A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A quick question

ila

Honestly, I would say falling off a cliff and dying is bad design. How many cliffs can you fall off during sonic games nowadays? It's just a million cliffs. I don't like to be killed instantly by anything in a video game. It's the ultimate punishment a game can dish out, it usually happens because "you didn't realize you had to push 'A' fast enough".

Obviously they had this in the Genesis titles as well, but it wasn't the source of the majority of my death. Colors (while a decent game) was a bunch of tiny platforms hovering above nothing for half the game, and I constantly lost ten lives on the same pit. I haven't played any other "new" Sonic games really, but from the sounds of it, they're worse than Colors. I assume that kind of shit was in there too.

I really don't see how it's that big a deal. Except for QTE i dont see how you can really blame anyone but yourself for falling off a cliff. I can't see how a game killing you for dying is bad design. It's like playing a Mario Kart map and crying "BAD GAME DESIGN" when you drive off a cliff.

Just like any other game, Sonic introduces all of its funny little mechanics to you in a non-lethal manner before it attempts to relentlessly murder you with them. Electric homing targets, timed homing attack hazards, ring trails, directional cannon gimmicks, bombs on walls, ect. The only thing that will almost always COMPLETELY blindside you the first time are the QTE segments, and the only game that used those were Unleashed. There are also a few rail hazards i can recall that will usually end up murdering you instantly, but what the hell.

If cliffs in sonic games are bad design, then Spikes in megaman are terrible design, as well as being crushed by a block or falling off a cliff in Mario Brothers. You'll see Megaman spikes coming a mile away and still get suckered into touching them one way or another anyway, and most bosses on the more classic titles are damn near impossible to defeat on first attempt due to the nature of their patterns. Regardless of your skill level. Nobody complains about that shit though; they just call it "CHALLENGING", take a Game Over and run with it.

But Sonic fans like to act like mini game design consultants everytime they fall off a cliff or something, just dont get that. It's not like it isn't painfully obvious where you can and cant fall down in 3D sonic titles. It isnt like you're getting killed while exploring; no you're fucking up and getting killed for it

The only reason people justify instant deaths is because they've been so prevalent in video games since the beginning. Yes, I do think it was bad design to have instant death spikes or blocks that crush you and you die. Some games make it very easy to have the camera focused on something else while you accidentally strafe into some death trap or something. I don't really see how you could call it good design to get killed for a tiny mistake, and then you have to redo the entire level. It isn't fun, and why would you make a game not fun?

No one complains about it because it has always been that way. There are people that like games to be "challenging" like that, and they can play I Wanna Be The Guy all they want. My point is that it's way too easy to hit stuff due to a small mistake like you blinked at the wrong time or the camera wasn't focused on that enemy. If you bumped a button and it made you jump into spikes on the ceiling and you die, you have to do the whole level again.

well i think it'd be terrible design to make you redo the whole level too, but thats why Checkpoints were created

I think as long as death in a game is done in moderation, it isn't too big a deal. Death in sonic doesn't really hold too much weight. In fact, it never has. Checkpoints were not uncommon, and extra lives were never at all difficult to come by. And even if you really sucked, you still had continues to push you through.

Sonic '06 is almost entirely glitched. I've run into a lot of glitches just in the first time I played it. I haven't played much (only Sonic's Story, until Flame Core), but I should say they really didn't care for that game. There's nothing challenging to it, it's just not well made. I did need to redo Ocean Wave from the beginning in the first time I played because the game would always glitch at the loop in the end of the stage, sending me to death, no matter what I did. However, I enjoyed the game a little, although not like any other Sonic game I played.

• 2 weeks later...