A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

@Kirs: Woah, you've been getting work done. The new combat system is a neat idea, but I agree that the interface is going to require tweaking before the mechanic will work well. Thats what testing is for I guess.

So I've been working furiously on my final project since well... theres really only a week and a half left of school so I've been in panic mode trying to get everything done.

I've been messing with the color pallets again. I'm going for a red/yellow/blue this time since the magenta/yellow/cyan one just kinda hurt my eyes after a while no matter how much I tweaked it. Been making the models more economical on performance as well. The crates are almost entirely bump map right now which helps a LOT when rendering them all. They don't look that great right now cause the specular maps are kinda shit but I think this is a good direction to go in. I've also been working on iconic scene ideas, this is one of them:

p9x7.png

thoughts?

I'm also thinking that given the fact that this is in UDK and I've pretty much made all of the assets I need, I could make this into a legit playable sonic level in time for SAGE. Thats a secondary goal though, but its definitely a possibility.

ahaha thanks Light! I'll be posting up more stuff when its made, as usual.

@HoMax: Interesting sonic sprite there. Kinda clashes with the background tiles but I kinda like the look of it by itself.

EDIT: I'VE MESSED WITH THE LIGHTING

if03.png

eeqt.png

vojh.png

The blue was just too overpowering and was bringing down the life and energy of the level. So I lessened the intensity of the shadows and shifted them to purple. I quite like this result. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Wow thanks guys! Glad that I've found that kind of balance!

@Jeli: You just might be able to now that GDK has graphic settings. I've messed with them a little bit and minimal settings do look pretty different and run way better than standard, so who knows, maybe you can play it?

So since I literally have less than a week till this is due, I've been in panic mode trying to get the bare minimum done. I've modeled all of the assets I'm going to model for this. So the only things left to do are texturing and putting it all together (along with making presentable slides of renders and stuff but thats not stuff I show here). 

So I've been hard at work doing just that along with studying for other finals. To really give it the authentic look that this is a sonic level, I've gone as far as designing the scene to literally be a sonic level following modern sonic level design logic. I took 5 hours one day to analyze generations level design and I managed to crack the formula, now I'm learning how to put it into practice (I'm thinking of writing an article about it and posting it here or something cause its actually very fascinating). New texture work is also included in these screens since thats been high priority. I'd like a lot of feedback on them please cause this where it could get game breaking if not done correctly. 

so anyway, here's some new screens.

Ba52CCYCUAALAgB.png

Ba51qDECEAAWU0V.png

Ba51dXOCcAMu39u.png

(it shrank the fuck out of the screens they're like 3 times bigger than this the hell?)

thoughts?

Edited by Highwire
  • Like 3

Thanks man! One thing I'm kinda worried about though, is distracting the player from the game with the container designs or causing too much busy information to be onscreen. So I've been trying to design them to accentuate the flow of the level but I'm not sure if I'm succeeding. I dunno, something feels off about it. Like it doesn't have unity or something.

So I've been texturing things and I've hit a snag. I'm texturing the big cranes in the level and my first attempt at them turned out pretty good, but I think its too realistic for the rest of the stage's assets. So I've dumbed it's detail down and now I can't make up my mind.Please help.

More realistic texture:

tbtv.png

More cartoony texture:

r0mo.png

I'm having a similar problem with the crane body as well since its a more complex object and has more faces, less detail can be put in. So it either starts to look like a rock or a flat sheet.

Any thoughts or suggestions on which I should go for?

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 2

The latter definitely looks cooler color-wise, but there's something about it that feels like something's missing. Maybe its the lack of texture detail, like bolts or etchings or something? Makes it look a tad simple, but at the same time in that cool, "Mirror's Edge" kind of way (the colors around it help that feeling).

EDIT: Holy jeesus just saw the last page's images. Those look awesome.

Edited by Azookara

@Azookara: Thanks man! I've fiddled with it a bit more and achieved something closer to a balance, but I don't have time to work on it. Its good enough in its current state and will just have to do for the assignment (which I'm handing in today by the way.) Everything has been textured to the most basic degree and has been given some better shadow definition and color variation or text of some sort. I don't have time to post up a screenshot since I'm so pressed on time but perhaps I'll post something up on friday. We'll see. Thanks for the critique though.

@Bosco: holy crap thats gorgeous. I absolutely love how consistant your art style is. It works together with itself so well. I'm with OB on this one, please tell me you've got a SAGE demo on the way?

• Like 2

Thank you very much Overbound and Highwire4!
I will gladly participate in SAGE 2014.

I 'd like to show this one little project in SAGE 2014 aswell, a video game starring me and my brother: The Great Normal Brothers (Codenamed "Yuri Sisters). It's a parody of The Mario Brothers and The Great Giana Sisters. I've been working on this game for 5 years as a hobby (2009-present), and only a 40% is complete.

As you can see, this game has calendar-activated features (like Christmas NiGHTS)

5lnegx.png

11bheu0.png

The storyline is about two brothers (Me, and my brother Antonio) who get stuck on their own video game for some unknown reason, and they must avoid that their counterparts (Vladimir and Alexander) get in the real world and dominate it by taking our position in the real world. We must pass through all the levels to find the door located at the game's end "of the world" (The black level shown below)

w6tik9.png
o0ax4j.png

Each brother has 6 different worlds with three levels each one (36 levels), plus some special calendar-activated campaigns. I've completed 12 playable levels so far.

I've put a lot of love and programming into this video game. Love and programming is the best combination ever.

EVOLUTION OF THE FIRST LEVEL THROUGH THE YEARS (2009-2013)

34xrio9.png

Edited by Bosco
  • Like 3