A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Minecraft: Come Play With Us!

So first of all, for those of you who don't know what Minecraft is, it's kinda hard to explain. Here's a fan made trailer that isn't too bad:

Imagine a sandbox world. This world is made up of blocks. An endless world that is literally endless. During the day, you can craft and build tools, armor, swords, minecarts, death machines, castles, siege cannons and endless other possibilities. The limit is your imagination. Good thing too, because when night falls, the living dead arise from their slumber, hungry for the flesh of the living. Can you survive?

It's rather cheap and you should totally buy it. If you really want to play but can't pay for it for some reason, PM me and I'll see if we can figure something out for ya. If you don't like the graphics, the textures are totally modable and easily improved.

http://www.minecraft.net

Anyway, Smidge has been bad ass enough to throw together a server for us to play on for those of us who already have the game. Me and Smidge have been glued to this game for a good while now and I gotta say, it's nothing short of amazing. So, we came up with the idea of an SFGHQ minecraft server! So come on everyone, let's build something epic together! =O

Server IP:

Smidge204.homeftp.net

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I bought the game 3 days ago! Me and SG been wondering whether to make a thread here regarding it.

If you guys wanna buy it cheap, you better hurry because it'll go full-price on Halloween and cost $20 instead of the current $10.

Is the server creative or survival? Any special rules or whitelist?

Hey, I bought the game 3 days ago! Me and SG been wondering whether to make a thread here regarding it.

If you guys wanna buy it cheap, you better hurry because it'll go full-price on Halloween and cost $20 instead of the current $10.

Is the server creative or survival? Any special rules or whitelist?

It's a survival server, only rules are don't fuck up the spawn, steal, be a douchebag, etc.

And it won't go full price on Halloween, it MIGHT go into beta and be 15 but probably not yet. Multi player has a shot at having working mobs though.

Wow Minecraft sure has been spreading around. I found out about it myself because a friend at college would play the online version during class.

Has anyone seen the guy working on a 16bit computer Minecraft map? =E

If you don't like the graphics, the textures are totally modable and easily improved.

Adding to this, there was an unofficial patch released earlier this month which corrects some issues with high res textures among other things. I haven't played with the default texture set since.

Behold! My treehouse!

[qimg]http://i56.tinypic.com/2yo62s4.jpg[/qimg]

Also, you guys seen BlazeHedgehog's stuff? Check it out:

One last thing for shits and giggles; Minecraft does Bioshock: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/minecraft-welcomes-you-to-rapture

Me thinks you need to see some of smidge's stuff, like his roller rail cart system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjWwgeqEhn0

http://kotaku.com/5669766/minecraft-under-siege-by-angry-addicts-demanding-more-updates?skyline=true&s=i

I'll quote the important part:

Minecraft is currently experiencing a stimulation provided by us.

It's purpose is to send Notch a clear message of how the future of minecraft will turn out unless he gets to work, namely by influencing the amount of sales taking place, due to the attacks.

Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them.

We have roughly 83,000 bots available, and preserved for this seizure, we could if we wanted to keep this going for weeks, however we have decided to give it a week, and see whether or not your attitude, and commitment will change, we believe it will when money stops rolling in for the time being...

anyhow, no we're not from roblox, or any other minecraft clone, not to mention none of us have been around 4chan for years, and nor has any real 4channers for that matter, its all newfags now, and has been for quite a few years.

I uh what.

EDIT: oh and Minecraft rules

I play with Ila and his friends on that private server. Likewise I might swing around once in a while, but I've put too much work into my incredibly sexy house to really set up elsewhere.

minecraft1j.png

Front Door from the entry path. My house is hidden in a dense forest that I planted and then twisted into something more resembling a jungle. It's also on top of a mountain, which I guess means it's a mountain-top forest!

Actually, the others complain that clouds poke through my house, but the clouds are above my house when I play, so I can't really figure out what's going on there.

minecraft2a.png

Rear view of the house from the deck. The deck wraps all the way around to the entrance on both sides.

minecraft3b.png

Side View featuring the tower of the brick oven

minecraft4.png Indoor at the front entrance. There is a chandelier and a fireplace. There used to be a bed, but I took that out because it seemed out of place at the entrance... so there aren't any bed areas in the house for now, which is also weird.

minecraft5.png

Taking the ladder up the fireplace reveals the attic. Main purpose of the attic is to store my valuables in two large chests, one of which is hidden, and one of which is sealed and requires major deconstruction to access.

minecraft6.png

Back on the first floor, where I'm setting up to have a restaraunt for when food becomes a needed resource (once damage is working online and enemies actually show up). We'll probably have some kind of currency later, and if not, I can always just have people shovel gold in my mouth. I know I need enough of it.

minecraft7.png

On the inside of the kitchen. It features a rather large brick oven as well as counters. Once the ability to use buckets works properly online I'll also include a sink and a reservoir will be added to the house

minecraft8.png

Stairway to the downstairs area

minecraft9.png

Going downstairs reveals a rather spiffy lounge with a glass outlook into the valley

minecraft10.png

The lounge also sports a jukebox and a look into where I caved my initials into the side of the mountain and lit it up like a jackolantern

minecraft11.png

Pathway into the place where I'll be building a rollercoaster if they ever fix that online. Still need more gold to finish it though.

minecraft12c.png

Tunnel way for where the rollercoaster is planned to go. It also goes back the otherway and hopefully will be able to loop throughout the entire mountain range. Then I'll just need to put in some breaks in the entrance way.

That's about it really. It's fairly small, but it's got a lot of character. I feel.

EDIT: Actually, one more... a glimpse of the roof by day:

minecraft13.png

Holy shit, DW that is epic. Same goes for all of the other awesome minecraft workings I saw. I'm not convinced to play it, however. As awesome as it is, I just see no point in playing it. Hopefully you guys will not give me the reaction the angry (and stupid) fanboys and girls gave Brad on TSS about his opinion on Sonic 4. While I think it's amazing what people can do with Minecraft, I don't see myself getting caught up in games like this. My brother would get along fine with you guys, as he plays this on a regular basis.

Holy shit, DW that is epic. Same goes for all of the other awesome minecraft workings I saw. I'm not convinced to play it, however. As awesome as it is, I just see no point in playing it. Hopefully you guys will not give me the reaction the angry (and stupid) fanboys and girls gave Brad on TSS about his opinion on Sonic 4. While I think it's amazing what people can do with Minecraft, I don't see myself getting caught up in games like this. My brother would get along fine with you guys, as he plays this on a regular basis.

Oh, don't worry, I realize that minecraft isn't for everyone.

Neither are legos.

But I can safely say that everyone for whom legos are, minecraft is too.

@Lark: Nah, I'm not much into flaming toilets. If I do make a toilet though, it'll come complete with plumbing and maybe even flush!

My latest work? I'm starting on laying out a Zelda style dungeon that won't work at all unless they fix the online survival mode stuff like switches, mine carts, buckets, etc etc.

Oh, and here are some snaps of Ila's Scottplex.

Ilaplex from the side

ilaplex1.png

Ila's entrance way shows off the thousands of tons of sand he killed making his house.

ilaplex2.png

The inside of Ila's house. That one area has a ton of torches. I think Ila is afraid of the dark.

ilaplex3.png

The ladder goes to a series of empty rooms each more empty than the last. Ila's got a lot of room to expand. You could fit like 50 immigrant families in here. To contrast, I could only stuff like 12 Anne Franks in my attic.

ilaplex4.png

The current highlight of Ila's house is an awesome tree encased in a giant glass room.

ilaplex5.png

And here it is from just below.

ilaplex6.png

Oh, don't worry, I realize that minecraft isn't for everyone.

Neither are legos.

But I can safely say that everyone for whom legos are, minecraft is too.

Man, it's been a long time since I played with Legos. I remember my brother and I would try and make buildings, cars, and planes with them (Legos ftw). I've also made a few device cradles in my later years of playing with them, my last one being an iPod Touch dock with the cable in it, although I couldn't seem to get that wire to not move about in there.

Anywho, I suppose once I can secure some income I shall invest in this game, despite the comments I made in the other post. No, I'm not having a change of heart. And I quote myself:

While I think it's amazing what people can do with Minecraft, I don't see myself getting caught up in games like this.
Edit: Philosophically, you could interpret my quote as wrong, but I assure you, I meant that I don't see myself spending gratuitous quantities of hours or days playing this game.

If I do get this game, I just won't play it on the level of frequency that you guys probably do, not that I'm trying to insult or question anything in this regard.

This game is a fucking magical time vampire, and I love every second of it!

I've owned this game since about June I believe, and have bought it for at least 4 birthday presents (they all love it too). After the craze spread around to my friends, we finally put up our own private server. I'll snag some pictures of our master pieces (I made a floating island!) later on.

If you guys haven't seen it yet, http://painterlypack.net/ this is a fantastic texture pack that's fully customizable, with awesome armor swaps as well. EVERYONE needs to at least look at the options available.

That article is a fantastic read btw. Obsidian will finally have a use other than for looking cool and taking forever to break down. Portals are going to be made by the player both in the hell world and out. Notch is apparently hashing out biomes finally, which means your world will have snowy patches, desert patches, regular patches of land, it's going to be awesome!