A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Construct Worlds

You open it in Construct 2. There's nothing special about opening it as far as I know.

I think the most important difference between the free and paid versions of Construct 2 is the event limit. It's possible some other features might not work as well, but the 100 event limit will basically cripple any effort at making a serious game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, .capx updated, and I have a status report. I think I've isolated the cause of the angle problem.

In the "Calculate Player Angle" section, in the original .cap, there's this:

CalculateAngleClassic.png

In C2:

CalculateAngleC2.png

Note the function at the bottom - it's using an "Else" under a function, and a function within a function is pretty much impossible in C2 because of the way the Function plugin works, so... I had to substitute a variable in there to replace both the function and the else, and use an action to reset the variable after the "function" is completed, which, logically, should function perfectly.

However, turns out it doesn't. I tried the same work-around in the Classic .cap. The results were... Enlightening. It prevents Sonic from rolling while moving on slopes while moving in both engines, but it doesn't cause the angle to go haywire in Classic.

I'm gonna try and get some help from the Scirra forums on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

- The angle problem has been partially fixed. The engine has been re-worked a bit so that there's now an 'angle sensor' to replace the 'pvAngle' variable, which prevented me from using an action would allow me to easily replace RotateAngle() properly. Angles now don't spazz out randomly, meaning stuff like Sonic flying all over the place isn't gonna happen. That being said, for some reason, there are issues, meaning it's still not working properly, but the angles are at least consistent. I suspect collision issues.

- I fixed Sonic not being able to roll while moving. The spin-dash still works oddly, though.

All I need to do now is to fix the remaining problems, and we're golden.

It's a shame you're not working with Construct Classic. I think only you, DW, and Aaron has C2.

I have C2 as well (got it on sale as an impulse buy), I just don't like Construct anything that much because I find its animation editor to be absolute butts.

That's not a shame at all. There is already a port of Sonic Worlds being worked on for Construct Classic and Construct 2 is a generally more professionally oriented tool and needs some love.

Pretty much. It's kinda depressing how not that many people use it, it's a fantastic program.

However, since we're on the subject, I might as well throw out some interesting news. I posted a topic on the Scirra forums outlining some improvements to make to the Platform Behavior, and while I was there, I also devoted a couple of paragraphs and bullet points to the idea of an "Advanced Platform Behavior" that has rotational functionality like Sonic and some other platformers, and a lot of options to allow it to be as versatile as possible.

Now, I didn't directly say "it should be based off Sonic physics", I tried to go the subtle route with that one, but it seems Ashley picked it up right off the bat. He said the Platform Behaviour does need improvements, and he then noted that (I'm paraphrasing here) "replicating Sonic movements could be a tall order, it's a clever movement style that I might not be able to figure out", heavily implying that he'd totally do it if he knew how. So I immediately tossed out links to the Sonic Physics Guide as well as both the Classic and C2 versions of the Construct Sonic engine.

He hasn't replied since his initial reply, which a friend in the Scirra IRC noted isn't unusual of him, but considering he did say he was going to improve the platform behaviour anyway, I have a feeling he might play around with the "Advanced" behaviour idea. Or not. We don't really know, so let's not get our hopes up.

I have C2 as well (got it on sale as an impulse buy), I just don't like Construct anything that much because I find its animation editor to be absolute butts.

MMF2's and Game Maker's are just as bad, if not worse, from my experience.

The sprite editor is one area I'd say MMF leads the pack. GM's sprite editor is just awful, and I wouldn't really say Construct 2 has one. It's not that bad moving your spritework into individual images if you know how to drive photoshop though, and what Construct lacks in image editing tools it sorta makes up for in how it lets you handle collision with sprites as well as hotspot placement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I should probably make a new topic for this now, because it's becoming its own beast (in a way) and advancing beyond its Classic counterpart, but I've decided to leave a few issues behind, such as "snagging" on some curves, the inability to roll after landing on some curves, and stuff. Links in the above post, but now the capx. requires R95, which is the latest and stable release.

Additions:

- Z+Down allows you to fall through platforms.

- Springs

- Sonic can now be hurt (With S3 animations rather than Advance, yes, I'm a bit lazy with that, but I'd rather be coding than doing animations)

- Spikes

- Rings and ring loss

- A few sound effects

- A "Inner_SubStepLimit" fix where the Player would stop moving at speeds higher than that value (seems to cause a couple of minor issues of its own, though, oddly enough)

- Monitors, some of them working fully (the icon doesn't float up and disappear yet, and monitors aren't solid, see issues list)

- Shields with special abilities (Bubble shield ability doesn't work yet for reasons listed below)

- Bumpers, both from Spring Yard and Carnival Night Zones, working more or less perfectly

- Balloons from Carnival Night Zone

- Shoved all the Sonic-specific stuff into its own event sheet, for the sake of organization

New issues:

- I need to figure out how to make solid monitors and the Bubble Shield bounce work without making Sonic automatically go into 'idle' mode upon landing.

- Sonic's sprite lags behind the player object a tad now in some circumstances, for some reason.

• 1 month later...

Alright, since we're in the run-up to SAGE, I figured I might as well try and continue working on this thing and polish it up as much as I can first. So, yeah, new release. Links are two posts up, as before. Release 99 is required.

Additions:

- All monitors work properly now, work-around made so they can be solid

- Bubble shield works now

- Insta-shield implemented

- Several sound effects added, as well as music

- Water fully implemented (bubbles, drowning, etc.) It's not using the "water level" implementation like in Worlds, but it's a bit more flexible in some ways, as you're not limited to a body of water for your level design. I'll probably include the original water level implementation at a later date, though it's hardly necessary right now.

- Speed shoes implemented

- Invincibility implemented

- Super Form implemented

To-Do List:

- Moving platforms

- Enemies

- Tails

- Knuckles

- Other gimmicks

- Probably changing Sonic's sprites to Sonic 3 sprites rather than Advance sprites, for consistency

And in other Construct 2 news, Release 100 is coming in August, which will feature:

- Full native iOS and Android export options (probably)

- WebGL shaders and CSS filter effects

- Windows destop export (using Awesomium, even faster than running games in Chrome), and possibly Mac and Lunix desktop application export as well.

Which will come with an increase in the license prices, mainly due to C2's increasing capabilities and, as of R100, release to a rather diverse range of platforms. All things considered, I think it's rather reasonable.

Oh, and the most recent releases now have actual image editor features. Sweet.

I know, took their time, but they had better things to do. The last three releases were mostly devoted to adding image editor features, they said they're not trying to replace Photoshop or anything, but it's better than MS Paint.

Granted, I don't really see much use in it aside from prototyping visuals, and I already have a bunch of open source placeholder images for that.

• 2 months later...

It's been a couple of months, so... Hoo, boy. I haven't been working on this all that much, because of another disheartening setback (which I'll get to in a moment).

Web playable link, and now an EXE download.

Construct 2 .capx, C2 Release 106, requires Standard license (also requires the Function Plugin)

Not much has really been done, aside from moving platforms (surprisingly simple) and more a proper level framework.

Now, this project has been fraught with problems, but now that there's actually a level framework, it also came with a horrible realisation that even in WebGL, the framerate drops dramatically even with that bare bones of a level. Good grief, there should be no way that the engine should be THAT SLOW. It shouldn't even be a FACTOR in any kind of FPS drop.

I'm at my wit's end, here, honestly. I don't know what to do, it makes me want to scrap the entire thing and start over, but with Streak pretty much inundated with work, and Dami hasn't responded to my PM, I'm pretty much lost. Considering the sheer instability of the project, a total restart is probably for the best, but I wouldn't know where to START, nor how to do things better than the framework I'm already using.

Good grief.

• 9 months later...

terrific bump

I'm wondering if anyone has the original Construct CLASSIC version of this Sonic Worlds port? My recent HDD Failure has left me without it, and all of Streak and Candescence's dropbox links are 404'd. And I don't remember the last time I saw Streak here.

I've been using C2 but honestly...eugh. Reading back through this thread DW seems to have had high hopes for it, but I still don't feel convinced enough.

C2 seems to mostly geared for HTML5 development, though I'm sure Candescence will give like a 2 paragraph speech on how good C2 is (and it is, for what it does). Anyway, I think I may have some lying around.

Guest Mr Lange
terrific bump

I'm wondering if anyone has the original Construct CLASSIC version of this Sonic Worlds port? My recent HDD Failure has left me without it, and all of Streak and Candescence's dropbox links are 404'd. And I don't remember the last time I saw Streak here.

I've been using C2 but honestly...eugh. Reading back through this thread DW seems to have had high hopes for it, but I still don't feel convinced enough.

This is the last version Streak made, adding moving platforms.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92387083/SonicConstruct%20v10.rar

C2 seems to mostly geared for HTML5 development, though I'm sure Candescence will give like a 2 paragraph speech on how good C2 is (and it is, for what it does). Anyway, I think I may have some lying around.

Haha, I'm not gonna go that far, not tonight (I need sleep), but I've pretty much dropped Classic in favour of C2 mainly because the latter isn't a buggy mess (C2 is usually pretty stable even with beta builds, and rather notable bugs get fixed in a day or so, Scirra themselves have admitted that Classic's core coding is kinda janky, partly why they started from scratch for C2), C2 has almost caught up with it feature-wise and introduced other cool features I couldn't imagine working without (they just need to implement debugging and we're good to go, which they're actually planning to do soon), multiplatform on both desktop and web, and Scirra updates with new features and bug-fixes every week (though they haven't released a new beta in 2 weeks, which implies that they've been working on something big and important). Are you going to get as good performance as you would in a Classic runtime? Maybe not, but it's pretty damn close in WebGL, and it's more than enough for a 2D game on a PC. You'll also get way more value for money than you would for MMF2 and Game Maker, that's for sure (oh, hey, multiplatform and web export all in one package, what do ya know). Classic is pretty much stone dead, nobody's updated it in a year.

Though if you want a Sonic engine on C2, you'd have to do it yourself, I've pretty much given up on it, currently working on my own stuff.