A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

YES! It looks way better than the other one! Not that the other was bad, but this one is way better!

I was playing with PS and made this... palmtree thing:

Palmwhat.png

Not the best thing in the world, but I think it's the best candy-themed palmtree I'l be able to do, seeing as I can't figure how to do the shading for that gelatin-ish leaves manually.

That cake was the first tile I did for the stage and I didn't touch it since then. That explains why it isn't that great, almost everything else was redone with time, but the cake no, and at that time my skills with pixel/level art were waaaaay worse than now. I'll come up with something to make it better though, I just need some inspiration (and time).

Thanks to Jayextee and Kharen over at Sonic Retro, they gave me a little tutorial about light sources and stuff since Jayextee said Vehement Volcano's tiles lacked contrast from the background, and this is what was produced. I love it and I plan on updated VVZ's tile to reflect this. (Credit to Kharen for the mockup itself.)

SonicRetroExperimentScreen.png

It does look better, Delta. Altough those "lava waterfalls", on the background looks weird in my opinion. I mean, the lava shouln't flow directly down, especially because of the mountain landscape which tends to be irregular most of the times.

Also, Lava usually cast light, so... At the bottom, i.e, where the mountain meets the lava pool, should have an orange-ish gradient on the mountains.

The final result would be something like this:

Ds8y4.png

The lava thing would also add some variation (presuming you would do more than one mountain) to the background, which right now, looks pretty boring and copy-pasted.

But whatever, that's me being nitpicky as always.

@Strife:

The left one still looks like a bug, which isn't an evil look, just scary like most of the insects are when you see their faces at close. But the right one, he sure as hell looks pissed of, and I'm not saying that because of the piss-colored eyes.

Amazing as always, Strife... Buuuut... I didn't liked the building in the right either. Not just it looks ugly, but it also ruins the flow that you had with the background. It is almost like it doesn't belong to the scene, looks like a NYC building in the middle of medieval japan.

Also the orange colors in the background are giving the idea that the location is on fire or something. I would make it more purple/blu-ish like so:

V3dEJ.png

(Also I removed the ugly building <3)

I dunno, this way it kinda gives that night atmosphere to it and don't draw much of the attention of the player (feel free to change the pallete, made it in like, 5 mins or so, I'm sure you can do better)