A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

@LarkSS

I fixed the bridge post. I still need to try to do better clouds, though.

On the subject of grass shadows, i'll... work on it.

ttz3.png

Now, i tried to use platforms like those from Palmtree Panic, which are invisible if Sonic isn't stepping on them. The problem is that, as seen in the picture above, my platforms only return to their "hidden" animation when Sonic jumps off them.

The events i used:

-Sonic's small bottom detector is overlapping platform = change platform animation to shooting.

-Sonic's small bottom detector isn't overlapping platform = change platform animation to standing.

How can i improve that?

I've encountered a similar problem to that, Hyper. I think what you need to do is run a test for the bottom detector's X coordinate when compared to the X coordinate of the block. A condition like this, mayhaps:

X position of detector > X("block") - 10

+ X position of detector < X("block") + 10

I did it.

ttztchrammm.png

"If object "Player" (the big green ball detector) is not overlapping a platform, then the platform's animation changes to standing."

Edit:

However, turns out that doing this freezes the platforms' "shooting" animation on the first frame. If i have it's animation frame always be it's current + 1, it then skips the first frame, and resets after the third. =(

This is the newest one.

CastleBG.png

I don't feel I have the best color combination I could have. I also feel that there might be a better sky than the ones I've picked, and that the hidden place Castle doesn't look good as it is re-purposed in a very different way.

I feel rather stuck and was hoping to get some suggestions.

Good job on the background. I really like the castle, but I think it's too bright. The clouds and mountains in front of it are more faded and have a more distance feel. Maybe you could desaturated the castle to make if appear furthest away. Overall I really like it.

I have an idea.

polarpalacewlights.png

Since the castle in the one image appeared to be lit from below against the night sky, I added some searchlights behind the wall. If you were to add searchlights to the BG, it would remedy the lighting issue. I also replaced the black pixels on your castle with a very dark blue to blend it better into the horizon. Finally I dithered the shadow on the castle towers since I thought the original shadow looked too rough and didn't transition as neatly.

It's a fairly rough edit, though, so feel free to build upon this if you want.

Overbound I think you're making it way too cluttered without taking dimension into much thought. Like the lowest set of clouds/snow that have the pillars coming out should look a lot closer to the screen, rather than just reused from the further set. You have them in front of a wall/hill thing, so they should appear closer.

The castle at the very top, I say make it a lot farther/smaller/darker. The top of the snow (where it ends) looks too much like a horizon, so seeing the big random castle made from S3K level tiles isn't working for me. Kind of vice versa with the Lava Reef (?) rocks at the bottom. Personally I wouldn't use them. Considering how they're shaded atm (and originally), I don't think they work well with how you're using them.

The sky also has a dithering effect via Advance 1. I don't think it works with the Genesis tiles. Take a look at how Oil Ocean and Launch Base did their dithering.

I think the main issue is you have a solid concept, but in sprite form it's not working.

Gear_The_Hedgehog, it's really dissapointing to see a decent Sonic Gijinka design (as seen in some artwork for your game) have a sprite that is just.. egh. It's Sonic Gijinka, so Sonic is going to have more human poses than just duplicates of his S3K poses. It'd make more sense to base your poses on at -least- the Advance poses, and at best legit human proportions. Maybe pull something like a Mario (talking like Peach or Waluigi, not chubby Mario) or Megaman X in terms of proportions. As for the sprite itself, the head is just a round blob that doesn't even have a nose. Pretty much just look at any anime guy image and study the proportions on those (since this is a Gijinka project). I think in general the main issue is you have that Gijinka art in your game, and then a sprite that isn't following its proportions at all. It just makes little sense.

If this makes no sense then I'm not surprised; it's like 1:30 am

I second what Overbound says. The logo definitely looks like something official. =D

Anyway, a couple of you had interest in trying that Christmas game I've been posting screenies of, so you can find it here if you're still interested. There's also a few more screenshots on that page.

Also, I'm not sure if this would give Overbound an idea of what to do with his background, but in any case, this is something I did for the final stage of my game:

thxmas5.png

An aurora would be difficult to do in the Genesis style, but maybe the ice castle would take its place. Perhaps you could try reworking the fluffy icy section underneath the castle wall into an ocean with the castle's reflection?