A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

wvYTFTL.png

Progress on the title screen ring! This is all rendered via the engine rather than having a 1 frame background image. The giant ring, banner, and propellers are all separate pieces, while the Sonic sprite is shown after a specific even happens. (And the top half is drawn twice to prevent layering issues.)

On top of that, the banner animates, the propellers spin, and those balls are generated via a code similar to how the chain for the swining platform is done. The banner itself kind of bobs up and down in the air, and it's neat to look at.

As of now, I still have not added shading to the ring, as you can still see the clipping errors and gaps where the raw model refused to connect. This will probably be the next thing changed, as it bothers me to even look at it.

Oh, and going to probably make the title theme a remix of that Right Said Fred song, Wonderman.

Edited by Betaman
  • Like 5

FNESxI5.png

New enemy concept in development: a bee that carries a platform. Two versions too, with a stationary bee that lets the platform swing, and a moving one that lets the platform trail behind. If you pop it, the platform has nothing to support it anymore and drops out of the sky, making you take the lower path. Since I'm doing difficulty options, I'll probably make it so that you can't kill the enemy on lower difficulties.(Can you tell that I'm having fun with the sprite chain code yet?)

• Like 5

Neat concept! But it's bugging me that in order to proceed you have to NOT kill badniks. When I play a Sonic game I like to destroy every badnik on my way especially if they contain innocent animals inside waiting to be rescued. Maybe it'd be a better idea to change badnik into some badnik-ish robot (like Starlight zone bombs except these would be destroyable) that would not give you score and release an animal upon destruction?

Neat concept! But it's bugging me that in order to proceed you have to NOT kill badniks. When I play a Sonic game I like to destroy every badnik on my way especially if they contain innocent animals inside waiting to be rescued. Maybe it'd be a better idea to change badnik into some badnik-ish robot (like Starlight zone bombs except these would be destroyable) that would not give you score and release an animal upon destruction?

I would absolutely change the badnik design. The above picture is from the drawing engine, where I test any weird concepts to see if they animate well. That bee is really only there because I didn't want to use a simple circle and, to be honest, it had a little loop for the chain on it anyhow. If I had to change it, I would probably replace it with an Orbinaut looking guy.

Guest Mr Lange

I love this idea, and I think you should keep it functioning like a real badnik, animal, score and all. It would give players something to think about, trying to strategize which path will have the best score. Even better if it were part of a combo of badniks nearby, making the choice that much more difficult. It also gives Eggman more credibility as a mad genius to try and force Sonic to not mess with his badniks in order to progress.

• Like 7

Well I mean it's not that big a deal. I can do both options since I'm doing difficulty settings. I can make it so that you go through the enemy on easy, the enemy just sorta chills and doesn't do much on normal, and on hard, it's a full on badnik. However, I'll test how it all works later on. (I get the feeling that the programming will need to be slightly more complicated than a normal badnik.

• Like 1

Alrighty, now I need to work on some tiles. (I trashed the originals due to being very rough and unpleasant to look at.)

I have four sets of sand tiles for the start of the zone that takes place on the beach.

1.)sH2KiBo.png

This is the original palette that the tiles used in the very first version of Epsilon.

2.)s8rjWjT.png

This is a pinkish palette from Angel Island's intro.

3.)9KZkrkb.png

A slightly yellower tint (I think this is from the S3 Desert Palace tileset.)

4.)YOtxsOv.png

A slightly browner tint. (I'm pretty sure this also came from Desert Palace, but from the background instead of the tileset.)

Which one do you think looks better? Keep in mind that this beach section is relatively short, and you won't be seeing the tiles most of the time.

EDIT:

XbjyRPp.png

Got the bee working in the engine, but the platform can't be used when it's killed. I'll work on making a platform that falls and can be stood on later.

Edited by Betaman
  • Like 2

I love those buildings in the back betaman.

Ah yes, you're seeing the WIP tiles for one of the three zones I have planned for the demo. I like them too, but I want to expand them to give a little more variety to what you see. Currently those are pretty much what all the buildings look like.

Hello everyone, presenting a video of my S3&K hack. I am progressing with this hack is already a few months.

C&C welcome.

Edit: Have a problem if instead of showing a fangame I shows a ROM hack?
  Edited by NeoFusionBox
  • Like 2

Hello everyone, presenting a video of my S3&K hack. I am progressing with this hack is already a few months.

C&C welcome.

Edit: Have a problem if instead of showing a fangame I shows a ROM hack?

Really like your layouts (I checked your YT account). Also I'm glad that you altered but didn't fuck up palettes of the levels. S3 hacks tend to do that a lot.

If you will ever need a beta tester please call me!