A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

That tree house... Maybe you could make the character get inside of it and there would have like that room on Sonic Generations where you can play the soundtrack, see concepts/art etc...

Also I would love to help testing your game, Strife. <3

That tree house... Maybe you could make the character get inside of it and there would have like that room on Sonic Generations where you can play the soundtrack, see concepts/art etc...

Also I would love to help testing your game, Strife. <3

Way ahead of ya. ^_^ Several of the game's cutscenes will take place inside the treehouse. If I have some extra time after everything else in the game is done, I'd also like to add the ability to customize the furniture inside of it (i.e. rearrange and recolor stuff, and buy new stuff with crystals).

Also, thanks!

Thanks Erb!

As far as submitting the game for NGIN, everything should be all set, and I'd like to submit it before the end of this month. I just need to record a new gameplay video that showcases all the changes I've made since the last one, and submit it to them along with a short description of the project. They won't need a playable build until late March, so that should give us a solid month to polish the demo.

The game has now been submitted for NGIN. I really, really hope they're not going to reject it because of the similarities to Sonic (including the remaining sound effects since they can be easily removed/replace). I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

If it's accepted, and if I understand what went on during previous NGIN events, then I'll need to present the game to an audience while answering any questions they might have, after which a playable build will be available for people at the event to try. The whole thing makes me super nervous. ^^; Though, I think I'll feel better about it when I actually start working on a presentation, but of course I'll wait on that until I hear back from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks flame!

A few updates:

- I've been working on some of the locations where cutscenes take place, such as the inside of Lilac's treehouse:

34oznd2.jpg

If you lurk around the Screenshots thread, you might have seen this already. x3

- Just so that I'm clear about who wants to help bugtest, is this list correct?

Kessler12

P3DR0

Sparks

thesuperinvader

- Lastly, new villain:

ncdue1.png

She's supposed to be a panda bear. xD;

Sparks - Okay. ^_^

Sotsug - Coincidentally, that's what I was aiming for, since she relies more on deception than brute force. :3 Also, I don't like the picture much either, so it's just a placeholder for now.

There's a bug with one of my gimmicks that's driving me up the wall:

neug55.png

This floating gimmick has a high vertical speed. When it's moving upwards, the player hooks onto it just fine, but when it moves downwards, the player's sprite becomes offset. I'll have to see if it's an issue with the Worlds engine or if it's caused by my modifications... though I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Worlds since there seems to be issues with moving platforms in general.

Problem solved! For the most part at least. I kinda have to manually offset the player sprite, but hey, it works.

Also, for those who didn't catch it on the screenshots thread:

21jw3m9.png

Stage select screen for Time Attack mode. I'll probably use a different method of selection for Adventure mode.

14sfb5y.png

I don't think this miniboss's weakness is intuitive enough... I'll probably make it vulnerable to normal attacks as well, with the weakness being more a of a time-saver.

On an unrelated note, I've been keeping an eye on the Dragon Valley video on my Youtube page, and recently over half of the views have been from females, mostly in the 13-17 range, which is a noticeable contrast to the 90%+ male viewership during the first couple of months. Just an interesting fact that I felt I should note down.

On an unrelated note, I've been keeping an eye on the Dragon Valley video on my Youtube page, and recently over half of the views have been from females, mostly in the 13-17 range, which is a noticeable contrast to the 90%+ male viewership during the first couple of months. Just an interesting fact that I felt I should note down.
Yeah man, your game is gay. Deal with it.

Jk <3

That stage selection screen looks suberb. Although I think that the blue cristals and the blue borders should be purple as well.

Anyways, can't wait to betatest it, Strife. :3

I've been worried about that myself, actually, since 5 zones would be really tricky with the kind of plot that I want to use. At most, though, I would only want to expand it by one more zone, because I want to get the game done within a realistic timeframe.

If it's any comfort, individual acts after Dragon Valley can take upwards of 10-15 minutes to complete during a normal playthrough, and that's if you don't get stuck somewhere.

Be careful. Stages that drag onward too long can really dull an experience.

I'll take a short, fun stage over an interesting yet overly long one anyday. But i think the middleground's the sweet spot.

That's quite true. I'm trying not to make things feel dragged out by introducing new gimmicks and enemies at a steady pace, but I don't think I'll be able to tell if it works or not until I get the test build ready.

I haven't heard back from NGIN yet about whether or not the game was accepted, so it seems I have more time than I thought. That being the case, I'd really like to try and get Relic Maze in the test build as well.

...Huh. The YouTube video of Dragon Valley is getting a large number of hits from Sonic Retro, but I can't figure out where or why. There's no topic for the game on their forums, nor does there seem to be any active discussion about it.

Anyway, does anyone know how I might be able to evenly space objects along the X axis? I have four objects with ID numbers ranging from 0 to 3, and I want to sandwich them in between two coordinates while keeping them evenly spaced.

Candescene - Thanks! I'm glad you like my drawing style. :D

Falk - I got 60 hits on March 25th and I've been getting around 10-20 hits every day since, compared to 1-3 hits per day beforehand.

Aha! So that explains it. ^_^ Yeah, the snap-to effect is achieved by taking the final angle of the sprite, diving it by 15 and multiplying it by 15 again (or however big you want the steps to be).