A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Colors Thread

Pretty much, yeah. Sonic Unleashed was a racing game in the guise of a platformer, with a 'car' that had abysmal handling. Don't get me started on the horrific level design, either. Even without the Werehog, the 360 version just wasn't fun at all to play. Say what you will about the Wii version, it was actually fun, fair, and, well, actually had a decent final boss.

Pretty much, yeah. Sonic Unleashed was a racing game in the guise of a platformer, with a 'car' that had abysmal handling. Don't get me started on the horrific level design, either. Even without the Werehog, the 360 version just wasn't fun at all to play. Say what you will about the Wii version, it was actually fun, fair, and, well, actually had a decent final boss.

Sonic Unleashed was OK for me. And so the Werehog (BUT ONLY ON THE X360/PS3 VERSION). I didn't have too much to complain about it. I died more in my Sonic 2006 first-play than in Unleashed. Leveldesign was, in overall, ok for me - but I must agree with Candescence about the shitty and hard last boss. I had to learn all the positions of the buttons of a console I've just BOUGHT. Fuck Dark Gaia.

Well they aimed at the younger audience, apparently they got the notion that they will NEVER be able to please the older classic fans becuz they complain about every little thing.... if its fixed then they find something else wrong with it

I dont know what Sonic games you've been playing, but they haven't fixed anything. I cant think of a single thing that's been fixed since the release of Sonic Adventure 2, save for maybe more solid collision detection.

They dont fix things. It's almost like they've never tried. All they do is compensate, compensate, compensate, simplify, simplify, simplify. When we say "more like classic games", they say "let's put Green Hill backgrounds and old Sonic 1 & 2 enemies in the game", or "Lets change the checkpoints back to the original lampposts, or something else for nostalgic effect". They haven't improved the GAMEPLAY of this franchise in years.

Which to me, sounds they got it right on the head, iv read some of this thread and tons of them on the sega forums... now those ppl just wont be happy unless they cant hate on somethin...

But who cares who its aimed at, iizuka said it will please all ages so thats good enough for me

Somehow i doubt it. Im pretty sure Super Mario Brothers was made for little kids as well, but you see how well Nintendo is doing with that, dont you? Saying "it was designed for little kids so the physics is garbage" is the most pathetic shit i've heard in a long time, dude.

Sonic the Hedgehog stopped being a platformer a long time ago. All you do is hold forward (well, now just the Boost button), move to the sides and mash the homing attack button. It was made worse by the introduction of Rails that move you through the level, and even WORSE by these "quicktime" events. When the fuck do i get to control sonic? Seriously?

I remember a long time ago, the first few demos for Sonic and the Secret Rings were being shown. It had a bit of jumping and platforming involved. Fast forward a few months, the level was the EXACT same, except where you would control sonic forward on a stretch of land or near the water, they stuck RAILS there that would shoot you forward instead of just letting you run. These people are just complete ass at making these games. He doesn't run across LEVELS anymore, he just runs across paths. Sonic Colors introduced a few new abilities, but it's just a different way to do more of the same thing. These abilities are no different then some gimmicky switch or something to slow you down for a mere 5 seconds before a ramp shoots you off into a quicktime segment which lands you on a rail with speeders and a loop.

Sonic Team follows this pattern with all the games they make now. They just compensate instead of actually changing things, i guess in fear that they'll actually have to do something other than what they've been doing for the last 9 years.

Serephim;131074]When we say "more like classic games", they say "let's put Green Hill backgrounds and old Sonic 1 & 2 enemies in the game", or "Lets change the checkpoints back to the original lampposts, or something else for nostalgic effect". They haven't improved the GAMEPLAY of this franchise in years.

How the hell would lamposts designs effect the enjoyment of game?! Seriously?! What is going through your mind?

Somehow i doubt it. Im pretty sure Super Mario Brothers was made for little kids as well, but you see how well Nintendo is doing with that, dont you? Saying "it was designed for little kids so the physics is garbage" is the most pathetic shit i've heard in a long time, dude.

What is with people here that don't seem to read my posts correctly? That is the EXACT opposite of what i said! Im berating the ppl who saying its for kids so the game is gonna suck. Seriously, please read more thoroughly next time.

Somehow, I've always felt that those moments of excessive speed where "gimmicks" for those levels only.

Like a distraction for a gameplay that lacks the player's freedom to abuse an unexistant number of actions?

EDIT: I might not be clear, but Sonic, in fact, doesn't do too much things in SU. They forgot that Sonic could be a flexible anime character, not only a "speed demon".

the whole blistering thing in SU looked fun at first, but once you do the same thing each level it gets boring... just running around is not fun for long...

and for me, I think id get confused for going too fast running around the levels, going like where do I go? Ive never played the game so I wouldn't know if its easy or not

Alright, so I sat down and watched this video...

http://kotaku.com/5630039/wait-this-time-the-new-sonic-game-does-look-good

And well, I guess it looks pretty for a Wii game (that's what it is right?) and the action looks passable. But the thing is, it's still making all the same mistakes I saw in Sonic Unleashed. Said video contained zero in the way of stage-specific gimmicks, and the entire focus on making the game distinct from the rest of the series seems not to focus at all on the stages, but instead on throwing some new gimmicky mechanic onto Sonic himself.

I think SEGA needs to stop thinking of Sonic as what needs a constant changing of focus and instead focus 90% of their creativity on the stages themselves. Transforming into a rocket is kind of neat I guess, but it pales in comparison to providing a unique way to get around that vertical gap without relying on some flaky super-power.

The stages are the real attraction to a platform game. The characters are just along for the ride.

I saw some images of the other levels and they definitely catch your eye! Lots of colors, excitement and brilliance! As for how they are as you play through them, we'll have to see...

My only worry is how short the game is gonna be, seeing as one of the creator said there was only like 5 to 6 acts and 8 zones or something (I forgot) And judging from the gameplay videos, like the Tropical Resort, If an act is about 3-4 min long (Including the boss), I don't how much game time you'll actually get. Of course there's a multiplayer and probably other stuff that lengthens it, idk though, Just pondering

I love the crowd cheering you on and the announcer saying, "Awesome, Amazing" as you play. That motivates me.

Yeah that's pretty cool, and it's kinda cool how he'd announce "COLOR!" "LASER!" or whatever.... In the recent videos though, I don't think the guy says color anymore when you get a wisp capsule like he did when the first Tropical Resort gameplay came out

That was an announcer? Heh didn't know. I figured Sonic was just being overly chatty like usual. Kinda neat actually.

God lets hope not ._. Cuz than I guess we know roger is obviously voicing sonic too deep XD

But yeah its cool! It's kinda hackneyed but it works for this game