A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Portal: The best free puzzle game?

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware that steam is giving portal (one of the greatest 3d puzzles games ever; see below for my thoughts on the game) away for free, for a limited time. So if you don't have it, stop reading this thread and go download it (NOW!!).

However, for those of you who have played it must agree with this statement: this game is freakin awesome. Although the game is quite short (I beat it in an afternoon) that is the only thing I found wrong with this game. I Loved the physics and although they take time to get used to once you do get used to them they are pretty cool to play around with. Some of the puzzles were quite challenging. I also enjoyed some of the twists this game had like the room with the fire and others in that nature. The eerie music was kind of fitting to the game specially during the cool parts towards the end.

Well just a reminder to those who haven't experienced this game yet, GET IT WHILE YOU CAN!!!

In this Youtube video: Mac user doesn't get it. Nobody cares. I mean he is whinging about a minor update for the fact his video card isn't compatible? He's an idiot.

("Steam starts when the computer starts." Learn to Google.)

Indeed, but I do believe you don't get the Source SDK with the free version (at least I didn't).

Source SDK is free. Because gamers are getting portal free which runs on the newest Source engine, you'll get the Orange Box Source SDK for free too. TOOLS ARE FREE.

Source SDK is free. Because gamers are getting portal free which runs on the newest Source engine, you'll get the Orange Box Source SDK for free too. TOOLS ARE FREE.

Does it say this on the page about Portal being free?

You get the SDK if you pay for a Valve product. I did not pay for Portal, therefore I neither have, nor do I see any options for, the Source SDK. I suggest you read the Steam forums' Portal section.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14992886&postcount=8

Sslaxx: Why would you tell me to read forums I obviously don't need to read because I have a working product? I'm not the one who needs to research my gaming goods that I gained for free. I bought the Orange Box.

Thanks for the bolding you douche. I totally wouldn't have understood what you wrote unless you bolded the word "pay." Screw you.

Yup, I saw this from a friend a while back.

For those creating new steam accounts, this game truly is a deal as it gives you access to the Steam Community (Which you would normally have had to pay for a game first).

But yeah, it was a bit of a bummer that the Source SDK wasn't included. I actually BOUGHT a (useless) copy of GMOD on the assumption that it would work.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

This game was rather...different. I've played much more interesting puzzle games that had me stumped for hours, but this was very simple, I never really struggled to see what had to be done. I suppose I have yet to try the more challenging maps yet though. The portal concept itself is neat though and its rather interesting to see what can be done with them.

Yes, I know. But I bought this computer in August 2005...I know it might be old, but it shouldn't be fuckin' obsolete in less than 5 years.

I was also hoping it was one of those bullshit minimum requirements. But, no, fuck universal apps...