A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Colors Thread

I think open world could work if it were open world in the same sense as Metroid or something. Not like a pure open thing where you can just say: "Oh, see that mountain in the distance? Imma go climb it!" more in the sense that there are junctions and you can backtrack whenever. Or maybe even something like Kirby Amazing Mirror.

Of course, that would mean it'd have to be more RPG flavored, and that's not really what Sonic is about. I wouldn't mind, but a lot of people probably would.

Well, there's many sorts of 'open world'. You've got the style popularised by GTA, you've got your Metroidvanias, you've got stuff like Mario 64's more open levels...

Personally, I think the best and easiest ways to go would be either the Metroidvania style or the Mario 64 style.

There's a whole bunch of ways to do Metroidvania, and if you want to be technical, Zelda is a Metroidvania in a sense. Hell, Sonic already has a Metroidvania - it was called Tails' Adventure, and it was a pretty sweet game. Taking the series into a Metroidvania route could certainly do well for the series - when Castlevania tried it, SOTN was declared the best game in the series by many. And it wasn't even declining! (Okay, yes, the 3D instalments are contested, but that's a different story.)

And Mario 64 style certainly would work extremely well for Sonic. One of the reasons why Rare decided to use vehicles for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (aside from not wanting to compete with Mario Galaxy), was because the levels ended up being HUGE. Obviously not a problem for Sonic. Hell, it could even work well for "get from Point A to B" objectives - let the player decide the route and what obstacles they want to get through in order to get to the goal as fast as they can. It removes the feeling that Unleashed and Colours gives you that you're being forced onto a railroad while there's a huge world around you. Give the player a ton of room to explore and find hidden goodies (which would make stuff like collecting medals far less aggravating), while also allowing for more traditional stuff.

And the kicker? It might force the developers to steer away from some questionable design elements.

I don't have a PS3/360, so I've only tried the Wii version of Unleashed, and I absolutely hated it. It was very un-Sonicy. And the lack of content is a shame; the first pics of Unleashed showed off Mazuri, and then they take it out of the Wii version as if nobody would notice. The graphics are pretty shit even for a Wii game, and you can tell everything is limited by the PS2's capabilities by how low-poly everything is, and the lack of content. (also why the hell was Dimps designing the day stages, and Sonic Team designing night stages? Shouldn't have it been the other way around? (well that explains why there's a lot more night stages lol - Dimps is lazy and Sonic Team isn't))

I'm glad Wii owners now have Colors, with no Dimps in sight. I think Colors is an "apology" for how bad Unleashed Wii was, and I'm glad Wii owners FINALLY have a true main series game to play with. All we've had so far is Secret Rings, a spinoff, Zero Gravity, another spinoff, and Unleashed Wii, a PS2 fangame by Dimps, and Black Knight, another spinoff. I miss the days when the Gamecube got every Sonic game coming out...

(I actually still don't have Sonic Colors ;_;, but I'm gonna get it as soon as possible)

Personally, I thought the Wii version was BETTER than the HD versions, but that's mainly because I thought the Werehog was an actual challenge, the levels weren't thirty minutes long, and the daytime stages weren't exercises in Trial and Error, and the final boss was better, too.

Nah. Instead, the Werehog stages were sparse, zoomed out, and even more boring, the day stages were even larger wastes of unexciting game space, and the final boss wasn't at all thrilling. It was cheap. First a rock-em sock-em robots sequences, then run around with the same excitement from the day stages, only with more trial and error, and then a mildly not-so-exciting Super Sonic *SNOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE*. It's pretty sad when the best part about that game were the Gaia temples' puzzle rooms.

I dunno. Unleashed HD may have the shitty medal collecting and the boring hub worlds and Tornado missions to slog through, but at least the action and visual presentation look way more exciting otherwise. And it also has two other continents that were left out of the Wii version.

I got this game today. I love it :D

I got this game on Tuesday. I love it :D.

Does anyone else feel that the final boss's difficulty did not match its epicness? From a cinematic point, I thought the final boss was SUPER EPIC. First you run down the giant laser thing, then you fight Eggman in a giant purple thing, hit him a few times and the song changes to a very epic version of Reach for the Stars, hit him more times and you have all the wisps come out and hit Eggman one last time but with the announcer saying all the wisps as they attack. Now, I thought that was really epic.

But from a difficulty point, the final stages/bosses were kinda lame... you run down the giant laser thing and jump a few times and boost a few times. Then you fight Eggman in his giant purple thing and after he uses Wisp attacks several times, he basically zooms forward and practically waits for Sonic to attack him while doing absolutely nothing. They should have made him a lot harder for phase 2, and the current entirety of phase 2 should have been mixed into phase 1.

I was surprised when I saw the screen say, "Terminal Velocity: Act 2". I was like, "yay, there's more! So there is an epic finish!", but then I was disappointed as I found out that Act 2 is just: you run down the giant laser thing again and literally jump like, 3 times, and congratulations, you beat the game. I mean, seriously, that was it?

But I still love this game.

EDIT: And did anyone else accidentally pressed down while in 2D mode, thinking Sonic would roll?

Watched a few levels and watched all the cutscenes.

....im very impressed. The cutscenes were actually funny, like i was watching SatAM or AoStH or something. It has that old 80/90s cartoon vibe to it.

Kudos to the writing team, and kudos to the new voice actors THANK GOD. Kudos to tails not riding sonic's penis and kudos to a plot that fits in a Sonic game and not some wannabe epic RPG or something. Kudos for Sonic once again being the cocky bastard he's supposed to be, and triple giga kudos to tails for having his own personality, actually being a genius, and cracking jokes. On sonic.

It's achievements allow me to overlook its shortcomings. Thats all ive been asking for, really.

Speaking of comparing versions.

My god, I love the wii version.

DS version is...well,...its not bad, I would agree with the argument that the DS version forces wisp use more often, and has better bosses.

Course, that's not what makes a sonic game is it? The Wii version felt very reminiscent of S3&K to me personally. Huge zones and constantly searching for that new path to a Giant ring. The rings were far more rewarding to collect in the wii version, as you normally had to do something pretty cool to snag most of them, Unlike the DS version which was more or less searching every path of the level, each path being roughly the same Dimps formula.

I don't know why there are all the complaints on asteroid coaster though, I never struggled with this zone, though planet wisp and aquatic park hit me pretty hard. I actually found asteroid coaster to be the easiest considering collecting red rings and getting high ranks :P. Meanwhile I spent a couple days just trying to get all the rings in one of the aquatic park acts.

Also I discovered while trying to get one of the rings, that if you mash all the buttons on a gamecube control at once in furious rage, your Wii resests, making things worse.

i just got the game today.

holy shit it's great.

the soundtrack is one of the best i've heard in a game recently, and apart from Super Mario Galaxy, is the prettiest Wii game I've ever seen.

I even laughed at one of the cutscenes.

I'm impressed sega. CLAP CLAP.

Got this game on Wii and DS for Christmas. On WiiWii, even though I've finished the story, I'm still not sure what to make of this game, which is rather unusual for me, normally I like main-series Sonic games once I get the hang of them. At times, the 2D bits feel too much like Smash Bros rather than a Sonic game, and I can't seem to get used to the feel of controlling Sonic, made worse as this game has that annoying problem where you're trying to do a tricky platforming bit but end up falling to your death because Sonic didn't jump when you pressed the jump button.

Also, although not a fault of the game, playing this game reminded me just how bad my eyesight's getting as I was finding it tricky to see things, and kept losing track of where Sonic was during the 2D bits that zoom out so he looks microscopic. Some levels seem to go on too long while others are too short, and then there's the recycled bosses, booooooo!

At least I can say this feels more consistant than other 3D Sonics, it does try something slightly different without going too far, and it doesn't force you to play a treasure hunting level, a shooting level, a werehog level or a level that's one long QTE. And some of the cutscenes are funny. Obviously it can't be that bad if I've played all the way through, but maybe I just need to stick with it, maybe this game will grow on me.

And as for the DS version? I haven't played much of it yet, but so far it mostly feels like recycled Sonic Rush with lazy graphics.

DAMN I'm in whinge mode tonight, what did poor ol' Sonic Colours ever do to me? Just look at me go! :)

• 2 weeks later...