A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Boom Video Game (Wii U/3DS)

Stritix

Okay I'm done with this game. After seeing that footage I am done and probably gonna stop posting in this topic because holy cow that looks awful. The writing/quips are incredibly painful to listen to and the game looks super janky. I'm inclined to say this looks worse/on par with 06 in my opinion that's how much I hate this haha.

You're cuh-rah-seh my man.

I'm actually quite looking forward to it, stop being so negative, sheesh, lol.

06 was bad for a lot of reasons, unless Boom has tons of game breaking glitches, awful controls, shit writing (Boom is aimed at kids, not you, keep that in mind), and terrible physics, I doubt it'll be as bad or on par with 06.

Also guys, it's a spin-off not a new direction for ALL Sonic games, just sayin'

06 was bad for a lot of reasons, unless Boom has tons of game breaking glitches, awful controls, shit writing (Boom is aimed at kids, not you, keep that in mind), and terrible physics, I doubt it'll be as bad or on par with 06.

game breaking glitches, awful controls, shit writing, and terrible physics

I was so wrong, so FUCKING wrong.

Boom has all of those things. It's another example of what NOT to do.

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 4

Hahaha yeah I feel so bad for loving all the bad reviews this thing is getting, means my dislike was highly justified!

I don't really know what I feel about this franchise anymore. All I want is a back to basics approach to game making, keep it simple. Not saying to go "back to the roots" but just play on what used to be the series identity and strengths and start from there. Sonic is a blue hedgehog who goes fast, rolls up into a ball, and bounces on enemies. Maybe the underlying problem is that a game like Sonic is over so quickly and those types of games don't really hold up anymore unless you put it on mobile (which honestly sucks that it has to be that way) so they keep trying to reinvent the wheel to make it longer and it just falls apart. I think the damage to the franchise that has been done by this point too is pretty bad that they haven't any idea how to make Sonic relevant anymore. Granted - Sonic Team was on the right track with a few fairly well received games and then they go ahead and release this garbage... They should just forego any of those types of politics/money issues and just make a really good game. I don't care if its a 7 or 8 zone game with 2 acts and a boss on each one, I've played Sonic 3 and Knuckles hundreds of times by this point and keep going back to it. That's really all I want haha.

All the franchises I used to love are either MIA in today's gaming scene but still pop up once in a while in the form of merch to let you know they still exist (Mega Man), or have gotten really bad. Maybe it just has to be that way though, other forms of media don't tend to last 60+ entries (comic books being an anomaly but that's a whole other can of worms there). I kinda just want brand new icons to start taking over and paving the way. 

Sega really just doesnt care. Not to mention, they treat their western fans like complete horseshit, so im not really surprised at the amount of indifference to the quality of this game.

This, it's really sad...

My Sega Collected Works book came in yesterday at last (gonna make a thread later!) and right at the start it says something along the lines of 'The words in this book represent the voices of Sega in the 80s and 90s, and they do not necessarily reflect the Sega of today'. That's right on the spot, today's Sega is a complete train wreck.

Oh, and the book is absolutely gorgeous, you guys should get a copy too!

It's weird that when Sonic Boom (Or any bad Sonic game) receives so much negativity, Sonic news websites and fans try to find out exactly why did the game turn that bad.

For example: http://www.tssznews.com/2014/11/15/reports-suggest-brb-exodus-ahead-of-sonic-boom-launch/

Apparently BRB had many employees left during Boom's development, such as senior designers, artists, and project managers.

So, my favorite cereal is peanut butter crunch. Thoughts?

I stopped hording sugary cereal years ago. Makes you get fat : /

But i'll gladly eat a box of 6 poptarts in 2 days. How crazy is that?

It's weird that when Sonic Boom (Or any bad Sonic game) receives so much negativity, Sonic news websites and fans try to find out exactly why did the game turn that bad.

For example: http://www.tssznews.com/2014/11/15/reports-suggest-brb-exodus-ahead-of-sonic-boom-launch/

Apparently BRB had many employees left during Boom's development, such as senior designers, artists, and project managers.

same story, different game. Just going to assume Sega is to blame for this too ofc

Edited by Serephim

So, my favorite cereal is peanut butter crunch. Thoughts?

An interesting choice, to say the least. Honestly, in my opinion, Peanut Butter Crunch offers a quite generic taste, that tastes very similar to other peanut butter-type cereals. If for some reason I was in the mood for a peanut butter flavored cereal, I would choose a generic-brand cereal instead of the name brand to save a buck or so. Perhaps it will be on buy-one-get-one, you never know what kind of deals you can get with the off-brand.

Personally, Fruity pebbles offer a much more diverse, unique flavor and texture, especially when compared to Peanut Butter Crunch. As I said before, sometimes I get the off-brand to save money, and rarely, the off-brand tastes better than the actual Post product. Other cereals that offer a better experience than Peanut Butter Crunch include Honey Combs, Honey Bunches of Oats, any Rice Krispies variation, and Corn Pops. However, these state my opinion, and tell nothing of fact. As a side note, I prefer the flavor of Soy Milk in my cereal rather than Milk produced by a Cow. Perhaps this has an affect of my opinion of the cereals I enjoy.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

This, it's really sad...

My Sega Collected Works book came in yesterday at last (gonna make a thread later!) and right at the start it says something along the lines of 'The words in this book represent the voices of Sega in the 80s and 90s, and they do not necessarily reflect the Sega of today'. That's right on the spot, today's Sega is a complete train wreck.

Oh, and the book is absolutely gorgeous, you guys should get a copy too!

Oh yeah, I want that book :o

Everything that could possibly be said about Boom has already been said really. I am basking in the warm glow of all the hate its getting.

Though I definitely feel bad for the team that made it. I mean I can respect the people behind it, but when you make a stinker you can't really view it any other way.

• Like 1

I played it at Eurogamer and predicted this game as being very negatively received. Researched a bit more on the developers and found that outside of the 2 Naughty Dog guys that it was entirely composed of people who developed licensed games like Shrek, Disney Princess' and the poorer versions of Disney Infinity, really poor choice in developer. Would have loved it if Sumo Digital got a chance but alas it was not to be.

It's actually funny that this game is released in between Alien: Isolation, Project Diva f 2nd and the Valkyria Chronicles port (And if you want to include Sports Interactive and Relic, Football Manager and the new Company of Heroes expansion.) from SEGA, talk about a bad apple in the pile.

well back at the bashing topic of sonic boom (i think that how this topic should be named now) so anyway, i read some info from Sonic Stadium and Kotaku that were more problems than "OK" things in the production of the game, like the original Sonic Team being unconfortable with some of the early designs of the characters (Eggman was going to be even more older and skinier this time with some kind of white beard aka Dr Thomas Light style) people dropping off the boom project, and of course all the rushed things that became this garbage/glitch fest.

Yeah i think everything that could possibly be said about it has been said already, its just...its unbelievable that Sega let this happend without even try to stop it before were too late, i mean they did it with Sonic X-Treme back then and possibly X-treme was going to be a good game, but with a  "cash-in" game like Sonic Boom they just shut their mouth and let that happend, that is what piss me off more than the actual design or broken gameplay.

And this things happens more often now with this generation of gaming, its like they dont give a fuck if its a glitch-fest they say "Hey i know its broken and i know it sucks but dont you worry we will fix it with some EXTRA CRAZY PATCHES WOOOOHOOO" its....i think this thing of DLC's and Patches made developers more lazy than usual.

Edited by Gear_The_Hedgehog

I think that the contractual oligations meant they had to release something, rather than nothing at all and I think it comes in two parts. First the exclusivity deal with Nintendo. It's not difficult to say but this deal served neither party well, SEGA had limited sales from both Sonic: Lost World and Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic games and Nintendo didn't quite get the sort of quality SEGA had released recently in Sonic Colours and Generations. It probably makes sense that they may not have investment/commitment in any of the three Sonic titles as much as they normally would have simply because what would be the point (I'm talking from a company's viewpoint, not as a fan here.) as the titles seemed doomed to fail and Nintendo paid for the development costs.

The second and I think more essential is that it definitely seems like the show was the main focus and the game was an after thought to help boost the sales of licensed materials. Selling merchandise rights is a major money maker these days and I assume being able to show toy makers that not only are they producing a major television series but a video game too.

So it wouldn't be a simple case of cancelling it and/or even delaying it, they probably wanted the next mainline Sonic game to be available on all consoles and they needed the game out around the time of the show to give more exposure to the Sonic Boom brand. Of course I'm not entirely confident in the next mainline Sonic regardless unless Nagoshi/upper management manages to rein in Iizuka/Sonic Team like they have been doing for the past four titles. I worry with Sonic Boom in existence they are given permission to do whatever they want with the series.

Edited by Aki-at

You asked- and you will indeed receive! 

Not really, I'm tired of talking about Boom and would rather find out more of the behind the scenes development, like Team Members leaving, CryEngine, and the lay-offs, ect.

But I will indeed defend Boom... Well just cause I feel like it.

Okay so, Boom, unlike 06 is on a more "stable" level. The gameplay isn't broken by any means. What I mean by that is, the base gameplay works. While glitches are bound and plentiful, on a normal playthrough you probably won't run into any of them. Emphasis on probably. The gameplay itself is redeemable but they did a lot wrong which is understandable to dislike. I personally wish they did more with the whole different character stuff. Like if they focused more on the platforming aspect besides the puzzles, and actually used the character abilities to venture to actual different routes but meh. If this is genre you like one playthrough will probably be enjoyable to you. And when not looking at the "oh it's not like normal sonic" the core design isn't bad at all just very boringly executed. 

I don't know- imo.