A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

Duckboy - Oh dear! That bug has to be fixed. xD I'm trying to replicate myself but without luck... did that spiky palm tree hit you while you were climbing up or something?

In any case, thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed the demo! ^_^

EightBitDragon - Wow, that's incredible! If only you were to finish the spikes, then she'd look spot-on. =D It's so cool to see her in 3D.

I actually managed to replicate the glitch. JUMP, and then press DOWN as you hit the ladder. With some luck, you should get stuck. I'm not entirely sure if that's how you got stuck, but if it wasn't, then I just discovered a new glitch. It works on the other ladders.

And with Carol, though getting it to work with her is much harder. Most times she simply does the climbing animation over and over again without actually moving. Unlike the above glitch, you can free yourself from it by moving.

No matter how many times I try, I can never get Carol up that final slope in the boulder-dash without her getting hit. Is it impossible, or is there some other arbitrary reason?

EDIT: Also tapping and letting go of down also does the trick quite nicely. Sometimes.

I actually found Carol to be easier when dealing with the boulder and final boss of the stage than Lilac even though it takes more hits to kill things with her, and she's not as fast. She plays differently enough that it feels fresh going through the stage again too. Nice work there.

Thanks guys! I'll get to work on that ladder glitch. ^^

The feedback I've gotten has been overwhelmingly positive... almost to the point of surrealism. I didn't quite expect to receive so much support, so, my thanks goes out to everyone who helped out so far and tried out the game.

That being said, the most common criticism I've gotten is with the difficulty, along with a couple of glitches here or there. So I'll be releasing an update soon with the following adjustments:

- Logs will always fall over when hit with a roll, no matter how fast you're travelling.

- Minor physics adjustments during the boulder chase so that the boulder can still be outrun if you jump or roll.

- During the end-of-level boss fight, the falling boulders will be destructible with normal attacks. In the current build, only rolling into a ball or boosting will destroy them.

- During the end-of-level boss fight, damage from all of the boss's attacks will be cut in half, so while the boss itself will behave the same, players will be allowed to make a lot more mistakes. This combined with the fact that boulders will be easier to destroy should help make it more fair for an entry-level boss.

I just read your comment at retro about the difficulty. If you ask me, the difficulty is good. The people who would complain about such a thing are used to playing easy games that don't require mastering, but this game does requires some time to master. I had a hard time with the bosses and some of the enemies because I still hadn't mastered the controls, but it becomes easy once you do. I mean, what is the problem with dying at the first level, being forced to play better to progress? See that's what potentially is going to make freedom planet a great game, because everything about your game makes it worth it to progress.

If you would adjust the difficulty, I hope it would only be slightly. Just wanted to say this :P

a friend of mine is having an issue due to a missing joystick.mfx file. any idea what that means?

Make sure that xinput1_3.dll is in your system directory (which is usually located in C:\Windows\system32). The file should be included with Freedom Planet, but if not, you can find it here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?xinput1_3

If the message doesn't go away after this, try disabling your firewall. If that doesn't work, update your system to the latest version of DirectX. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

@Djawed - Those are some valid points, but I think I'd like to cut players some slack in the first stage. I find that it's generally a good idea to make the first stage easy yet fun, so that it gives the player confidence in their ability to master the game mechanics and motivates them to continue further. If they die too much on the first stage, they might assume that the entire game is going to be just as difficult and give up.

Of course, I'm not going to change much; I'll probably just reduce the damage that the boss does so that the player is allowed to make a lot more mistakes. It won't feel much easier, but they'll be more likely to pass the stage.

You wouldn't be the first one, actually. xD I wonder if I should put arrow markings on the logs to kinda hint to the player that it can be pushed like the gray block earlier in the stage.

Have you ever seen Egoraptor's Sequelitis of Mega Man? Take lessons from that and subtly teach the player that instead of making it blatantly obvious.

I just read your comment at retro about the difficulty. If you ask me, the difficulty is good. The people who would complain about such a thing are used to playing easy games that don't require mastering, but this game does requires some time to master. I had a hard time with the bosses and some of the enemies because I still hadn't mastered the controls, but it becomes easy once you do. I mean, what is the problem with dying at the first level, being forced to play better to progress? See that's what potentially is going to make freedom planet a great game, because everything about your game makes it worth it to progress.

If you would adjust the difficulty, I hope it would only be slightly. Just wanted to say this :P

This is a dumb viewpoint. There's a reason games are typically easier during the first several stages, or that there are difficulty modes, or games like WoW have way to play content at an easy not-challenging pace. What's the problem with dying at the first level? There really isn't one, but getting your ass handed to you by the first stage or first stage boss is a problem. Not that the stage was really that difficult but still you see what I'm saying. I'm sick of the "oh it's too hard for you lil' baby? Stop being such a baby and just play better." mentality with a lot of gamers today. This game isn't Super Meat Boy (please don't make it anywhere near that hard Strife).

Anyway I'll stop before I end up flying off into a "casual games are where your major audiences are" rant in Strife's thread. I think some kind of indicator that you can push the log out of the way would help. I too got stuck in that spot forever :P

Maybe you could have a section at the beginning of the stage where you have to push an already fallen down log out of the way to progress so they know you can do that? Then you're not stuck with a barrel-in-carnival-night-zone situation

I didn't lose too much time at the "push the log" part because I actually moved it a bit by pure accident, but it would help if some flashing arrow blinks over the log right after knocking it down.

Otherwise, put some petals or spheres right under the log so that the player will try to reach these.

I agree that difficulty is okay. It's not that hard for a first level - people who are complaining must be used to the first level of a sonic game being a 50 second "hold right" kind of section. Even though this game uses Worlds, there's rolling, and curved slopes appear around the level, it is necessary to drop the sonic feeling and remember that combat is quite integral to the game.

Once you consider this, it's a lot easier to play and enjoy.

Strife I had a blast with the demo and I gotta say if you managed to remove all the sonic references and made this game into its own universe you could easily sell this game on steam and desura to all the 2d game fans and actually get some money for your hard earned work. It's just a thought, I'd be more than willing to shell out some cash for a game as beautiful and old school as this. It feels like an homage to all the classics on sega genesis!.

I'd rather keep the difficulty as it is. It's the first level, but it's refreshing to have a Sonic-style game that isn't depressingly easy (well, that is, one that doesn't rely on bottomless pits for its difficulty). The health bar alone does wonders for the game's difficulty, much better than the rings system.

Also, how the heck do you unlock Carol? I've already gotten all the cards...

This is a dumb viewpoint. There's a reason games are typically easier during the first several stages, or that there are difficulty modes, or games like WoW have way to play content at an easy not-challenging pace. What's the problem with dying at the first level? There really isn't one, but getting your ass handed to you by the first stage or first stage boss is a problem. Not that the stage was really that difficult but still you see what I'm saying. I'm sick of the "oh it's too hard for you lil' baby? Stop being such a baby and just play better." mentality with a lot of gamers today. This game isn't Super Meat Boy (please don't make it anywhere near that hard Strife).

Anyway I'll stop before I end up flying off into a "casual games are where your major audiences are" rant in Strife's thread. I think some kind of indicator that you can push the log out of the way would help. I too got stuck in that spot forever :P

Maybe you could have a section at the beginning of the stage where you have to push an already fallen down log out of the way to progress so they know you can do that? Then you're not stuck with a barrel-in-carnival-night-zone situation

I think you took my post the wrong way so no nEed to be angry. All I was saying is that I and some others find satisfaction when games straight up encourage us to play at our best. If you don't agree, that is fine. No need to call it dumb ya know.

@Strife

That seems like a very reasonable decision