A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Minecraft: Come Play With Us!

Minecraft: It's only hot if

Anywho, I found out that there's a free version, which browser-based. I suppose this can pass the time until I can buy it. =/

Smidge, was that the embodiment of awesome I just saw there*? I think so.

Edit: *In the above screenshot by DW

Edit 2: I tried Minecraft Classic. It's pretty neat, and I'll have to consider "upgrading" to alpha. Worked pretty fine on my MacBook, although the audio could've run a little better.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know all about Pigs jacking my fuckin' minecarts. It's the bane of the game really. I mean, you have no idea how hard it is to have a functioning railway complete with multiple junctions when those fucking pigs show up to ruin your day every few seconds.

In other news, I've begun work on a massive tasteless Minecraft McMansion on Smidge's server. My house on the other sever is much sexier of course...

better opening area

smidgecraft.png

pretty awful mansion shot (yeah, this is probably going to suck)

smidgeservermansion.png

It's not mine, Smidge made it. Besides, it's just a flat sprite essentially... no different than making a threaded bead thingy from a sprite. Hardest part is picking the right colors for everything really.

Now, what's far more impressive than those is the giant Tails statue that was being worked on that I saw.

Yeah, I noticed the gigantic Tails statue. Holy cow.

Also, what the hell is up with Smidge's server and dungeons? I've found one in a tunnel someone else made, another while sailing alongside the coast because I heard zombie moans, and then while I got lost in another tunnel, I hear goddamned spiders. Seriously.

Obsidian - Black

Stone - Dark Gray

Iron - Medium Gray

Cloth - Light Gray

Snow - White

Gold - Yellow/Orange

Sponge - Lighter yellow

Wood - Pale yellow

Log - Brown/Dark Red (mostly brown)

Brick - Red

Dirt - Light Brown

Leaves - Green (Can't use cactus due to adjacent blocks)

You can get various shades of blue by using ice (which is translucent) and placing "gray shade" blocks behind it. This is the trick I used for the eggmobile's seat. Works great but of course it's two thick in those spots...

But yeah, making the 2D sprites isn't that hard once you get your palette sorted. I use a zoning method: divide the sprite into 10x10 chunks and fill in each row of one chunk at a time (I used glass filler when the chunk had empty space). The hard part is keeping track of where you are, since it's impossible to see much of what you're doing when you're close enough to work on it.

That, and having to climb back to the top after falling. LOTS of falling...

Here's some screencaps I took before tearing down the scaffolding:

eggmobile.png

=Smidge=

My bro just did me a favor and downloaded Minecraft, but the premium account model sucks*. I need to get myself up to that level to use it (FACK). So, for the time being until I have upgraded my account to premium, I have a useless app.

*But for Notch, it rocks, 'cause it's funding this piece of awesomeness, and he deserves it.

Edit: Looks like my bro will let me use his account (UBRz). Yay!

Cause he's lazy and cheap. *He's trying to save money for whatever endeavor he's trying to save up for.

Technically speaking, I can buy it, just with what I have in both my checking and savings, but I need to build up some money in my savings and I need the money in checking for my Netflix (I stayed on after the 1 month free trial). My family is loving the service.