A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

Thanks. ^^ At the moment, you'll know what's in the flower because they'll only ever contain petals. I could add a purple version for extra lives in areas where it wouldn't make sense for the 1up fairy to be in a cage.

I'm going to post a thread about the game on TIGSource's forums soon. Once I do, I'll post major updates simultaneously on each thread. I would also like to get a web page made at some point; Just gotta motivate myself to draw layout graphics and such. xD;

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been talking to someone over at the Clickteam forums about the project, and it turns out that the only extension in the Worlds engine that's not iOS compatible is the ValueAdd object. What this means is that if I can rework the engine so that I no longer require Value-Add, I can use the iOS exporter to make it playable on the iPhone.

Currently, Value-Add is used for the following areas:

- Object Linking

- -"ID" for Group.5 objects

- Pushable objects

- - Group.7 objects; "PushID", "Weight.Push", "Weight.Fall"

- - (The last two variables could be changed to fixed values, since

- - everything has the same weight and falling speed so far)

- Platform Sink/Moving Platforms

- - Group.5 objects; "Sink", "Link"

It would seem that only Group.7 and Group.5 objects rely on Value-Add, so if each object has at least a handful of spare alterable values, I could pull it off.

This wouldn't make the game compatible with Flash, though - I would have to remove the String Parser for that as well, unfortunately. But hey, I think a game like this would play really well on an iPhone, so long as it doesn't lag too much. ^^

Awesome. I've been out of the CT forums for a long while - and when I finally return I find that the (really damn old) UBBThreads forum is archived, and a newer one replaced it. I registered my product and then found out about shittons of new projects: The unicode version, iOS Exporter, and even a CROSS-PLATFORM runtime called Anaconda.

These all look very promising, I look forward to Anaconda and the unicode version.

What does ValueAdd exactly do? I'm sure there will be a way to replace its function.

Yeah, it's pretty cool how there's so many exporters coming out for MMF2. Though, unfortunately, I can't afford any of them. I mean, I could buy them, but I would realistically only ever use them for a handful of projects, so I feel like I could use that money for more important things right now. This, of course, means that I will have to rely on someone else to do the exporting work if it comes to that.

As for the Value-Add extension, I've successfully replaced the events it uses and removed it from the game. ^_^

http://www.copenhagengamecollective.org/2012/02/01/nordic-game-indie-night-2012-call-for-submissions/

Seeing how I live in the Nordic region, I may just submit Freedom Planet for the 2012 Nordic Game Indie Night. The deadline is March 12, and I'll need to figure out if I have enough free time to get ready for it. I'd have to make some additional content and get everything in show condition, which means I would need a few bug testers to ensure that nothing goes wrong during the event (as people will be able to play each of the entries).

I'll let you guys know as soon as I've made a decision. :3

This is pretty amazing, it's really well done and extremely polished. I love the idea of the blooming flower containers, and the seamless transition between Act 1/Act 2 is great. It reminds me of the first level in Sonic 3 after the place gets torched. This looks like it's going to be really fun to play through.

I also agree with pretty much everything Duckboy's said in this topic so far. Anddd I'm gonna need to lurk more often. :P

Sparks - Thanks! That's good to know. ^_^

Aaron - Thanks. :D Glad you like so far.

sltest2.png

I've got the title screen and Game Over screens built now. I'd also like to expand the game's controller features so that the player can map actions to any keyboard key or joystick button. I'd like to do it with as few extensions as possible, but I'll probably need the Joypad and Control X objects, neither of which is Flash compatible. Ah well, I could always remove them if I ever decide to do a port, since they won't be needed anyway.

I should also get around to making a new way to pause the game, since it currently uses MMF2's default "Pause application" action which can only use a specific keyboard key. The sooner I can get that out of the way, the better.

It would probably be a good time to mention that the "DEMO" doesn't mean anything as far as releasing a demo soon; I still plan on waiting until SAGE for the first public release, but I need to get one ready sooner for NGIN. If you'd like to try it sooner, though, feel free to volunteer as a tester. ^^

EDIT: Thanks for the pointer, gsoft. I would like to avoid using subapps if possible so that I can export later on if needed.

Deactivating groups to pause the game actually isn't that difficult once you get used to it - the main issue is making sure that all of your objects stop their animations, and objects that use the default Clickteam movements would need to be stopped and then started again. So, its main difficulty lies in its tediousness to implement.

Earlier today, I remembered that back when I was working with MCKaosu on Sonic Zero, he sent me a build of the game that included an elaborate controller input system for Sonic Worlds:

szeroconfig.png

Anyone who's tried out the latest version of Sonic Zero might recognize this screen. It gives you complete customization of the game's controls, including support for keyboard, joypad, and mouse buttons and the ability to save control setups into separate profiles.

Needless to say, I've migrated this system into Freedom Planet... partially. Because of my personal tweaks to the Worlds engine, I won't be able to use force feedback, and I'm leaving the rumble feature out until I actually get a controller to test it with. Those features aren't a necessity anyway.

So, we now have full keyboard and joypad support. :,D

Earlier today, I remembered that back when I was working with MCKaosu on Sonic Zero, he sent me a build of the game that included an elaborate controller input system for Sonic Worlds:

[qimg]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1859/szeroconfig.png[/qimg]

Anyone who's tried out the latest version of Sonic Zero might recognize this screen. It gives you complete customization of the game's controls, including support for keyboard, joypad, and mouse buttons and the ability to save control setups into separate profiles.

Needless to say, I've migrated this system into Freedom Planet... partially. Because of my personal tweaks to the Worlds engine, I won't be able to use force feedback, and I'm leaving the rumble feature out until I actually get a controller to test it with. Those features aren't a necessity anyway.

So, we now have full keyboard and joypad support. :,D

I don't remember you asking to use the key mapping system. Or at the very least, asking me personally.

I don't remember you asking to use the key mapping system. Or at the very least, asking me personally.

I didn't? Oh dear... I think I must have confused that with when I was asking about using the Sonic Worlds engine in general (since the author information includes you, Damizean and LarkSS).

In that case, I must apologize, and I request both your forgiveness in the matter and for usage of the mapping system for this project. Depending on who I need to get permission from, I could revert back to my backup save from before I started implementing it.

I didn't? Oh dear... I think I must have confused that with when I was asking about using the Sonic Worlds engine in general (since the author information includes you, Damizean and LarkSS).

In that case, I must apologize, and I request both your forgiveness in the matter and for usage of the mapping system for this project. Depending on who I need to get permission from, I could revert back to my backup save from before I started implementing it.

You need the primary permission from me if you want to use the key mapping system right now. Depending on what build of it you got, it's not yet in proper condition for outside use as of yet. Again, I just need you to ask me for permission next time.

You need the primary permission from me if you want to use the key mapping system right now. Depending on what build of it you got, it's not yet in proper condition for outside use as of yet. Again, I just need you to ask me for permission next time.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I remember somebody on the forums saying that the mapping system would be included in a future version of the Worlds engine, so I assumed that it would be okay to use this earlier version. I should've double-checked my sources on that one.

The build I have is named "SZR January Build", though it gives no specific version number. If this version is okay for me to use, I'll put your name on the mapping frame so it's clear that I wasn't the one who made it (aside from changing the layout).

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I remember somebody on the forums saying that the mapping system would be included in a future version of the Worlds engine, so I assumed that it would be okay to use this earlier version. I should've double-checked my sources on that one.

The build I have is named "SZR January Build", though it gives no specific version number. If this version is okay for me to use, I'll put your name on the mapping frame so it's clear that I wasn't the one who made it (aside from changing the layout).

Put it under the name of LarkSS, not mine. He did help construct a lot of details into the mapping system, So he deserves the credit.

And to clear up everything Else, the mapping system will be in the main worlds Engine, but not as it is right now. It will be released when it's ready, but not before, and NOT for everyone.

Put it under the name of LarkSS, not mine. He did help construct a lot of details into the mapping system, So he deserves the credit.

And to clear up everything Else, the mapping system will be in the main worlds Engine, but not as it is right now. It will be released when it's ready, but not before, and NOT for everyone.

Will do! Thank you muchly.

On a different note, I'm considering commissioning an artist to help me out with the larger game drawings (such as the "box art" and various images for a future SAGE booth). If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear 'em. ^_^ I've already found a few people on DeviantArt that I'm considering. (I'm uncertain about Ziyo Ling since she doesn't do complex backgrounds, only characters.)

In any case, I'll most likely try it myself first, and only resort to commissioning if it's clear that I won't be able to achieve the kind of quality I'm looking for.

sltest2.png

Lilac's Treehouse, which is the first hub/Adventure Field. While in adventure fields, the timer is replaced with a crystal count.

I don't really like the idea of the background being a palette swap of Relic Maze, but on the other hand, I like how natural it looks...

The NGIN build is almost ready for testing. I'm currently finishing the menu interface and adding a system for saving best times. After that, it should be enough.

As I've stated before, the demo will only be available to testers, so let me know if you'd like to help out.

[qimg]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3484/sltest2.png[/qimg]

Lilac's Treehouse, which is the first hub/Adventure Field. While in adventure fields, the timer is replaced with a crystal count.

I don't really like the idea of the background being a palette swap of Relic Maze, but on the other hand, I like how natural it looks...

Sexy Sprites Strife!. But this screens, its look like Mystic Ruins from Sonic Adventure :P (MuchAdventureforme)