A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Colors Thread

I think when DW says "new" he means something that doesn't get old really quickly. We all remember that split second when the warehog was new too and then he got old really quick.

Plus even if the wisps are new, powerups are almost always too gimmicky to be the sort of thing that makes or breaks a sequel. Improvements are what make sequels better and I don't really see the wisps as an improvement. I see the wisps only has another attempt to draw attention away from the fundemental problems of the current Sonic forumula.

That sounds silly. Like if you said "they keep using springs and rings in every game they make"

Wisps IS something different. Underwater sections IS something even more different for a 3D Sonic games.

I know you meant that levels lack level specific gimmicks and that's why they look so similar to you but wisps are level specific gimmicks of sort. And you haven't seen this aqua level in motion. Who knows how it plays like

Wisps aren't anything more than a means to a gimmicky special move. Gimmicky special moves in games are a dime a dozen.

Besides, it's obvious just looking at it how it will play. Same as the last game, right down to the silly little gimmick that got used in every stage that you sat in and then pushed a button for it to throw you somewhere.

Springs are of course, basic enough that they can be overlooked... but a lot of the stuff that gets reused isn't that basic. Too many of the building blocks are becoming standard. Crashing through blocks with ground pound is apparently a staple now right along side the spike and the spring and that cheap looking floating hoop thing that was whored all over Sonic Heroes.

Wisps aren't anything more than a means to a gimmicky special move. Gimmicky special moves in games are a dime a dozen.

Besides, it's obvious just looking at it how it will play. Same as the last game, right down to the silly little gimmick that got used in every stage that you sat in and then pushed a button for it to throw you somewhere.

Springs are of course, basic enough that they can be overlooked... but a lot of the stuff that gets reused isn't that basic. Too many of the building blocks are becoming standard. Crashing through blocks with ground pound is apparently a staple now right along side the spike and the spring and that cheap looking floating hoop thing that was whored all over Sonic Heroes.

Oh if that's what you are talking about I agree with you.

Personally I would get rid of dashpads and warp rings in every level but that's just me.

Plus even if the wisps are new, powerups are almost always too gimmicky to be the sort of thing that makes or breaks a sequel. Improvements are what make sequels better and I don't really see the wisps as an improvement. I see the wisps only has another attempt to draw attention away from the fundemental problems of the current Sonic forumula.
Sonic3kmonitors.png

gimmicky pieces of shit

You said it not I.

I for one see nothing wrong with Sonic 3 power up or the whisps. My original statement still stands and is true about the Sonic 3 shield as well.

Plus even if the wisps are new, powerups are almost always too gimmicky to be the sort of thing that makes or breaks a sequel.

Shields while nice didn't make or break Sonic 3.

The problem comes from lack of true improvements. Colors is focusing too much on Whisps and ignoring the fundemental problems of current Sonic games.

While I wouldn't say Sonic 2 had many fundemental problems. Sonic 3 did improve on Sonic 2 in a number of ways bigger levels, better graphics... you know all of this already. So far the only improvement I see in Colors is lack of the warehog. You have to do more than remove bad features and add power ups to make a game great.

Personally I think that Colors has much better level design than Sonic Unleashed (Sonic levels) had. Sonic Unleashed was one big QTE, Colors seems to play much more like a platform game.

I also think that Colors has much more superior graphical design than Unleashed had.

Isn't that improvement over previous title?

There's no denying that Colors will probably suck less than Unleashed. Surface improvements on top of a flawed concept still sucks though.

A lot of fan of the newer games defend Sega by saying Sonic games are slowly getting better. Much as you did here Felik. Heck I'll even give you that Unleashed was better than 06 and Colors will probably be better than Unleashed. But really making a good game isn't something that happens gradually over a series of releases. You sit down and make a good game and you work on the single game until its good. So this gradual improvement argument is a bust with me.

Now granted Sonic 1, 2, 3 are drastically different and each one gradually improved on the last. But the series started with Sonic 1 and it was a great game which other games in the series could build on top of. Unleashed is not the good game Colors should build on top of.

People always get on us when we say we wish the new games were like the old games. But come on a classic 3D sonic game with rolling physics would rock. Its not as if Sega hasn't tried several other ideas Unleashed, the wii storybooks, Heroes, even the Adventure games. They all tried new things and never lived up to expectations. Is it really a bad idea to go back to what worked in the past and see if that can't be translated into something that works in 3D.

Here's three questions that might make my point.

1. Which game Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario 64 is generally better liked?

2. Which of the above two games which game is Super Mario Galaxy most like?

3. Why did Nintendo choose to base Galaxy more off of (answer 2) instead of the other?

I'll answer these if no one gets them, I'm sure someone will though.

Maybe Colors is based on Unleashed day stages because everyone including our grandmoms said that Unleashed's day stager are made of epic win and has that fucking sense of speed everyone loves?

Personally I value platforming much more than that goddamn sense of speed and think that SA's Sonic stages were muuuuuch better that unleashed's day stages but IGN and other reviewer think different. They think that Unleashed's day stages is what u want.

But Colors is not the same shit SU was. I see that it has much more platforming and less "push da boost button" and there are much less bottomless pits as were in any other 3D Sonic game. Also QTEs that I hate are gone (I don't count A-A-A as QTE) and levels look much more vivid and colorful like Classic games were.

Maybe Colors is based on Unleashed day stages because everyone including our grandmoms said that Unleashed's day stager are made of epic win and has that fucking sense of speed everyone loves?

Not everyone. I thought the day stages in the HD versions were unfair, frustrating exercises of trial and error, and I am certainly not the only person who feels this way. For fuck's sake, the Wii version was actually fun.

Personally I value platforming much more than that goddamn sense of speed and think that SA's Sonic stages were muuuuuch better that unleashed's day stages but IGN and other reviewer think different. They think that Unleashed's day stages is what u want.

Then they're idiots. The lot of them.

But Colors is not the same shit SU was. I see that it has much more platforming and less "push da boost button"

Nearly all of the platforming is in the 2D sections. BIG IMPROVEMENT RIGHT THERE. YUP.

Speaking of the 2D sections, I am really getting fucking tried of this 50% 2.5D bullshit. Mario Galaxy 2 had 2.5D sections, sure, but they were few and far inbetween. It's Sega compensating for the fact that they still can't do good 3D Sonic to save their lives.

Not everyone. I thought the day stages in the HD versions were unfair, frustrating exercises of trial and error, and I am certainly not the only person who feels this way. For fuck's sake, the Wii version was actually fun.

I was joking. Of course I know that there are people who thinks this way. I think the same with the exception that wii's day stages are also shit.

It's just all this "reviewers" who say "Sonic runs fast = instant good Sonic game"

Then they're idiots. The lot of them.

Totally agree

Nearly all of the platforming is in the 2D sections. BIG IMPROVEMENT RIGHT THERE. YUP.

Speaking of the 2D sections, I am really getting fucking tried of this 50% 2.5D bullshit. Mario Galaxy 2 had 2.5D sections, sure, but they were few and far inbetween. It's Sega compensating for the fact that they still can't do good 3D Sonic to save their lives.

I don't know how about all levels but I noticed some good 3D platforming sections in Sweet mountain.

But I do agree that 2D sections are overused in this game.

I still think that Colors is a huge improvement over Sonic Unleashed.

So huge that I will probably say that it's the greatest 3D Sonic game when I'll play it.

I thought that sonic wasn't going to talk in this game?

you can hear his grunts in the video, and they recently released a video with Tails voice as the hint mark voice, but they skip through it fast so you can only parts of it... plus they said ther would be cutscenes so why wudnt he talk?

Sonic based on his grunts and just knowing RCS's voice I dont think he'll do sonic much justice

I actually like Tails' voice, however, while its sounds a tad more boyish it doesnt sound lively and I think he sounds more like a 10 or 11 year old now, I still prefer his previous VA but this one is ok too, they just need to work on the acting in "Voice Acting" though this might be the fault on the voice director

While reading a "feature" on Sonic Colors on a certain site, I found this:

This is a similar title to Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, but the similarity comes from the concept – keeping the tempo very fluid. A similar concept applies here. Is it the best since then? We always strive to make the best Sonic game yet. It’s at least on a par with Sonic Adventure Battle 2 [sic], and I’m confident it is one of the best Sonic games ever.

Sonic Colors = one of the best Sonic games ever? We'll find that out sooner or later. Wait, did I miss something?

We always strive to make the best Sonic game yet.

Which completely explains the LACKLUSTER efforts that were Shadow and Sonic 06?

I thought they always stored the emeralds inside Tails' poo-schute.

I was pretty excited when I first heard Sonic talk in Sadv. Was it Drummond? I dunno, but his voice suited him... and 90% of the time he kept his fucking mouth shut.

I was back at home a few weeks back and decided to play on Sonic Heroes and Sonic just wouldn't shut up. Just pointing out obvious shit. They'd bang puzzles in the game and then Fuckstick the Hedgehog would tell you exactly what to do.

Fuck.