A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CD Remake Thread

luksamuk

What the fuck game are you playing? This remake supports widescreen.

I love the way you talk to me, Slingerland :V

I am playing the Demo for Xbox LIVE Arcade. My TV is a fullscreen non-full-HD 32" LCD. My Xbox settings are also set to Fullscreen. Still the game is centered with a black border on all four corners.

EDIT: DAT "I'M OUTTA HERE"

So I got the game and am enjoying it alot.

The physics are really noticable, especially when you go back and play the original. The special stages are smoother than ever.

A lot of props to taxman imo. Making a game is hard, but making a carbon copy from the ground up (improved even) is I think even harder.

Edit: Is it me or is there no sound effect when sonic just "plainly" rolls? If so, has that always been the case(in the original)?

It doesn't sound right to me

I'm pretty freakin impressed at how butter smooth this game runs on my ipod touch 2nd gen. I thought maybe I may get some lag here and there from it not being on of them Fancy new ipod touch's with the camera and faster processor, but as of this writing I experienced nothing but sexiness. Not to mention this game makes my dick rock hard from all the extras. Plays much better than any of the other sonic games on ios. Well done Taxman.

Sega should totally consider porting s3k to ios using this engine (retro engine? I forget what it's called)

Edit: Is it me or is there no sound effect when sonic just "plainly" rolls? If so, has that always been the case(in the original)?

It doesn't sound right to me

There wasn't SFX on that on Sega CD. In other words, this is normal.

God I'm old.

Sonic CD on PSN, you say? In the US, it comes on the 20th. In Europe, well, it's already out. And yes, it's now out on Android and iOS. I grabbed the iOS version and it runs super smooth. Do note that iOS 5's notifications usually tend to incur a rather small drop in framerate, but it's not too bad. :I

Honestly this remake has made me realise why this game has been considered the best in the franchise. When it comes to replayability, there is sooo much to do in this game. From level exploration to just simply going through the game again and again and get challenged once more. The advancements in this remake really changed this into my favourite sonic game now.

What is non-full-HD? Do you mean 720p? The only reason I can think of for it to go all cropped on you would be if you were in something more like 480p mode, which isn't 'non-full-HD', it's just plain old not HD.

The TV box says it doesn't support full-HD, what means it supports 720p or 1080i, but not 1080p.

I don't give a fuck about this, brazillian sellers are dumb and never give us the right answers.

EDIT: Man, I just noticed that the controls are much more tight than with those Sonic 1, 2, 3 and S&K ports (the so called Sega Vintage Collection). In these games I just mentioned, Sonic seems so... heavy

The TV box says it doesn't support full-HD, what means it supports 720p or 1080i, but not 1080p.

I don't give a fuck about this, brazillian sellers are dumb and never give us the right answers.

EDIT: Man, I just noticed that the controls are much more tight than with those Sonic 1, 2, 3 and S&K ports (the so called Sega Vintage Collection). In these games I just mentioned, Sonic seems so... heavy

I thought those were just emulations? Surely the physics would be the same as the original...

(btw, is it just me or is the DAC channel in the Vintage Collection emulator REALLY loud?)

I thought those were just emulations? Surely the physics would be the same as the original...

(btw, is it just me or is the DAC channel in the Vintage Collection emulator REALLY loud?)

Either really loud or really low.

The how much I increase the volume to play S1 is an absurd. Although it seems like it's been corrected - but only on S3 and S&K.

Yah, maybe the emulation causes the delay and the sticky feeling, after all.

What crack are you smoking and where can I get it? No offense, but Sonic CD, IMO, is up there with the Genesis games in quality (Hell, it was made in the same era, too! 1993 ftw). :/ Plus, the Retro Engine created by Taxman was used in this very remake of Sonic CD. Well, Taxman himself was working on this.

Tailsena wouldn't that suggest you don't like the classic era of sonic games? I have to agree with DJ Espeed here, it's one of my fave sonic games and definitely as good as the original 4.

That doesn't suggest that at all.

....in fact, to be completely honest, i don't even know if i've ever even completed Sonic CD in one go before. If I have, it's only been like twice or so.

The only classic game i really hold Sonic CD above is Sonic 1. Maybe Chaotix? But i've never beaten Chaotix before. I enjoyed 2, 3, S&K, and Sonic Advance over Sonic CD. I even enjoyed Rush over CD.

I just really disliked the time travel thing. It made me feel like i couldn't fully enjoy the stage because i had to watch my step and not run into a completely useless Future sign, or miss the past sign. Then i had to go to the past and make sure i didn't miss the shit i had to find there. And then there were the time stones, which didn't give you Supersonic like they did in Sonic 2. And if i missed anything, i was penalized with an ugly bad future stage complete with a boss running on high ocatane nightmare fuel should i lose the fight with the shitty american soundtrack.

The JP/EU soundtrack makes the game multiple times more fun, but thats about it for me. I do not dislike the game, i just don't think it's as good as Sonic 2 or anything above that.

Edit: Doh, i've beaten CD, i just forgot about it. I can't remember what the final boss looks like, but i remember seeing the ending.

I'm also in the category of people who enjoyed Sonic CD significantly less than the other Sonic games. I alternate between putting it above or below Sonic 1, but both of those fall significantly below Sonic 2 and 3/K for me. I don't really think Sonic CD has the universal appeal of the later Genesis games.

It wasn't about time travel for me. That was more or less just a pointless diversion. For me the biggest issue with CD was confusing layouts that I just didn't care much for. There is a lot of awesome stuff in the game though. Probably my favorite thing about the game are some of the weirder bosses and how they gradually break down as you fight them. There are also a few really neat gimmicks in the game, though some of them have a few delivery issues.

@Serephim: It's a medium sized pod with 4 fan blades that spin around it while it wanders around the stage and fights you strictly with the annoying power of only being vulnerable once in a great while. Easily the most underwhelming final boss in any Sonic game.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I did buy this game today for my iPad (2 bucks to show my support in a heavily tracked medium? Sure!) and I'll probably be grabbing it on PSN eventually as well. The quality of the remake is basically awesome and some aspects, like the special stages, are actually better than the original. I'd highly recommend it for anyone really. I'm not exactly proficient with iPad controls, but I didn't have any trouble clearing the game.

It's probably the best platformer I have on my iPod.

However, like all platformers on the iPod, the on-screen controller is not as nice as a real one. The jump button sometimes likes to not respond. Not a problem with the software....just the hardware.

Still, it's pretty playable, so that's good. I'd recommend it.