A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Blue Spheres Forever - Beta Gameplay Preview

erbuka85

Seeing as you have a much more capable engine I'd like to see if you could implement some new gimmicks.

One cool thing would be tiles of the sphere missing and when you fall down through the sphere you come out the other side.

Or speed up/slow down balls which sonic's speed effectively.

Seeing as you have a much more capable engine I'd like to see if you could implement some new gimmicks.

One cool thing would be tiles of the sphere missing and when you fall down through the sphere you come out the other side.

Or speed up/slow down balls which sonic's speed effectively.

Well if you wanna know, I'm thinking about moving bumpers O_o

Btw before adding new mechanics I have to clean the code and build a stable version.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions :)

This looks so awesome! The graphics are great and the mechanics are just right. I'd love to see what kind of original twist you take with it. Moving bumpers sounds like an idea.

This is a little different from what we usually see. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work.

Wild suggestions: tall spheres/jumping star spheres that Sonic cannot jump over + Knuckles as a powerup (Put him on the map, when you walk over him you swap to him and Sonic gets left there instead to swap back) with an alternate move to dig under for the same distance as a jump. As balance he can't use Yellow spheres or something.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I could play this, but the game doesn't work on my computer.

I have Windows XP with a ATI Radeon X1300 graphic card. I don't know which version of OpenGL I have though.

The level editor and the launcher work fine, but when I click on "Launch Game", a console window briefly appears and then nothing happens.

This is what is displayed in the console:

Info -> Global::LoadGameConifg(): Configuration file loaded.
Info -> GameData::Initialize(): Loaded 128 stage sections
The select mode is not available[/CODE]

(it does write Conifg instead of Config)

The level editor is functional, but I've noticed a problem. When I first launch the editor, if I open the Game Stages list, it finds it alright. But after I open an existing stage, if I open the Game Stages list again, the program says it can't find it and instead of opening the data\stages.dat file, it creates a data\data\stages.dat file.

By the way, you should give a different extension to the sections.dat and stages.dat files, especially since they're in the same folder as the level files. My first thought was to open these files with the level editor, which made it crash.

@Core

The problem is that tha game can't launch full screen game mode. I will add a windowed mode support.

To check your OpenGL version you can download this:

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/extensions.html

The Level editor thing sounds really strange as it seems works fine in my PC. I'll take a look into it. It's probably a pathing issue in .NET framework of windows XP.

Anyway thanks for reporting :)

EDIT: Ok i've tried to do a small fix for those bugs.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50837621/bsf-hotfix.rar

Now the game should run in windowed mode if fullscreen is not supported. If you see graphics error, that means that your OpenGL version is prior to 3.3 (you can try to update your graphics card drivers). Try the level editor and tell me if those pathing issues are solved.

According to that OpenGL Extension Viewer, I have only version 2.1 (and a few extensions from versions 3.0 and 3.1). And I did download the latest drivers for my graphic card, so I guess I won't be able to play the game.

I've noticed the reason fullscreen didn't work was because I was choosing the lowest resolution. At a higher resolution, fullscreen is supported. In any case, even with the new version, I get a lot of errors in the console then I see a black screen (or an empty window) then the program crashes. I can hear the S&K title music though.

As for the level editor, the problem has been corrected; now it reads the right file.

According to that OpenGL Extension Viewer, I have only version 2.1 (and a few extensions from versions 3.0 and 3.1). And I did download the latest drivers for my graphic card, so I guess I won't be able to play the game.

I've noticed the reason fullscreen didn't work was because I was choosing the lowest resolution. At a higher resolution, fullscreen is supported. In any case, even with the new version, I get a lot of errors in the console then I see a black screen (or an empty window) then the program crashes. I can hear the S&K title music though.

As for the level editor, the problem has been corrected; now it reads the right file.

Thanks for reporting. The errors in the console and the black screen are all because of the OpenGL version. I'll try to do a compatibilty version, even though, I don't think your graphics card can handle the game :(...