A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Boom Video Game (Wii U/3DS)

Stritix

thank god a reviewer did a honest review, most of whats in that link its the truth, and he only found 2 good things about that game the sence of scale (i think sonic unleashed did that because Adabat looked freaking huge) and the voice actor of knuckles, well yeah i like the voice of knuckles but how they made knuckles in this game was awful, was so god damn stupid ughh...and yeah the speed sections are worse than 06 i mean they are kinda nice and all but things popping out of nowhere, huge ammount of lag LAAAAGGGGG!!! and its just me of some of the obstacles on the speed sections were kinda cheap, like "ohh look we putz alotz of traaapzzz becuz sped sections lookz awesome and hard" because i wanted to avoid them but damn man, i honestly stop playing the game after the shadow boss fight and instead watched a playthrough, and thank god i did that, i more eager to play Phantom Pain now that this...thing, and come on this can't be for children, i refuse to think that kids that are into games are so retarded and stupid that need this kind of stuff to play, i mean i know kids that plays CoD, freaking CoD heck i know a kid that told me the other time that was expecting to play Advance Warfare and Destiny, and it was like what 10 years old? yeah 10 freaking years old, seriously Sega did you do your research about this "younger audience" that you want so much? or you just want Casual Gamers and Hipsters (no pun intended) to play sonic because "why not?" and the moneyz of course...jeez...a 2/10 score is fair enough and terrible its the best word to describe it hell i dont think terrible could begin to descrive the ammount of shit this pile of camel-poop has, this is a generic bland copycat of Ratchet and clank/Jax and Daxter with sonic all over of it with no reason for ANYTHING that appears in this game (im looking at you shadow) with poorly ps2 era brawling games, i think that sums up for a description of what looks like, now if you guys excuse me i will be outside with my rifle shooting this little shit called Sonic Bawn.

I just want a Colors 2... Why can't they just do that instead?

because that game was pretty boring too. I don't really get why people praised Colors but hated Lost World. I can only assume Colors didn't have enough time to build a newer, more boring engine for 3D play. 

Generations is the closest they've gotten in years to a thoroughly good game. And 98% of it was rehashed. 

• Like 2

In my opinion Colors was also a bore. Pretty cool environments and music but lacking story and gameplay. 

While Boom seems to have cut some things and just was a lacking story- I found it's stuff a lot better (story wise) than anything we had recently.

And the gameplay, in my opinion, wasn't bad, just painfully average to the point where it was lack luster, combined with shortcomings in the dev department (the glitches) made it a lot worse than it is at face value. If I had a Wii U I'd probably enjoy it but it really feels like they went for the bare minimum with everything. Got combat finished, didn't add any extras to it. Got Sonic and Co's moveset out the way, never expanded on them or gave them upgrades (same with combat). 

So yeah. I don't know with this one.

Colors had a lot going for it. Straight forward enjoyable gameplay. It was also incredibly atmospheric with beautiful detailed worlds and well composed music.

Agree with everything but that part. The game certainly had its moments but they were few and far between. It borrowed alot from Mario, but Color's 2D gameplay added nothing to that style of level design. Every world felt like 1 act of gorgeous fun, 5 acts of boring filler.

His 2D physics were awkward, they added a funky double jump instead of just making his physics good, and the only wisps I found interesting were Laser, Drill and Frenzy.

And, unsurprisingly, any wisp that worked in both 2D and 3D was far more interesting in 3D....and the ones that had gameplay elements that would have been much more interesting in 3D (Cube, Spike, Drill) don't appear there.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

I still had more fun with Colors. Gens was good too, but I hated the challenge stage padding. At least Colors had 6 acts per zone, not just one modern act and one classic act.

In my opinion Colors was also a bore. Pretty cool environments and music but lacking story and gameplay.

Not that I care much about story in a Sonic game, but Colors had some good writing, and the concept was interesting enough to drive the story forward (Eggman wants to put the past in the past and make a nice interstellar park... with some surprises down the way). I liked snarky Tails and Eggman's quips in the levels. I found it more interesting than 'This weird Chrono Cross final boss ripoff screwed up the timeline, go back to previous levels of your series to fix it or something.'

Oh, and Colors' final boss was great (no Doomsday shit! FINAL COLOR BLASTER!) and the music really pumped me up once it started the main theme remix. Gens' final boss on the other hand SUCKED. I felt like I was playing Persona 3 with a thousand Fuukas instead of just one.

Please be careful, Mr. Sonic!

That was a homing shot.

Watch it, Sonic!

That shot will track you.

Be careful, Sonic!

It's a warping arm---GAH SHUT UP.

But yeah, that boss was a huge chore. And it was just another Doomsday Zone recycle. Gens hooked me right out at the start, but by the end I felt drained.

Back to Boom... I can't say much at this point. Even the music is lackluster... at least 06 had a decent soundtrack. If I'm going to get a Sonic game for the Wii U when I get one, it'll probably be Lost World. At least the update patch kinda helps.

• Like 1

I still had more fun with Colors. Gens was good too, but I hated the challenge stage padding. At least Colors had 6 acts per zone, not just one modern act and one classic act.

Not that I care much about story in a Sonic game, but Colors had some good writing, and the concept was interesting enough to drive the story forward (Eggman wants to put the past in the past and make a nice interstellar park... with some surprises down the way). I liked snarky Tails and Eggman's quips in the levels. I found it more interesting than 'This weird Chrono Cross final boss ripoff screwed up the timeline, go back to previous levels of your series to fix it or something.'

Color's story was only digestible because it didn't try to be a story, it was just more like a convenient way to justify sonic being in ridiculous concepts for stages, something classic sonic never really had to bother with. It never got in the way of things to do (beat every story, find all medals, chaos emeralds, ect ect) and for the most part was entirely skippable.  

And while we're at it, i really wish Sega would stop treating Super Sonic like it's something special. Super Sonic hasn't been much fun to use since Sonic 2, the only game where transforming into him didn't remove abilities from you. 50 rings might as well be 5 in modern games, and Sonic goes stupid fast regardless, so I give Generations huge credit for finally making the transformation feel powerful in use and maintenance, and also not replacing the music with some dreadful tune (which, again, hasn't been not annoying since Sonic 2.)

Guys, I give up. I can't play any more of this wreck.

Imagine if you took the exploration and characters from Jan & Daxter, the corridors of Crash Bandicoot, and the combat and platforming from Sly Cooper. You'd get a pretty decent game, unless of course said game was developed by a bunch of rank amateurs that make the most miserable leches on Steam Early Access look competent. Then you'd get Sonic Boom.

The game feels like you're never in control, like if you have a TV with a really bad refresh rate so every action feels 3 seconds behind. Combat is clunky and delayed, the running segments are serviceable at best, and the sound design hasn't been this atrocious since Sonic Chronicles. (The sound of running on water sounds like a dog lapping up water)

Characterization is okay, although Knuckles being portrayed as an idiot (and subsequently being ridiculed for it) is borderline offensive. Amy is thankfully not as annoying as she could be, although her random cries of "Girl Power" seem like a developers last minute inclusion to make Amy seem equal to the other characters. (I have no issues with female characters trying to show strength. Big Hero 6's Gogo Tamago's "Woman Up" is equally cheesy, but at least she backs it up by being incredibly competent compared to the rest of her peers.) Tails and Sonic haven't changed much.

But really though, this games biggest drain is just how poorly it runs. Jumping is janky and awkward, like someone just put in a set Z position to -20 whenever B is pressed. The framerate chugs, and the sound is frequently skipping before and after cutscenes. None of this can be blamed on the Wii U either, I've seen much more graphically intense games such as Hyrule Warriors and Super Mario 3D World run without issue.

I have many more complaints, but it's pointless to keep going on. Someone out there (Sonic Stadium members, TSSZ's commenters) will defend this game as some kind of misunderstood work of art. More power to them. However I just see it as just a bad game made by a 3rd rate studio.

Look, i'm beginning to believe that Sonic really is a series that should just disappear. It refuses to make any progress, and after decades of sequels and fuckups, they are still incapable of just making a consistently good experience without some kind of thick crack that crumbles the whole thing. Sega can't even hand it over to a western studio that doesn't manage to fuck it up worse. They are literally incapable of producing a good sonic game. They had the opportunity to hand it off to someone else and even managed to royally screw that up.

I simply cannot believe one company can fuck something up so badly, so consistently, without it somehow being on purpose. Was this game just given off to the lowest bidder? Does Sega not care when a game they're scheduled to release is falling to pieces? Are they not paying their developers, or maybe just not talking to them? How do these round table meetings go when every time they release a game, the gaming media rips it to pieces?

Even if this game was 100% BRB's fault, i'm still blaming Sega for this. You had to have seen this coming, and even if you didn't, this shitball of a game still got released in this condition, so you did nothing to prevent it or intervene, and yet another terrible game with your name on it is dumped on your fans.

Wasnt this a TV series in the first place and the game is just a way to promote it? then that's why sega didnt care if the game was good or not, if the TV show is good enough then screw the game, that was sega's main goal the money they could get with toys and the tv series, not the game.

I think they knew it was going to suck ass, but if the tv show is a success then its fine by them. The same thing was with NT with DmC, Naugthy Dog and "Mind over Mutant" ughh, Capcom with all those shitty megaman games and inafune with "Mighty Nº9" you see them and they ARE shitty and you wonder why this games see the light of day as horrible as they are, its because lack of inspiration? because they aren't creative enough? lack of tech? or just trying to get as money as they can from stupid fans? i think its more the last one than the others.

Also i dunno with Hyrule Warriors, well yeah its a beautiful game with nice graphics, its a Warriors type of game, and Koei well i dont have a nice experience with them since they are releasing the same crap over and over again with "new charcters with new storys and shit" and its kinda annoying and repetitive, trust me if you have played Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors THEY ARE THE SAME SHIT OVER AND OVER, so i dunno if its the third party's fault i think the blame its this new fans and their support to this kind of shit, because they hate when us go and say "This game looks terrible and doesnt have anything to do with sonic" but they like to play and live in shit anyway.

• Like 1

The decision to give DmC to Ninja Theory was a very wise choice, I don't know of any western action game developer that would have been a better suited other than maybe Santa Monica. I understand Nintendo's decision to make Fanservice Warriors, if murdering hordes of retards strikes your fancy. The problem is that Sega really just doesnt care. Not to mention, they treat their western fans like complete horseshit, so im not really surprised at the amount of indifference to the quality of this game.

They need to just give Sonic to Dimps with a decent budget, and get the fuck out of the way. 

Edited by Serephim