A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Internet censorship could spell the end of fangaming.

Strife

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.338656-Lunar-Workshop-games-Protest-SOPA-Pirate-Digitanks

This^

I think this is starting to get out of hand.. I know this sound crazy but this could lead to the end of the internet as we know it..

A world were you can only access certain sites the government will let you.

They want control over us even more? If this goes through then they've got it.

I know I sound like I'm preaching xD But it wouldn't surprise me the slightest.. you cant monitor the whole internet but you can if you designate what sites you can access.

Think about how much stuff goes under the radar that we share over the internet...

All in all i think this is much much deeper then just piracy, I think the whole file sharing thing is just a cover up, you need to look at the big picture in front of us.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that really spurred it. MegaUpload has been in Hollywood's reticles for a while now.

http://kotaku.com/5877996/esa-drops-sopa-support - So yeah, the ESA 'dropped' support for SOPA. Honestly, I still find them a repugnant organization since they did kinda... you know, spend a significant chunk of change lobbying for it in the first place.

And I also notice that we have a Stop Online Censorship link at the top of the page now.

Yeah, I added that link to the header.

I'm going to edit the templates again now, but to remove the report button.

I'm not surprised ESA backed off - Gaming media were very critical of them, with some even refusing to do any coverage of E3.

ACTA does seem pretty bad, but from what I've read, it's already being neutered just like SOPA and PIPA because of the near unanimous disapproval of the European Parliament (which voted against it 663 to 13), which believes that it presents serious issues with freedom of expression and human rights. The "three strikes" provision is out, as is the overlap of criminal and civil cases for infringement.

Also, from what I can gather, ACTA specifically states that "Fair use shall not be circumscribed." This already makes ACTA a heck of a lot better than SOPA or PIPA were, because "circumscribed" means restricted, thus Fair Use would not be restricted under ACTA.

While ACTA does kick the internet in the shin, it doesn't seem like it'll pass with anything more powerful than a bolster to existing copyright laws. I'm still sour about it, though, because it treats people like us as dangerous and threatening when all we're doing is trying to express ourselves and our love for classic gaming.