A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Boom Video Game (Wii U/3DS)

Stritix

Apparently, there isn't a single review site that has actually reviewed the game.

Yeah it's official, this game is a shitty hackjob. Sega refused to send review copies, which can only really mean they are banking on whatever early sales they can acquire before the media burns it to the ground.

I am so done with Sega. They've surpassed even Capcom in levels of fuckassery when it comes to exploitation.  

Edited by Serephim

Ouch! that hurts but sadly it's true, sega has this habillity now to do as much shit as they want, yes SA and SA2 had they flaws and yes the redesign wars at those years and...sonic heroes, but you know what? Sonic Heroes looks way better and plays even better than Sonic Boom (and that's low)

I dunno if they surpassed Capcom, i mean they still "care" about their mascot and "try" to give him the best they "can", not like Crapcom that let megaman die and didnt even move a finger to do something about it, but i dont think its only Sega and Capcom that does this shit with their icon games, i mean there are plenty "japanese" and of course norteamerican teams that simply needs to stop doing shitty games and at least try to make ONE good game i mean put really effort into it not just pretty graphics and trying to do a clone of X game, but guys BRB its a noobie at this of course this will gonna to happend, the same as Ninja Theory with DmC what can we expect from a team that has people that worked on Jax and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank and the infamous SONIC XTREME man  i think if this game is this way imagine how could sucked Sonic Xtreme if were released back then, i mean i think sega cancelled that game for a good reason not just for being a dick.

Speaking of dick, i absolutely HATE how they made Shadow and Metal Sonic, i mean Metal its only there to be like Grounder or Scratch i mean yeah he always followed orders from eggman, but i think he went in some point berzerk and started to do things for his own "will" but its the only character in the game that i like the re-design, but Shadow...oohhhh that's where the shit really hitted the fan man, instead of the anti-hero he is an asshole, instead of being "mysterious" he just go being the bully of the game, i mean he WAS kinda of a dick sometimes but he was more "i care less for what you have to do, but in the end i need your help" than "Oh sonic you are stupid, your friends are stupid, you are weak and im awesome and cool because i dont have friends and im in eternal angsty with the world that's why im way more powerfull" if that's how BRB or this...writter from My Little Pony sees "anti-heroes" wow, seriously that's lame.

But that's not the only thing i hate from those two, the thing i hate the most it's they put metal and shadow RIGHT IN THE BEGINING OF THE FREAKING GAME, i mean in SA2 you had shadow right in the begining but because the story needed him in the begining because he is one of the main characters in the story, but here is like "Hi im shadow i dunno why im here but hey im hereeee!!!" such an a-hole move man.

I dunno i like to play more sonic fan games lately than this piece of shit, the bad thing is i can return it because i already use it, ohh well this is going to be with the other games that could be great but ended up sucking so hard AKA Sonic 06 replica's bookshelf next to Sonic 06, Sonic Lost World, Black Knight, Secret Rings and other shitty ones that i dont want to mention.

The difference between Capcom and Sega is that Capcom just makes dumbass decisions in spite of their fans. They don't actively attempt to make sure their games are as cookie cutter trash as possible, Breath of Fire 6 being a notable exception to this. Sega though, they just don't care about anything. Sonic is the only game they pretend to care about, everything else is just bad. Every IP they've decided to revive has been an abysmal cash grab, just go down the list. Only notable exception being Phantasy Star, which is only succeeding now because it has become a series exclusively marketed towards extreme otaku culture and cash shop exploits. And speaking of, lets not even begin to talk about how badly they treat the west. There are Japanese companies far more niche than sega that show more respect to its foreign fanbase.

Big Red Button is a group composed of ex-Naughty Dog employees, and I guess it's now obvious why. What a terrible first impression. 

Edited by Serephim

Haha fun fact, only one of the people from BRB is actually from naughty dog. The rest are from non-noteworthy game companies, including developers from Battle for Bikini Bottom. Yeah... I like to believe this is Big red Button doing this, considering sega themselves are not in charge of it, but i cant say for sure yet.

I mean, Ninja Theory for DmC at least made sense. Tecmo for Hyrule Warriors, nobody cares about dynasty warriors but at least you know the quality outcome.

Sega's decisions rarely make much sense. They shit on Platinum with bayonetta 2, they single-handedly destroy Valkyria Chronicles so efficiently it almost seemed intentional. And now this. It almost seems like they only did it because other big Japanese companies are doing it. Or because the SB TV series is just another way to bank off Sonic with little work from themselves.

they single-handedly destroy Valkyria Chronicles so efficiently it almost seemed intentional.

Valkyria Chronicles just got a re-release on Steam that has sold better than expectations in the last 24 hours or so.

Just, you know, sayin'.

But yeah, this game sucks. At best, it's a crazy boring platformer from the PS2 era, at worst, it's the best glitch fest since Sonic 06.

they single-handedly destroy Valkyria Chronicles so efficiently it almost seemed intentional.

Valkyria Chronicles just got a re-release on Steam that has sold better than expectations in the last 24 hours or so.

Just, you know, sayin'.

But yeah, this game sucks. At best, it's a crazy boring platformer from the PS2 era, at worst, it's the best glitch fest since Sonic 06.

Hell even DmC seems a good choice than Sonic Boom, at least NT TRIED to make it more Devil May Cry-ish but failed with some of the stuff, and the TV series man i mean everybody loves for no aparent reason, but man is like i said back at the topic of Sonic Boom TV its lifeless at some points, way too rushed (seems that the fault here are the 11 mins of duration that has per ep) and its kinda annoying that all has to be a joke, everytime they talk its like seeing a bad copy of Friends o two and a half man, jokes jokes jokes jokes jokes AHHHHHGGGG!!!! and so little action man, it makes Sonic X a good thing, at least it has more action than Sonic Boom, heck even Sonic Underground has better plot and action.

I dont care if they did for the money, i dont care if they did for the audience, i dont even care if the did it for fashion, what im more pissed off is that they had to do a half assed game on propose this time for the audience that doesnt know sonic and want to play it, when i dunno just get the fuck used to the games that already are damnit!! is like sega thinks the kids are retarded or stupid (which in some cases yeah they are) ohhh and the new fagboys that started with sonic lost world they are simply the cherry on top of the shit-cake

I haven't got much to say since I haven't seen a whole episode nor played any of the games.

I tend to avoid posts like these, but I feel it bears a need for emphasis:  Holy shit, they really fucked up Shadow.  Saying Sonic is weak because of his loyalty to his pathetic friends?  This is the exact opposite of Shadow's character.

Shadow's entire personality has always been based around his loyalty and compassion towards his friends.  The only time he was ever a villain was after he had lost his best friend and his life's purpose of saving humanity.  He couldn't accept Maria's death, and only saw the dark side in humanity.  But eventually he did come to terms with it, and did what Maria would have wanted.  In the process he developed a strong respect for Sonic, illustrated in a line so often missed by players.  In the Finalhazard battle, Shadow says he believes Sonic may be the true ultimate life form.  And from then on, even if he was hesitant to become too attached, he still made good friends with the whole crew.  Shadow has always relied on his friends for strength.

And in Boom he's just an asshole.

For the past few games I've avoided saying this out of courtesy and a genuine respect for how difficult creative work really is, but I can't avoid it any longer.  From what I've seen thusfar, the current writing team sucks big time.

• Like 2

Just, you know, sayin'.

It has always sold "better than expectations"...the only ones with low expectations for the Valkyria Chronicles series was Sega themselves. 

Holy shit, they really fucked up Shadow.

Shadow has been a terrible character in every single installment after SA2. He lost all his character development and was situated as a moody rival to sonic for literally no reason. Weren't they like best buddies towards the end of the game? Didn't he lose all reason to hate anyone towards the end? Oh he's not dead, give him amnesia, guess not!

Then they gave him guns and vehicles and made him an alien, because why not. 

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

B7Z88yY.gif

I... I can't believe this. How did no one notice this while beta testing? How do you break a game this badly? HOW!?

That's.....i...i dont have words for that, only that Sonic GDK its even more stable an glitch free than this and almost use se same kind of engine i guess? even if dont Cry Engine its NOT the best for this kind of games, cheap engines tend to a glitch fest, no wonder why sega didnt give reviewers copies of the game, this could (and in fact its) destroy the Sonic franchise altogether (like anybody now cares about that) its an alternate universe so i HOPE that the canon is still intact and for the next game (if there is a chance for that) i hope they use the unleashed/generations formula even colors seems nice against this....thing called game.

BTW who puts character models in the map where the cinematics goes? because that looks lazy as hell i thought that the characters where the same for the cutscenes as for the player, not that characters for the cutscenes/dialogs and then the playable character, that doesnt look good.

• Like 2

It has always sold "better than expectations"...the only ones with low expectations for the Valkyria Chronicles series was Sega themselves. 

Shadow has been a terrible character in every single installment after SA2. He lost all his character development and was situated as a moody rival to sonic for literally no reason. Weren't they like best buddies towards the end of the game? Didn't he lose all reason to hate anyone towards the end? Oh he's not dead, give him amnesia, guess not!

Then they gave him guns and vehicles and made him an alien, because why not. 

Eh, kind of.  The bit about whether or not he was real or fake was interesting, given that fans were so split on his return.  His own game did play up the "darker and edgier" thing way too much for certain, and in many paths he does seem like a dick, but in the canon path he's still a nice guy.  Even '06 had him as a consistent ally to Sonic, even if his personality was as flat as all the other characters in the game.

But this.  It's too painful to watch.

Guys, you're having multi paragraph discussions about Shadow the Hedgehog... Have some dignity please.

I feel similarly about Knuckles and Amy, really.  In the early days Knuckles was a pretty chill guy most of the time, possibly somewhat deep, if a bit naive and easy to anger in the right situation.  Riders was the first instance that he was portrayed as a dumb brute, and it's kind of gone downhill from there.  Not... terribly in all cases, but it's there.

Amy started as an adventurous kid who looked up to Sonic because she also wanted to go on adventures.  Her backstory is all about overcoming her own timidness.  Any actual flirting she did with Sonic was really just kind of a game to ease her own tension.  It was in Heroes and onward that she was portrayed as annoying and obsessive.  I'm not entirely sure but I've heard she's gotten a bit better lately.

Edited by Nemox

Guys, you're having multi paragraph discussions about Shadow the Hedgehog... Have some dignity please.

look where we are, there is no dignity left to be had

only a fine mixture of crushed dreams and salt 

In the early days Knuckles was a pretty chill guy most of the time, possibly somewhat deep -

Her backstory is all about overcoming her own timidness.  Any actual flirting she did with Sonic was really just kind of a ga-

sonic characters have never had depth. Unless you're Gamma, or Tails. Gay love is A-OK.

Also, Big the Cat. Gay interracial love

That's.....i...i dont have words for that, only that Sonic GDK its even more stable an glitch free than this and almost use se same kind of engine i guess? even if dont Cry Engine its NOT the best for this kind of games, cheap engines tend to a glitch fest, no wonder why sega didnt give reviewers copies of the game, this could (and in fact its) destroy the Sonic franchise altogether (like anybody now cares about that) its an alternate universe so i HOPE that the canon is still intact and for the next game (if there is a chance for that) i hope they use the unleashed/generations formula even colors seems nice against this....thing called game.

BTW who puts character models in the map where the cinematics goes? because that looks lazy as hell i thought that the characters where the same for the cutscenes as for the player, not that characters for the cutscenes/dialogs and then the playable character, that doesnt look good.

I don't think one can call the cry engine "cheap"

Cinematics almost always use different models from the player ones. Except even the most low-budget shovelware horseshit of titles never allow you to see through the camera magic

And this won't kill the sonic franchise if it survived Sonic 06, trust me. When sega starts struggling they can just save that stock-piled Sonic 3 mobile release they've been saving or something

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

sonic characters have never had depth. Unless you're Gamma, or Tails. Gay love is A-OK.

Also, Big the Cat. Gay interracial love

Well, I meant more depth as in his own philosophical depth and junk.  Protecting the powers of order and chaos all alone gives one quite a bit of free time to think about things.  Perhaps his comic incarnation had some influence on how I always viewed him, but even in SA1&2 he seemed at least average intelligence.

Shadow did start with quite a fair bit of depth in character I think (at least as much as Gamma), which is why I'm so dissatisfied with how they've handled him.

They have character attributes, but i wouldn't describe their depth past shallow. That's not really a bad thing though. Mario gets by just fine with all of its characters being retarded. But Sega trying to pretend like their writers can give deep emotional meaning to these storylines has done irreparable damage at this point.

Trying to shake sonic back into early morning cartoon slapstick isn't much better, because they (and nobody they hire, apparently) can do funny, either.

Edit:

i'm getting an embarrassing amount of pleasure out of the first wave of reviews of this game. I think something is wrong with me.

Ila how bad is it rly

Edited by Serephim

Yeah, I was referring to Knuckles' character attributes rather than any narrative surrounding him.  Indeed, there's been very few instances of actual depth in the series, and it isn't necessary to make a good Sonic game.  But if they're going to do characterization I'd at least like them to get it within the ballpark.

Edited by Nemox

putting aside if they have deep storylines or not, or if sega is even trying to do something "decent" the only thing i care for the characters are their abilities and how they use it to their favor, like sonic's speed, knuckles glide/climb/dig/melee abilities, Amy's.....hammer....pretty much that with amy, Tails' fly, Shadow whatever-the-hell-he-does-Control etc.

I dont really care for storylines of it this is a good character because he knows everything and he was the first being that existed and is almost god (no sonic.exe jokes please) or because its a dick because why not, or if is a funny guy because makes retarded quotes or jokes whatever, when you mess with the way the characters plays for me changes the core of the god damn game, and people sometimes tend to forget that it that fails the entire game isnt what is supposed to be, even if you slap spin off in the cover of the blasted game that isnt enough to justify how sucky it is, i think (or at least is the way i learned with all this gamer years) a game is about new things but not changing too much from what is the core of the game, if is a sonic game yes is about speed of course, also is about exploration and also momentum and platforming, but those things happen naturally, not forcing to do X thing or Y thing, just do the fucking game how is suppoused to be and that's it.

As for the show i will say again its a big meh for me, i dont think its that exciting as some Overhype fans go having an orgasm for that....and the game, i think nothing is better than Sonic SatAM and that's IT.

Beat Rise of Lyric!

Story: Interesting enough, but there were elements that didn't need to be there. I think a prequel would be better than a sequel.

Characterization: A lot better than we'll probably get from any mainstream Sonic game for a while.

Gameplay: I breezed through it. Combat really isn't that tedious, especially if you use the Enerbeam to throw enemies into hazards.

Graphics: They need to patch this department up. Not just the graphics themselves but how things load/render. Some textures looked flat and there's a lot of lag.

Overall: Not a stellar Sonic game but it's not terrible.

More in depth, spoiler thoughts:

While the cliffhanger is intriguing... I really hope they tighten up the story and graphics next game, assuming there is one.

I also hope they do a prequel instead of a sequel first. I'd really like to get some more background about this world; if they essentially have their SEGA canon backstories going for them, what was the point? They knew each other, Shadow, Eggman, Metal, etc... it may as well have been a main title story-wise.

Interested to see exactly what Eggman could get up to with Lyric's Iron-Queen-Ripoff button, either way.

...I just hope Shadow's in for a reason besides fanservice next time.

• Like 1