A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

@hobbes: I think its my turn to say holy balls cause holy balls is that edit amazing. She looks so gorgeous and badass omg can I just hire you to make the pixel art for the game or something like seriously ~<3 

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! I can use this as a great thing to learn from and look at for when I make more of her sprites in the future. I'm amazed at the amount of detail you managed to cram in. Good lord this is awesome, you're the best hobbes <3

Also thanks a bunch on the Lost Adventure comment. I just hope its as fun as it is pretty.

@Candescene: Now that I've seen it in action this looks really solid, and by the time I got through both videos I was pretty intrigued and wanted to play it, so I can't wait for SAGE to come around so I can do just that!

The shadowed rooms with the free flowing camera is also really cool as well and is a lot smoother than I thought it be. I actually quite like it, since you have to physically walk into the dark space to see into it, adding a rather large bit of uncertainty and tension to exploring which I think is pretty rad. 

@Protodan: Controlled by the mouse cursor? How so? As in completely controlling the x and y by moving the mouse around? Or does it work in flappy bird fashion of clicking to make him flap upward?

I... I don't want to know.

Anyhow... Moar screenshots. Say hello to Kazemon, who is now the fifth playable fighter!

Just a note, she has an additional Down+Attack move, like in Battle Spirit 2, which sorta makes up for the fact that her projectile has limited range. Her inability to carry and throw objects/other fighters has, thankfully, vindicated my decision to not implement that for this demo (well, aside from the fact that the throw move is broken right now).

Kazemon.png

And, in addition, I've made some cosmetic changes to the speech bubbles and how the bubbles that aren't specific to any on-screen character are displayed. The font in particular is no longer a sprite font, it looks comparatively boring, but I won't lie, it's infinitely more readable, and I'd rather have dialogue as readable as possible over looking fancy.

Also, the dialogue wheel also looks a bit boring, but it's way less shittier than the original placeholder. Still a placeholder, but it has 24 slots, now rather than the typical eight.

NewFont.png

• Like 1

@Highwire He's being dragged with the mouse cursor, just like you'd drag a file to your desktop or something. There's no clicking involved.

@arcticfox The game's called Flappy Bird Adventures, and yes it is for that game. I really don't know where you got "Jam" from.

It's also not a clone or anything though. It's the complete opposite... in a way. A clone of Flappy Bird would have a similar game play style, but a different character (like a fish or a penguin). What I'm doing is using the same character (and setting and whatnot) but having a different game play style.

• There will be actual levels with (I think I'll make it 5) pipes instead of just endless randomly generated pipes.
  • There might be power-ups that let you, say, shrink or become invincible.
  • There might also be some story elements and even a villain *cough* 8491owG.png *cough*.

Go check on the Sonic & Mighty thread. I have a playable demo of Flappy Bird Adventures, even though I've already made a few improvements between the time I put up that demo and now.

Edited by Proto Dan

@Proto Dan: He got "Jam" from the Flappy Bird Game Jam that happened either two weeks ago or last week. I'm pretty sure its over but I could be wrong. I just know I've been seeing it a lot on Twitter lately.

As for you making this into a whole game... alright. If thats what you want to do go for it. But I hope you have more in mind for it than just a string of pipes for the player to go through for the whole game because that kind of layout really only works for an infinite runner like Flappy Bird. So I'm curious to see what other things you'll throw into the mix

@Candescene: Woah new character! Honestly, I'm not very impressed with the GUI you have for the dialog interface. Its kinda weird to me to have it right in the middle of the screen like that when theres so much room on the bottom for something like that. HUD items shouldn't go in the middle of the screen because thats where the character is so having it there seems kinda messy. It also clips into the actual dialog speech bubbles which is kinda annoying as well. So I'd suggest moving it to a lower portion of the screen.

Also not to nitpick or anything but is 20+ options for dialog really necessary? 8 is a pretty good number for a multitude of reasons and keeps the game focused and easy to follow, so 20+ just seems kinda.. I dunno, not the best design decision you've made so far.

I do like the addition of this kind of mechanic though, don't get me wrong about that. 

Edited by Highwire4

Oh, now I understand. I just searched up Flappy Jam, and apparently this thing is going on until February 24th. I'm not making a game for Flappy Jam. I didn't even know about this. I just thought it'd be fun to build upon Flappy Bird by including levels, power-ups, bosses, etc. This is also my way of getting more experience with MMF2, and doing something productive until Worlds Delta 1.4.3 comes out.

eyUITLJ.png

Ugh, here's another screenshot I guess.

Edited by Proto Dan

Yo, Candescence, that Digimon stuff of yours looks pretty tight even though I don't really cared much for Digimon, seeing it in action really made me want to test it out. I liked the "water" effect you get from the dark rooms, but I feel that this game have the same problem that Castlevania one of yours has... Lack of graphical consistency. I'm okay with pixel-art games using gradients and new tech from this day and age, but when there are too many different things the game loses it's identity. For example you have non-pixelated speech bubbles, with non-pixelated text and the "speech options" you have are in pixelated text. You have enemies from other games that are very different from the art-style of the digimon characters, You have a great looking "arena" (the grass one) with one style and a castle (or whatever that is) in a very different artstyle. In the first arena you have pixelated water in the castle one you have vector water, etc.

I'm cool with spicing up things a bit, but your stuff while it looks ok, feels like there is no identity. Try to sprite some stuff by yourself or at least adequate some stuff like enemies to the digimon's style. If you can't try looking up for help.

These are my only problems with it, but still looks pretty interesting and I'm looking foward to give it a spin.

Firstly: Yes, I am perfectly aware of the graphical inconsistency with the art and the effects. That's what happens when game assets and open-source assets are the only stuff you have to work with, sadly! I want to try and advertise to get an artist to work with so I can overhaul pretty much everything anyway, for both art and gameplay reasons. I'm not a good pixel artist, myself. Though I did try and work with the inconsistencies, by establishing the enemies as weird and unfamiliar to the player character, for starters.

As for the font... Looking at the link you found, Overbound, I did manage to find a small font that was actually very much readable - the Balthasar font. The problem with 'pixel' fonts on the net is that they tend to not be very readable, especially in small sizes. Apply a small outline, and...

NewSpritefont.png

... Yeah, that actually looks pretty good, and it scales very well, too. Thanks!

Edited by Candescence
  • Like 1

I feel I should post progress of my game.

FxoYc8M.png

(Yes I know the flowers are to small I'll try to recreate them on a bigger scale)

I haven't got much farther than this at the moment as I'm mainly focusing on the criticism I've gotten for the game (Remix is much more than a slightly different classic mode now.)

Also once I create a proper thread for this, do you guys think I should ask for help for things such as graphics and music since the entire team for this is consisted of me alone?

• Like 3

I feel I should post progress of my game.

FxoYc8M.png

(Yes I know the flowers are to small I'll try to recreate them on a bigger scale)

I haven't got much farther than this at the moment as I'm mainly focusing on the criticism I've gotten for the game (Remix is much more than a slightly different classic mode now.)

Also once I create a proper thread for this, do you guys think I should ask for help for things such as graphics and music since the entire team for this is consisted of me alone?

That is up to you to decide.

2i7rf9t.jpg

Flame Rift Modern, a pic of the parallax to show how things are getting done in this little project called Sonic Recreations.

Im still working in the modern engine but i think its getting cool, in fact i didnt do much since the Sonic 06 Engine of Blaze its perfect as it its, but it didnt had game over, lives or score or that stuff so im still porting those stuff from the sonic worlds engine in had but is getting nice, but im still have to work in a better stomp attack and a wall jump.

The First demo will have 2 levels for modern mode and 2 levels for classic mode.

Modern Mode:

-Flame Rift Zone from SRB2 The Mystic Realm mod

-Final Fall  from Sonic XG

Classic Mode:

-Cross Station  from Sonic Phoenix

-South Island  from Ashura Dark Regin

• Like 6

Oh my god that is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see what final fall looks like. I hope the level design holds up as well, too many games that follow this style fall flat from that.

As for Parhelion Peak, come on man there are so many more unique and iconic stages from Lake's games to choose from xD

Personally I'd love to see Foliage Furnace or Sugar Splash or Technology Tree, but whatevs. 

Looking forward to the demo and curious to see what other fan games you plan on remixing levels from!

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 1

Oh my god that is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see what final fall looks like. I hope the level design holds up as well, too many games that follow this style fall flat from that.

As for Parhelion Peak, come on man there are so many more unique and iconic stages from Lake's games to choose from xD

Personally I'd love to see Foliage Furnace or Sugar Splash or Technology Tree, but whatevs. 

Looking forward to the demo and curious to see what other fan games you plan on remixing levels from!

Thanks, i was hoping that final fall looked like the original but im working on modern style gimmnicks or a more modern oriented stage, i dont usually do things that are out of my possibillities its just a game where you can select freely the mode you want to play and the stage you want to play, but instead of doing what Generations does with the original levels doing the same level for modern and classic i thought in modern games in classic style and classic games in modern style kinda of thing, but i will do some levels not all the games will be there, just the more iconic of the fan base like SRB2, ADR, Sonic Phoenix, Sonic Time Attacked and i was thinking to include levels from Sonic Fusion and Retro, aswel for Nexus, but modern fan games that are full or even iconic or they are 3D or the few 2D never pass from a bunch of demos sadly, but since this is just like a hall of fame of sonic fan games more than an official game i think is okay, for Flame Rift i have the modern version of the stage song here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5POr6GzIz0 but sadly i dont know the name for the Metal Hell song and if somebody made a remix of that song so i have 2 options one is that somebody could tell me the song name for Metal Hell or instead i put this song as the level song 

is not a Labyrinth Zone music just the title the guy put there in fact the real name is Factory Evasion by Cyber Rainforce

Was trying to get Dynamic Water to work in my game, but for some reason I couldn't get the waves to propagate correctly. 

Grass.gif

So i took the same concept and applied it to all the grass instead, opens up some neat possibilities...i plan to abuse this from now on.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 4

Was trying to get Dynamic Water to work in my game, but for some reason I couldn't get the waves to propagate correctly. 

Grass.gif

So i took the same concept and applied it to all the grass instead, opens up some neat possibilities...i plan to abuse this from now on.

Oh yeah dude, I can see that happening with tall grass.

http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/make-a-splash-with-dynamic-2d-water-effects--gamedev-236

In Construct you're able to define and deform the mesh of a sprite, so i applied the spring formula to specific parts of the grass sprites to make it waver. 

The incredible thing isn't the fact that it worked, but that I just applied it to every grass sprite currently in the layout and it did nothing to my framerate.

Edited by Serephim