A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Internet censorship could spell the end of fangaming.

Strife

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook and Google won't go dark cause A) they have rivals and B) they make money. Also at this point, Google powers how many of the larger sites? Going down for a day at this point would be like switching off half the internet.

Wikipedia is fairly unique and it runs off donations. They can 'risk' pissing off their userbase for a day because they'll have nowhere else to go.

And since I don't think I have chimed in yet other than "SOPA and PIPA are bad eh?" here is my opinion on piracy and the prevention thereof;

Anti Piracy measures have only ever made life harder for honest paying customers. Put DRM on a game, pirates will crack it. Paying customers gotta live with it. And all those god damn anti piracy ads in front of movies? Pirates don't see that. They hit play and BLAM insta-movie.

If SOPA gets passed, all you'll see is more 'innocent' internet users making a move towards shady stuff like TOR.

The proper way to deal with pirates, at least in games, is to offer incentives to paying customers, rather than penalize everyone. I'm actually a fan of those DLC 'subscription' things you get in games like Mass Effect 2 - buy the game new, you get a bunch of free NONESSENTIAL stuff. Buy it preowned or pirate it, you'll still have the game, you'll just miss out on the trimmings.

Mortal Kombat and those sports games do it wrong; buy the game new and you'll be able to play online, otherwise you gotta pay MORE for that. That's dumb.

I have to admit - I'm a bit startled after seeing all the sites that joined the protests - Wikipedia, Reddit, Vimeo, even Google put up a "bar logo".

Perhaps all the regulars here already know about SOPA and PIPA - still, I added a small link in the Soft series headers, so that those who want to send an email (even if not from the US) can do so.

SonicRetro and SSRG going down were just preaching to the choir really. On the other hand, so is Reddit. Now, Wikipedia and Google were an effective statement since they probably actually helped ignorant people to understand a little bit of the gravity of what was going on... Wikipedia especially since their move was more than just a gesture, it literally took away a service people relied on frequently in a way that ignorant people would be least likely to figure out a way around. I found myself actually getting stopped by the block a couple times while working yesterday. Still, having to wait 5 or 6 hours to download a rom hack is not something to get upset about.

Yeah, i found a way around the wikipedia blackout about 30 seconds after seeing it, but it honestly did surprise me just how many times it stopped me, unintentionally, from what i was doing throughout the day.

You take things for granted these days, i tell ya.

There's quite a bunch of laws and "acts" already working since quite some time.

These allowed this to happen. SOPA & PIPA are evolved versions of sorts.

And that's exactly the problem - If they just shut off MU without SOPA & PIPA in effect, imagine how much of a mess it'd be with them.