A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

An SFGHQ resource project - Ultimate Gimmick Pack for 360

I'm a little bit new to Advanced engine creation, but couldn't you make a second seperate counter controlling the Y effect for sonic? Like say the second counter only activates when a certain gravity area, then once out of the area deactivate it.

Sure, but you'd have to keep track of when and how Sonic enters each "region" which can be time-consuming and process heavy. It's better just to adjust the direction of the player's sensors depending upon a global variable. You'll also have to adjust spring checking as well, though. (Note to self: must update example when given the opportunity...)

Well, think about it this way. Every device has to react on multiple facets. The screws in metropolis zone, when ran upon from underneath, would spin in the opposite direction for your running from what they would if you were running from on top. This seems like a minor change yes, but you have to keep this kind of mentality at the center of your mind when coding every aspect of every gimmick. Its just a tad overwhelming.

If you noticed, Death Egg Zone 2 in S3K didn't have a terrible amount of stuff to interact with that wasn't just either pathed movement, a generic spring, or a moving platform... except for one thing. There were those crazy seasaw platforms too, but that wouldn't bother me nearly as much as something like a mine cart or... upside down monkey bars (how weird would that look?)

Noone said you had to make every gimmick work with the anti-gravity, it's its own gimmick that only needs the layout of the land to make use of it. Maybe a couple of cheesy anti-gravity friendly gimmicks (some probably work well on their own) and a big enough warning that anti-gravity will screw up most gimmicks and don't worry about idiots putting one of them see-saw grabby things in a place where Sonic can get to upside-down.

But I guess really one would preffer to start with an engine designed to work different gravities from the get-go if one wants good anti-gravity.

He DID use the qualifier borderline.

In any event... I've almost gotten the bloody Ice Cap Zone trampolines done, but I have some major tweaking to do... first with a very major glitch where repeated bounces don't work for no visually aparent reason (I'll find that easily), then just adding the functionality of increasing the snap back by holding down during the descent, and finally, just generally tweaking of values.

Oh wait, I also have to add the rings, but thats easier than anything. Except that I have to find a way to make the rings unique to the individual trampoline... which in that case becomes a little more annoying given the way MMF handles everything in the most inane and freaky of ways possible.

Oh wait, I also have to add the rings, but thats easier than anything. Except that I have to find a way to make the rings unique to the individual trampoline... which in that case becomes a little more annoying given the way MMF handles everything in the most inane and freaky of ways possible.

Here's how it could probably be done. ( Haven't tested it, just an idea. ) Spread a value in all the springs. Now run a loop and if the index matches a spring, create the rings for it and set one of the values for each ring to match the spring. This will allow you to have a way to identify which ring belongs with which spring.

Here's how it could probably be done. ( Haven't tested it, just an idea. ) Spread a value in all the springs. Now run a loop and if the index matches a spring, create the rings for it and set one of the values for each ring to match the spring. This will allow you to have a way to identify which ring belongs with which spring.

The part with the rings is easy. The hard part is getting Sonic to be able get on each one and then be launched by each one without breaking the platforms altogether. At first I thought that part would be simple, but its really turning out to be quite a pain in the ass.

I'm just going to leave this one as is with decay until I get some more gimmicks done and can come back to it. I really want to get monkey bars working most right now.