A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Construct Worlds

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're telling me Construct-2 isn't backwards compatible? Oh, well time to download Construct1 then.

Edit: Okay so I downloaded Construct1, installed all patches and stuff I could find. Try opening the .cap, it'll load till 5% and then says

Error with loading: expecting class (CAnimation), but recieved () 

Fantastic. Not only is construct not backwards compatible it doesn't load things properly either for me.

Okay, so maybe im missing something here.

Why is it so god damn difficult to import sprites into Construct? What is with this crappy image editor?

Do all the files have to be made ready in another environment? Is there some alternate thing i can use to improve the functions of the image editor?

Sonic Construct Worlds Version 0.9

Added in up, down, left and right springs. Both red and yellow. Added in ceiling slope collision so Sonic grabs the ceiling and runs on it when the angles are right. Before I finish, I'll add in working platform objects [not the moving ones. The ones you can jump on from below.] and the diagonal springs.

• 1 month later...

Alright, I've been working on a Construct 2 version of this engine, though I have run into a few hurdles.

What works:

- Angles

- Movement (limited)

- Actions (also to a limited degree)

- Animations

What doesn't work right now:

- I honestly can't tell if the input system is working right or something is just plain off. When trying to get jumping to work, "Key_A" works with only a short hop, but "Key_A_Pressed" doesn't seem to make it work. Bizzare.

- Sonic barely moves when moving left and right, and the Action variable seems to be constantly set on 0. Sonic also not doing his walking/running animations also has some worrying implications.

Hopefully, fixing these problems will hopefully make it work right... Hopefully.

Playable Demo!

Construct 2 .capx, release 90, requires Standard license (also requires the

I ran into the same problem with keyboard input while working on something for a contest... that I never quite followed through on.

Anyway, I'm making a small form example of it and submitting it to their forum as a bug report.

EDIT:

http://www.scirra.com/forum/keyboard-on-pressed-causes-questionable-behavior_topic50019.html

EDIT:

Ok, I've got a response from Scirra's developers on it and it seems we just need to tweak the control code a little. I'll fix this up for you later tonight.

It's still jacked up, but this capx should fix your controller state problems at least.

Two things I had to change basically...

Can't use the On Press event because that is what's known in Construct land as a "Trigger". In otherwords, the instant you press the key, it doesn't matter where Construct is in the event queue, that event is going to be ran.

Also, InputPlayer.player = 1 as the first event condition... doesn't seem to do what I think you think it does. It might just be that object selection doesn't carry through to sub events. I'm not really sure just yet.

SC2W_Better_Slightly.rar

Alright, it definitely works better. Hmm. I'll try and go through the events, see if maybe I should replace all the functions with variables, because the Function plugin might be stuffing things up.

But if the Player variable doesn't work here... Hmm. Looks like I'm gonna have to figure something else out for multiplayer functionality.

Edit: Nope, turns out replacing the functions only makes things worse. Capx updated.

Alright, update. The .capx has been updated, with:

- Input fixed properly, thanks to DW.

- Animations are fixed up and ready to go, though animation speeds do need tweaking, such as running.

Currently, the main issues are stemming from moving on slopes (and possibly on edges). It may be a collision issue, I'm not sure. I sincerely doubt collision polygons are the reason.