over, homing attack is... an attack. Not a gimmick.

Grinding lacks the classic feel. More over, its too involved a gimmick to limit the use to a single stage. Gimmicks need to be simple and concise.

And I'm interested in doing certain Flying Battery gimmicks. Namely, these:

rb.PNG

magnetic.PNG

I loved the gimmick in the first pick you've shown. I wish you luck on getting it to work right.

I have a question. What zone are you asking for exactly that I get the lever thing from? I was thinking of Mushroom Hill, but it's not exact a 'lever'.

Also, how would you go about making this?

VineGimmick.png

Edit: There's also this to consider:

FloatingMushroom.png

Then again, you might have done it already. I'm not sure how many you've completed at this moment.

I loved the gimmick in the first pick you've shown. I wish you luck on getting it to work right.

I have a question. What zone are you asking for exactly that I get the lever thing from? I was thinking of Mushroom Hill, but it's not exact a 'lever'.

I was thinking Starlight/Hilltop zone actually. The concept is the same though.

Also, how would you go about making this?

VineGimmick.png

Well, depending on which way the pivot point is facing, I'd make them all have a y displacement relative to how far to the left/right Sonic is from the ball.

There's also this to consider:

FloatingMushroom.png

Then again, you might have done it already. I'm not sure how many you've completed at this moment.

I haven't done it already, but I'm working on Monkey bars. The concept is the same as just working on a hanging bar, only you give it a certain rate of descent and you allow the player to send it where he wants. Basically, if you can do a monkey bar like flying battery, you can do that pretty easily.

I was thinking Starlight/Hilltop zone actually. The concept is the same though.

Alright then. Maybe I'll just have both for the heck of it. =P

Well, depending on which way the pivot point is facing, I'd make them all have a y displacement relative to how far to the left/right Sonic is from the ball.

True and all, but the more left you go, it starts to wrap around itself.

VineGimmick2.png

VineGimmick3.png

How exactly would you make it do that is what I meant.

I haven't done it already, but I'm working on Monkey bars. The concept is the same as just working on a hanging bar, only you give it a certain rate of descent and you allow the player to send it where he wants. Basically, if you can do a monkey bar like flying battery, you can do that pretty easily.

Actually, I suggested it as I wasn't sure if you've done it yet. =P I thought that if you're making a gimmick pack, you might as well tackle as many as you can. I figured basically the same as you did, though I didn't connect the monkey bars with it.

True and all, but the more left you go, it starts to wrap around itself.

VineGimmick2.png

VineGimmick3.png

How exactly would you make it do that is what I meant.

Hmm, I forgot that part. Well, you could always make a layered platform cheat that works as long as the player start the obstacle from a certain positition on the thing, and then make the object just an animated object and change the animation frame based on Sonic's position.

Alternatively, you could do some manner of annoying math relationship, but really that would be more of a pain in the ass than its worth.

Hmm, I forgot that part. Well, you could always make a layered platform cheat that works as long as the player start the obstacle from a certain positition on the thing, and then make the object just an animated object and change the animation frame based on Sonic's position.

I love how you read my thoughts. ^.^ I asked as I thought you knew a way using raw math, but they way you describe it, it would scare lark.

Anyways, mushroom lever is done. Going to do the one from Hill Top now.

Download Mushroom Lever AVI

---------

I'm having a problem DW. =/ Apparently the Platform Object in MMF doesn't support fine collisions against other objects, and it's necessary for the Hill Top lever. My only solution at this point would be to design a static engine and two reasons for not doing that is one, my tutorial is made to show that the Platform Object is usable and can make things easier and two, I need to work on my game for the sfghq competition and I don't want to spend a lot of time on an engine. The gimmick stuff was for me to do every now and then as I need a break.

I'll see what you have later on and play with it. We shouldn't really need a platform object for it...

Are you working from the 360 engine or from some other static engine?

I'm making the gimmick into my multitutorial pack. *points to sig*

I could continue it with a 360 engine to work with...

No you don't, as I don't want to use the 360 engine at the main site. I was actually hinting at whatever you're using so you won't have to pain yourself in converting it over. ( Even though it would probably be a sinch. =P )

-----------------

The Hilltop lever is all set up and would work had it not been for the Platform Object bug. It's uploaded and you can download it using the link in my sig. It apparently flings you up at three different heights all of which have been programmed into it and I believe ( though it's hard to test ) that it will work with multiple levers.