A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

EGGEN (The EGG-Engine) - Random test

Damizean

logo.png

What the f-

As some of you already know, I've been working on a Sonic physics engine for Unity, called the EGG-Engine. The goal of the engine is to mimic as closely as possible the original games physics in a 2.5D environment (a la Generations/Unleashed). So far progress on the engine has been very slow, due to university, exams and social life. Most of the features present on the engine had been implemented for months (as you could've seen in the Chemical Plant beta release of SFR).

So far it features the following:

• Sonic physics, including the basic actions (Run, Brake, Roll, Spindash, Look Up, Crouch Down, Hurt and Dead).
  • Rings.
  • Springs.
  • Spikes.
  • Item Boxes (With no effect).
  • B-Spline paths.
  • Badniks (MotoBug and BuzzBomber as example).
  • Various other things on engine level.

So what do you want from us?

Well, I took some relax time from exams period and decided it could be fun to make a small test release. I'll also be interested in getting some feedback on the perfomance of the test, so if you can post your average FPS along your computer specs, it'll give me an idea on how optimiced the engine is so far and what might have to change.

Don't worry about telling me about bugs because I've tested the engine to death, so I know most of them. These include:

• Getting stuck between a diagonal spring and a wall.
  • That diagonal spring that launches Sonic only vertically.
  • The fact that you can get to the other side of the loop by just jumping.
  • The camera going nuts when gravity is reversed (I just rewrote the camera code, so this was prone to happen).
  • Other random path issues (I was lazy, most of these problems can be fixed with proper design).

tl;dr

Test it and report perfomance please.

So how do I play?

Arrows - Move Sonic around.
A/S/D - Action buttons.
1/2 - Show/Hide debug console. Just shows some random stats.[/CODE]

Windows | Web-Player

I get 60fps on Fantastic at 800x600 windowed. Anything higher and I get 50.

Toshiba Satellite E305.

Intel i5 Quad-Core @2.3GHz each core.

6GB RAM, 11.9GB total Commit.

Windows 7 HP SP1 64-bit.

Base Score 5.9

1366x768 res, integrated intel GFX.

Said intel GFX chip has 2GB vRAM, and I can't find it's clock-rate.

Really digging this Damizean!

Loving the camera changing elements, Especially the from above view.

I tried to do a super peel out and turned out it was the anti-gravity feature xD

Keep up the work, I hope you plan on releasing this, A lot of good creations could come from this (Y)

Varies between 30-20~15ish for me.

Ran it in Safari via the web player on OS X Lion. I'll edit this post later on after giving this a try in Windows 7 (x64)

Edit (1/24): Fastest up to Simple manages about 60-40fps in 1280x720, and Good and up does ~30fps at the same resolution.

C2D @ 2.26GHz

4GB DDR3 RAM

NVidia GeForce 9400M

Specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz

3.36 GHz CPU Speed

2.1 GB RAM

Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Recommended: (For 60 FPS or better)

Fantastic quality, 512x386; or Simple quality (any resolution)

This is really good. I am running this on a pretty good computer so i dont know if its nescesary for me to share but I will anyway.

AMD phenom II x6 3.2 GHZ

ATI radeon HD 6870

6GB ram

60 fps at full settings

So I am well informed about you taking over the programming role for sonic fan remix, and I gotta say that this engine test controls slightly off compared to it. Sonic fan remix controlled almost exactly like the classics while this seems a bit off. To be more specific, the thing that was most noticable was the air control. It is not so hard to change directions in the classics but here it takes time before he stops and go the other way(from running not rolling). There is probably more, but I don't consider myself a pro in technicalities like this, while you are the one that builds an engine like this, so I think you're probably aware

Lol well... this may come off as a negative post, but i'm actually really positive about the engine. great job damizean