A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

334aeafd5a54ad42a86c79353893e7d9-d71aijb

This could have been better...

Cool screen and all but god the HUD is large.

Here is a tip: at least when it comes to Sonic HUD's: less is more.

The top left corner of the screen is pretty much blocked. If there was a badnik in there the player would probably get shot.

Look at the classic HUDs, yes they were sort of large with all that text. But they were also spaced well enough and had thin letters which wouldn't inconvenience the player all that much.

Not saying the HUD is bad just excessively large for too little information. The yellow border can go and so can the "spikes" I mean they're cute in the boost bar (I'm assuming that what it is) like Colors had but having in all other elements is just unecessary.

Look how much screen space you were wasting on that yellow and white outlines and how much more clean stuff looks now. I even kept the spikes in the boost bar just with some small edits to make it more consistent:

7pixQsb.png

So I finally got the 2D section done...I think. I dunno I probably did the splines wrong BUT ANYWAY the level has been completely playable with no problems [cept loops those aren't splined right yet] that is until I put in the 2D camera which screwed everything up for some reason I cannot comprehend or figure out. Sonic's control scheme likes to just reverse at random intervals and I have no clue why. I recorded this odd behavior. If I look like fidgety or like I'm having trouble with a thing or just randomly turning around, its this phenomenon. 

Any idea on what it could be? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqaCDbyd8co&feature=youtu.be

Here's a pre-preview.  Gonna be showing a video soon, but I thought I'd show everyone the only remaining technical issue I'm currently having.

If I could figure out how to attach meshes together in 3DS Max without screwing up the skinning, this would not be an issue.  In Blender it's as simple as Ctrl+J.  But I can't use Blender for the import process due to file format issues.

I've asked on the Autodesk forums, so hopefully someone can help.

post-1960-0-79785900-1389932938_thumb.pn

Here's a pre-preview.  Gonna be showing a video soon, but I thought I'd show everyone the only remaining technical issue I'm currently having.

If I could figure out how to attach meshes together in 3DS Max without screwing up the skinning, this would not be an issue.  In Blender it's as simple as Ctrl+J.  But I can't use Blender for the import process due to file format issues.

I've asked on the Autodesk forums, so hopefully someone can help.

Your problem seems to be on the texture and not the mesh (if you're talking about the white line in Sonic's head). At least in 3DSMax you have to give some space so the edge of the UVs never actually touch the edges of the texture (just give something like 1px or half a pixel and it should do the trick just fine). Or you should try to add some blur to the edges like so:

http://img-new.cgtrader.com/items/40014/large_grass_texture_3d_model_fbx_obj_max__f22fa75e-aa7a-42c2-8727-8daba2553a15.JPG

So even if the line does appear, you will have the line in the same color as the overall texture instead of having a white one making it impossible to note the difference. But be sure you're happy with your final texture because bluring the edges make it a bit difficult to edit later on (as you can probably see in the pic I posted).

Your problem seems to be on the texture and not the mesh (if you're talking about the white line in Sonic's head). At least in 3DSMax you have to give some space so the edge of the UVs never actually touch the edges of the texture (just give something like 1px or half a pixel and it should do the trick just fine). Or you should try to add some blur to the edges like so:

http://img-new.cgtrader.com/items/40014/large_grass_texture_3d_model_fbx_obj_max__f22fa75e-aa7a-42c2-8727-8daba2553a15.JPG

So even if the line does appear, you will have the line in the same color as the overall texture instead of having a white one making it impossible to note the difference. But be sure you're happy with your final texture because bluring the edges make it a bit difficult to edit later on (as you can probably see in the pic I posted).

The screenshot doesn't quite capture what's going on visually.  It definitely is the model, not the texture, and this line is happening directly on the edge of the two separate meshes.  When I extract Sonic directly from Generations, he's in several pieces.  The body itself is in four pieces, the cloth is in two, the shoes are in three, and the eyes are in two.  And only the shoes have any sensible separation to them; the others are totally random pieces of the model split apart.  If you look closely, you can see that the shading is different on the two parts, and even if the line itself were gone, it would not look "continuous".

I have discovered one method of joining objects and combining skinning, but I have my doubts as to whether it will work.

@Biggerboot: Whoa, that looks pretty cool. You thinkin of adding in more details later on? I think the wall material you're using right now is fine, but it could do with some variation and maybe a little bit more specularity to make it look like its glimmering or damp which could add a lot of character to it. As for the lights, I dunno what you're tryin to go for in terms of mood but its looking pretty spooky to me with lighting the way it is right now, but maybe you could have lanterns hanging from the wooden beams and make those your light source? Could be pretty cool if you get a yellow/orange light and have it contrast with a bluish rock wall.

@InfinityAlex: Is that the final level design for the tutorial level or are you just testing out graphics? Cause if thats the final level design I've got words to say about it. The graphics looks sharp though, nice job on em. One thing that I think that the signs could benefit from is having the symbols on the buttons be a darker shade to really make them clear and easy to recognize since I think they're a bit soft atm.

Edited by Highwire4

@Biggerboot: Whoa, that looks pretty cool. You thinkin of adding in more details later on? I think the wall material you're using right now is fine, but it could do with some variation and maybe a little bit more specularity to make it look like its glimmering or damp which could add a lot of character to it. As for the lights, I dunno what you're tryin to go for in terms of mood but its looking pretty spooky to me with lighting the way it is right now, but maybe you could have lanterns hanging from the wooden beams and make those your light source? Could be pretty cool if you get a yellow/orange light and have it contrast with a bluish rock wall.

@InfinityAlex: Is that the final level design for the tutorial level or are you just testing out graphics? Cause if thats the final level design I've got words to say about it. The graphics looks sharp though, nice job on em. One thing that I think that the signs could benefit from is having the symbols on the buttons be a darker shade to really make them clear and easy to recognize since I think they're a bit soft atm.

Thanks and yes I am going to add the lanterns and make those one of my light sources (I've been looking at rl mine references for ideas). 

I'm also going to add other little details like a mine rail that progresses through the level... you'll see when I post a video.

Edited by Biggerboot

So I'm about to decide on a definite name for my project, which is Sonic gameplay in Unity.  I had previously called this Sonic United in my head, but now that we've merged forums with that of the very same name, I want to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes.

I've subsequently considered making this a subtitle of a larger project I'm working on, and call it Nexus: Sonic United.  Does anyone have any objections to this?

Blegh, double-whammy already.  I'm sure I can think of something though.  Maybe just like...  Sonic Unity or something.  Sounds a bit awkward but it's straightforward.  Though if that's too similar I might go for a parody "Title Pending" name or something.  Or maybe one of those really cheesy Japanese childrens' action-hero shows.

*facepalm*

Gosh, alex, do you know who plays sonic fan games? SONIC FANS. You don't need a tutorial level, WE KNOW WHAT THE HECK WE'RE DOING, AND WE KNOW HOW TO DO IT WELL. It would be different if it were a 3D game or a different styled game like chrono adventure. Unless your introducing a new or not well known mechanic (ie, knuckles chaotix partner system) YOU DON'T NEED A TUTORIAL LEVEL, NOR WILL US EXPERIENCED SONIC FANS WHO DON'T WANT TO SIT THROUGH THEM.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger
  • Like 1

*facepalm*

Gosh, alex, do you know who plays sonic fan games? SONIC FANS. You don't need a tutorial level, WE KNOW WHAT THE HECK WE'RE DOING, AND WE KNOW HOW TO DO IT WELL. It would be different if it were a 3D game or a different styled game like chrono adventure. Unless your introducing a new or not well known mechanic (ie, knuckles chaotix partner system) YOU DON'T NEED A TUTORIAL LEVEL, NOR WILL US EXPERIENCED SONIC FANS WHO DON'T WANT TO SIT THROUGH THEM.

Well, it really isn't a tutorial level, lol, It just explains what each key does.

You'll see eventually. (Yes, I am a part of this as well).

Just dumping some imagery. This is from the game I'm making called JAM for those who dont know. EJ(the main character) in the test level.

2lku3rp.png

1626wdl.png

2q9b6ef.png

n7rzn.png

There are a ton of place holders still but the game is very playable in its current state.

Edited by ECLIPSc70