A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A quick question

ila

I liked the spirit behind it, as it attempted to be an Adventure-like game. I could halfway forgive the gameplay enough to play it now and again, and the story was easy to ignore. The levels had some cool themes to them, too.

Overall, a bad game that I kind of still like anyway.

Music is nice, gameplay is a mess, story is bizarre in the development, but is still awesome in the concept. I mean, I somehow like how Sonic 06 approaches the blue hedgehog to reality. SEGA just approached it way too much, that's it.

Seriously, I've never felt like Eggman really wanted to kill Sonic so much like in this game. I liked this point.

You mean loading screens the game? Fuck no, the story was absolute shit, some of the levels were ok, and the music was very unmemorable.

lol

never played it. considered buying it and then bought another game that was 100x better at the same price... viva pinata.

not only was this piece of shit plagued with load screens, but the load screens were at least 30 fucking seconds a pop. God it was a nightmare I hated it.

One little thing I'd been willing to say to someone... I just happened to spend some time playing Sonic 3D Blast for Saturn. I know the hardware isn't as powerful as a X360/PS3, but for me, it only loses for Sonic 06 in terms of annoyance with Loading Screens.

I'm usually pretty open to hilariously bad storylines and/or archaic/prohibitive gameplay mechanics, but the load screens ensured I didn't get anywhere close to anywhere in the game.

SIDE MISSION

<loads for 20secs>

1 LINE OF DIALOGUE

<loads for 30secs again>

I wish I was exaggerating.

I really wouldn't mind a darker, edgier Sonic game storyline. But as Shadow the Hedgehog and this have prooved, it's just out of place in the Sonic the Hedgehog world.

Mephiles kinda looked cool I guess, but the whole time-travelling, nihiistic, manipulative, shadow creature thing didn't really do it for me.

Sonic's just inbedded in my memories as a happy colourful game with little story, and the story that it did have was simple and relatively light-hearted. It was 100% about gameplay back then. I felt like they spent a lot of time trying to work out an "epic", "edgy", "dark" plot but in the end it came out long-winded, confusing and out of place for a Sonic game.

I think at the time it came out, I found Sonic '06 more appealing than it should have been due to the excitement of it being OMG NEXT GEN SONIC!!!1!!1. Despite every frustration the game threw at me, despite every odd design decision (odd looking Sonic kissing a human, giving the game the same title as the original) I still wanted to play it as it was still Sonic with next gen graphics, though I remember the hub world as looking rather last gen, my brother even commented on how it looked like PS2 graphics as I was running and jumping around the town.

But since I finished the game (and used a guide to find all those coins) and the new gen excitement wore off, I've never fancied playing it again. So it was okay for me at the time, but I'd be very disappointed if they made another game like '06 now.

I'm pretty much in the same camp as Jamie. I was sixteen at the time too and so when it came out I was all like THIS IS TOTALLY HARDCORE!!1one.

Age and also the excitement wearing off made me realize that the game is shit. Nice soundtrack though for the most part.

sonic 06 is fuckshit at its worst

but you know the funny thing about it? If i ever actually owned the game im pretty sure i'd beat it.

I think if i actually took the time to pop it in my playstation then id probably end up playing it despite all the terrible glitches and shit. The physics are terrible and the engine feels less solid overall than Sonic Adventure but eventually you just grow accustomed to the garbage and it no longer really bothers you. Im sure we've all enjoyed far worse than sonic 06 in our younger years before we had terms to pinpoint and describe why certain games were trash.

In fact, i almost think it's worth playing to see just how terrible the next glitch or design flaw you encounter will be

As for Blaze's post on that page regarding 06...I mean who wouldn't kill for a completely finished 06? By "finished" im sure people dont mean "delayed 3 months" rather than "all of its mechanics and goals fully realized".

All of 06's mechanics would be fine if they actually worked right. Mach Speed sections were pretty much completely realized when they created Sonic Unleashed, when you think about it. With that in mind, i think it's pretty damn easy to imagine Sonic 06 in a different light. Throwing around the term "bad design" at every turn is such a shitty cop-out. Sonic 06's failure was a combination of way more than design flaws.

dunno about that story though.

I talk about Unleashed alot because i was surprised how much i enjoyed the game in entirety when i eventually was desperate enough to buy it. And i dont know how much it counts, but the DLC stages were damn amazing in that game.

I really wouldn't mind a darker, edgier Sonic game storyline. But as Shadow the Hedgehog and this have prooved, it's just out of place in the Sonic the Hedgehog world.

Both Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 had "darker" stories but were pretty well received.

Throwing around the term "bad design" at every turn is such a shitty cop-out.

Except, of course, that doing things like forcing multiple long loading screens within the same NPC conversation is inexcusably bad design.

I don't play games to imagine how the mechanics could've been if they weren't trash. That's about as useful as say a song would be great if only it was good. If anything, knowing it could've been better only makes it worse. It makes it abundantly clear that they ultimately didn't care about deliver a decent experience. The game was piggybacking off of a formula they had developed on their first proper 3D outing years before. They not only had more experience- they practically had a blueprint of how to go about it and a list of the things they should/shouldn't do.

Sonic 06 was less a product of bad design and more a product of being a shitty videogame. I highly doubt the loading screens inbetween NPCs were an actual design choice rather than a result of some form of terrible programming cancer that plagued the game. Im not saying the game didnt have bad design issues though. Im just saying alot of the concepts themselves really had nothing wrong with them; the execution was just terrible. I guess you could call that bad design through deduction though.

Now, alot of the criticism that Modern Sonic gets is indeed what i'd call misuse of the term "bad design". I think people should just say "i dislike being killed by running off a cliff" instead of "THIS IS BAD DESIGN". It's just...annoying. The game never once forced you to hold down the boost button and run off a cliff; you just chose to not let go of the boost button. You're perfectly capable of beating almost every stage in these games without it. Holding down the boost button the entire length of the stage your reward for mastering the stage. Homing Attack makes short work of enemies where in the old games you'd just hold the down button on reaction and kill them anyway. Badnicks in Modern Sonic serve the exact same purpose as they did in Classic sonic -- they stand in your way so you can run through them.