A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Boom Video Game (Wii U/3DS)

Stritix

Most of the negativity seems to be due to the abundance of combat and people not realizing that this isn't actually a platformer or part of the main series. I think if people viewed this game as the next Sonic Battle or Sonic the Fighters and compared it to other action-adventure games like Batman or Spider-Man (or even LEGO or Skylanders) instead of comparing it to something like Generations or Lost World, it would help them to understand some of the concepts a bit better.

Sonic Boom as a branch is probably something that should have happened a long time ago, maybe around the time of Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors. See, Sonic Team has a bit of a problem. We all want different things, but one Sonic game can never cover all of those things, because we are so different. It's a good problem in that it makes for a lot of interesting ideas and conversations, but a bad problem when there is only one team making one type of game for everybody.

For the past few years, Sonic Team has been moving away from large scale games such as the Sonic Adventures and Sonic Unleashed and has gone for a much simpler/"safer" approach. This is fine if you enjoy short and simple games, not so much if you want a fuller and more fleshed-out experience. Sonic Boom looks like the first step back to the Adventure/Unleashed format, which emphasized story elements and different areas being woven together by one central theme, rather than going from a desert level to a candy level to a beach level with no real explanation.

SEGA knew this would not sit well with everyone. They knew some people would not want another story-driven Sonic game with darker environments and emphasis on combat, so they (finally) decided to split it off into its own branch. What this means is we can finally get the best of both worlds, instead of just settling for one.

I am personally looking forward to this. The speed sections aren't daytime Unleashed, but they still look fun. The adventure/combat levels look to have a good amount of depth to them and seem to offer a lot of multiple routes for each character. The combat actually looks very engaging to me, but hopefully they'll throw in a few more moves so that it's not just the same two or three combos every time. And the jokes are actually funny, for once. It looks like the game I've been waiting for since Unleashed. I only wish it wasn't Nintendo-exclusive so that more people could enjoy it.

Edited by Chex
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Most of the negativity seems to be due to the abundance of combat and people not realizing that this isn't actually a platformer or part of the main series. I think if people viewed this game as the next Sonic Battle or Sonic the Fighters and compared it to other action-adventure games like Batman or Spider-Man (or even LEGO or Skylanders) instead of comparing it to something like Generations or Lost World, it would help them to understand some of the concepts a bit better.

sonic team had a great template for the whole "teamplay" concept down when they made Sonic Heroes. They just had to polish it a bit more. Had combat, platforming, speed, gimmicks, bosses. 

Ocourse im one of the few people around here with any respect for heroes. But SB's "sonic" sections look worse in comparison, and its combat looks bogged down with very stiff animations.

And the talking...god the talking in this game. The dialog does this thing where everyone feels like they're trying to be funny and sarcastic about every scripted action in the game. So everyone just sounds obnoxious. 

Edited by Serephim

• 3 weeks later...

Shadow Revealed + Metal Sonic Shown Again

Sonic-Boom-Shadow-And-Metal-Sonic-524x31

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

"It's like I said before, I'm the ultimate life form."

It looks like they just went into Metals old model, stretched his legs out and called it a day.

I really wanted to like this game but the more I see and hear about it the more I hate it, and I think the developers know that people aren't liking what's there as they've shown almost no game play in the new trailer and the speed segments look like "press the button at this point, good now do it again" over and over again.

I read that the 3DS demos were good so I'll just stick to that I guess.

Also it's really bothering me that people are using the fact that this isn't a main series title as an excuse for poor game play.

Also it's really bothering me that people are using the fact that this isn't a main series title as an excuse for poor game play.

Well first of all, if you didn't play the game yet, I don't think you're in a position to say that it has poor gameplay. It's different, yes, but this game isn't targeted for the retro audience. You would think people would know this by now.

• Like 1

Well first of all, if you didn't play the game yet, I don't think you're in a position to say that it has poor gameplay. It's different, yes, but this game isn't targeted for the retro audience. You would think people would know this by now.

But I didn't say it's bad because it's different though.

This is exactly what I mean when I said that. I said it had poor game play because of the people I follow saying from their experience with the demos and the game play trailers were boring. I never said it was bad because of how the previous games have been set up, I even said I was interested in the 3DS version because I heard good things about it.

Edited by Renhoek

New trailer, same impressions. 

The most tragic thing about this game is, it almost looks exactly like something Sonic Team would design, only far less polished. The gameplay is still heavily compartmentalized, combat looks clunky, engine can barely hold 30 frames even in the trailers. 

It's like a brand new, fresh sonic game, that has the balls too completely change the visuals of the characters and the world...but still takes all its gameplay cues (what matters) from the current 3D sonic games (which suck).

My expectations are very low right now, i'm predicting a solid 6.5 in average reviews and the usual execution flaws. Let's see i guess.

I'll be honest here. These new designs don't look as bad as I imagined, (I still imagine Knuckles with Hulk's vocab). Thankfully it's still work in progress so I'm gonna save my judgements too.

"I NEED TEH MASTER EMERALD!"

~Knuckles 2014

I prefer Boom Sonic to Modern So---*gets shot in the face*

Well first of all, if you didn't play the game yet, I don't think you're in a position to say that it has p-blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Calm down, the game is W-I-P.

If you prefer more traditional Sonic gameplay, get the 3DS one.