A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Boom Video Game (Wii U/3DS)

Stritix

I think this is mostly a Sonic Team problem though - other long running franchises have gotten away with radical changes with wide acceptance of it. I mean the Mega Man franchise has so many different iterations and designs and styles, but all of them have been done with a lot of consistency and care which ends up pleasing most fans. I mean granted the core of the gameplay generally doesn't change much aside from Battle Network etc, but the style shift into Zero back when it happened was huge! They took a really bulky character design and slimmed it down with a much more modern anime aesthetic going on, but still somehow keeping it feeling rather gritty and different in tone from the rest of the series up until that point. It's a highly regarded series though and the redesign is loved by a lot of people. Even before that too they took a cutesy franchise and then turned it into Mega Man X which was this super dark game in comparison yet X is one of the best games in the series. Battle Network even has a loyal fanbase and it's drastically different from the rest of the series as well and even redesigned a huge chunk of the old robot masters. Let's not forget the Legends series too which again is a huge switch up and has a cult following basically. I'm sure there were people who really hated the different changes but at least you knew at the time that if you were getting one of those games it was generally going to be really good.

I think when it comes to Sonic you are right that SEGA doesn't really know what they are doing and always seem to half ass it and that is the problem. It does create a sense of distrust, I know for myself personally after Lost World and now seeing this game I'm kinda falling into a state of heavy skepticism. They should have learned to take a page from Capcom's old mentality with Mega Man and continue to innovate/improve upon the core formula each time around. It's a series that despite a billion fucking entries has spinoffs out the wazoo that mostly all work and I hate to bring this up but Mario is the same way (even if I personally don't care for that franchise much). Granted I liked Unleashed, I liked Generations, but nothing in the series has really given me that same feeling as when I played the original games. What I am at least hoping for with Boom is it's just something they're releasing to buy Sonic Team actual time to really re-evaluate what they are doing and release something super polished and fun. I'd say 'do it right' but I have no idea what 'right' is for this franchise anymore other than just not half-assing the damn game haha.

RINGS! NOMNOMNOM

I can see this getting incredibly annoying very quick. It'd better have a sound config menu with individual voice control.

Boss talk isn't so bad, though. I liked Eggman and his refurbished missiles. Colors nailed it with the Eggman quotes around the levels.

Okay I'm done with this game. After seeing that footage I am done and probably gonna stop posting in this topic because holy cow that looks awful. The writing/quips are incredibly painful to listen to and the game looks super janky. I'm inclined to say this looks worse/on par with 06 in my opinion that's how much I hate this haha.

"Hey, there are things inside these things!"

Umm...what?

*Random Grunting*

Uh-hum...

"Whomp-whaaa"

Kinda how I see the writing here...

Ok...besides the boss fights, which look lame as hell, the gameplay doesn't look uber terrible. Those quips, however, have to be the most annoying thing I've ever heard in a sonic game. I hope there will be a way to turn that off.

After watching this, my mind has changed a bit.

I actually like it. I might get the game now. It honestly looks pretty promising. I watched the video with the mindset I had as a little kid: SHIZ'zs AWESOME.

Seriously, I'm not that excited, and I most likely won't get it, but this is PERFECT for the target audience, and that's what they're going for. They're not aiming towards the core fanbase in the slightest. This is 100% for kids. The show is for kids, this is the game that goes with the show.

I could go on, but I feel enough has been said.

I'm inclined to say this looks worse/on par with 06 in my opinion that's how much I hate this haha.

You're cuh-rah-seh my man.

I'm actually quite looking forward to it, stop being so negative, sheesh, lol.

06 was bad for a lot of reasons, unless Boom has tons of game breaking glitches, awful controls, shit writing (Boom is aimed at kids, not you, keep that in mind), and terrible physics, I doubt it'll be as bad or on par with 06.

Also guys, it's a spin-off not a new direction for ALL Sonic games, just sayin'

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 1

I think this is mostly a Sonic Team problem though - other long running franchises have gotten away with radical changes with wide acceptance of it. I mean the Mega Man franchise has so many different iterations and designs and styles, but all of them have been done with a lot of consistency and care which ends up pleasing most fans. 

Yeah, i personally remember fuming at those Megaman Zero changes. But the thing about Megaman's radical changes though, is that Megaman Zero was fucking awesome. Cutsey megaman to Megaman X was awesomeI also remember fuming at the graphical changes to Wind Waker as well, the first Zelda off N64. (especially after that E3 tech demo.) I hated that game all the way until it was released. But Wind Waker? Metroid Prime? RE4? All awesome. 

Sega though? They are just a half-assed game company now. Their IPs seem like little more to them than cows to milk when they're able to, sort of like Capcom. Actually exactly like capcom. Sonic is the one they give the most effort to because it's still profitable in the west, like Street Fighter. But it's more obvious with a franchise like Phantasy Star. I'm sure if they could do to Sonic what they did to PS, they would in a heartbeat...and they already tried with that insultingly half-assed excuse for a Sonic 4. 

As for doing sonic "right"...honestly I wouldn't even know either. I think the clostest thing to "right" sonic has gotten lately has been Unleashed's formula, and that's only because it was an original idea and direction for the franchise for a change. 

Enjoy Team Sonic's quips in all their glory. Or cringe at the constant dialogue. Your call.

I hope they dont throw that audio infront of your ears everytime one of those assholes speak, which is every 4 seconds apparently. I thought Sonic06 was bad, but this is beyond obnoxious.

Eggman continues to be the only sonic character who's voice is capable of putting a smile on my face.

Edited by Serephim

Eggman continues to be the only sonic character who's voice is capable of putting a smile on my face.

Mike Pollock will do that to you, Man has a voice that could melt butter. And yes, I am in fact referring to his Eggman voice.

Edited by ila
  • Like 1

Sheesh. I didn't think the negativity for this game would spread so far and wide. YouTube seems to be the place where most positive thoughts are held (positivity isn't a word?!)

Not saying everything should be super cheery and happy because I know people are entitled to their opinions but everything seems so down and bad. Most criticism is also entangled with a bunch of (not completely serious here) "0/10 not good" "this looks horrible" "game looks clunky." But maybe it's just because of how open-minded I am (not saying you all aren't) but seeing this I don't see: Clunky, Horrible, or Complete Un-interest unless this isn't your type of genre. But as an overall game?... I don't see it being flat out bad. The game looks pretty solid, I know there was some reported glitchy-ness by GameXplain but it was stated to be an early alpha. Also the base game seems to be pretty Good to me, and okay from a design/execution stand-point. This wasn't meant to be a spin-off of normal Sonic but a spin-off that would stand different from the "normal" Sonic game (which you all probably know) I'll get to my opinions on it but it doesn't seem you're giving it an entire chance, but more or less like half a chance (by you're I don't mean exactly all you on this forum but the very negative nancys anywhere)

I personally like all the in-game quips but not how it drowns out the music. The line with Things in Things is entertaining to me, even though I don't like Knuckles being a dumb, he doesn't seem to bad. To me, it doesn't feel like he's flat out being stupid like not being amazed by the fact that there is things but more like realizing/pointing it out? I like the combat so far and I believe/hope/think/whatever that there will probably be upgrades to combos and speed and stuff. In one screen there was an open chest near Knuckles suggesting that maybe like other action/adventure/rpg games there are chest that you can open for items and abilities. I like the designs In-Game and in the T.V. show not the ones that were first revealed. They bring new life into the, shall I say, "tired" designs. Sonic expresses himself more and (in the T.V. show at least) Has a forward AND side mouth : o. I personally think that's what Sonic has been missing for awhile. Because the side mouth, as others have said, looks sorta samey when it comes to actually expressing himself. Uhm, I don't what else to say now but sooner or later I'll have some more to say.

(And before someone assumes I'm like 5 because I enjoyed the humor)

• Like 1

Well, the writing in both those e3 trailers did have me laughing. As for the gameplay, I'm sorta alright with the gameplay direction it as I didn't really expect this to play like any other Sonic game. Just hoping that the combat has depth to it though and that they at least increase the characters base movement speed. At least increase their movement speed to the run speed of Lost World. Not too slow and Not too fast.

As for the older footage, the voice work and writing was over the place. Hopefully they'll stay consistent like from what I saw in the newer trailers.

As for the TV show, that actually looks like a fun show to watch.

• Like 2

Nailed the facial expressions. Combat still looks clunky.

I wish this game came a few years ago when Heroes was fresh, because I think it's style of platforming would have been oh-so perfect for this type of gameplay. The running sections just look way too linear and boring. It's like I can feel the rails while watching the video, and this is a completely new engine. 

I just dont see whats so wrong with platforming and speed sections using the same engine...do people really enjoy going fast on rails and sidestepping rocks these days? 

The show seems decent enough, i'm going to give it a shot. Not like it's going to cost me money or anything.

• Like 1

That new TV trailer is great and makes me want ham. I'll settle for good ham. I hope they announce an air date soon.

Mike Pollock will do that to you, Man has a voice that could melt butter. And yes, I am in fact referring to his Eggman voice.

For real. I got to spend some time with him last month and there was a point where he was signing things for kids, and every time he got into character it was a delight, I was probably grinning just as hard as the kids were. Seeing the look on their faces was something else, he's a really great guy.

• Like 1

While I probably won't be picking up a Wii U anytime soon, Boom actually doesn't look that bad. The combat is kind of cool and looks pretty refreshing actually. Just wish Sonic was a bit faster and there were more slopes instead of the context specific ramps... I guess there's the speed segments but they kind of give me Secret Rings/06 mach speed vibes.

• Like 2

Anyone else here looking forward to it's story?

I really like what we've seen so far. It really looks appealing and shows some character that I think Sonic Team have been failing on for awhile. It's not that Sonic Team is bad at it but they're not good either, in my eyes. I just feel it's a refresher for characters to be more... alive? 

Anyone else here looking forward to it's story?

I really like what we've seen so far. It really looks appealing and shows some character that I think Sonic Team have been failing on for awhile. It's not that Sonic Team is bad at it but they're not good either, in my eyes. I just feel it's a refresher for characters to be more... alive? 

So far I'm more interested in the plot than any other aspect of the game, specifically Rise of Lyric. Having an animal enhanced by technology and delights in that fact (and can communicate with Sonic, as opposed to say the Biolizard) butting heads with Sonic, the force of nature, could make for some really engaging dialog. The producer specifically mentioned technological enhancements as one of Lyric's traits so I really hope they come through with that. 

More than anything if the plot takes itself seriously I hope the game is structured akin to SA2, where the campaign felt like a story-driven journey as opposed to a bunch of platforming stages with a silly cutscene after each one. Not bashing the Colors approach, but rather the Lost World approach. A kidnapped Tails and a forced alliance between Sonic and Eggman are concepts that could have been really interesting but ultimately felt pointless and under-utilized, respectively. Fingers crossed for Boom!

• Like 2